DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Scream Factory's Shocktober sale is...not much of a sale. Steelbooks are 17 bucks if you need another copy of Army of the Dead. I was hoping some of the back catalogue would get discounted. But a lot of it is still around 20 bucks.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:39 PM, driver said:

Picked up Sicario: Day Of The Soldado this morning and the first movie was thrown in for free.

Is the sequel any good? Loved the first one.

50% Criterion Flash sale right now!

How am I going to explain to my frugal wife when Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Repo Man, and Female Trouble show up?????

(Also Night and the City and Blow Up...yeah, I'm giving out generic brown wrapper candy for Halloween this year. "Sorry, kids, but there was a Criterion sale. You'll understand some day.")

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So Warner/ATT are killing off Filmstruck. They say it is too "niche." Why buy it then? Oh yes, because they have to make sure that nothing that is "niche" and not "mass" is allowed to exist in any way.

Thanks, Capitalism!

Hold on to those discs, boys.

• Sad 1

So I guess I don't have to periodically check if Filmstruck is coming to PS4 every few months.

How niche is "too niche" in this day in age? There are people making money by playing Dungeons and Dragons on Twitch and somehow streaming movies is "too niche"

This sounds conspiracy theorish, but it is 100% fact.

If you have digital connections in your DVD/blu-ray/cd player/streaming device (and you do) they are constantly checking the DRM of the media that you insert into the player/stream.  At any point, a corporation can say that a certain version of any media is no longer supported, and it will become unplayable, even with physical media.  When broadcasters upgraded to Digital TV, it was for this reason.  Physical media will not save your movies.

My DVD player doesn't have an internet connection at all. I don't see any way anyone could send it a message to not work any more. My Blu-Ray player is a PS4 that can be unplugged from the Ethernet cable and doesn't know my wi-fi password. I think I might be OK. Also as soon as we get this Brexit nonsense cancelled I'll be living in Europe for the foreseeable future. And the EU parliament doesn't take anywhere near as much shit from big business as the Americans do.

It's not a matter of firmware updates to ethernet connections, it's a matter of encryption between players and monitors and if they have the keys built into their firmware, and that those packets are transferred via HDMI/DVI/the various Video ports.  It's why you can't plug a PS4 out of the box via converter into an old component only TV, or use a Roku stick the same way, it has to go into a vaild HDMI/DVI port.  The way around this, is to never upgrade your player, never upgrade your TV, hope they all live.  Or, go scouring down rabbit holes and get stuff that tells this simple method to pound sand.

• Like 1

Here's the best part, Broadcasters can *force* updates via terrestrial digital signals.  It's how electronic programming guides get updated automatically.

As for being safe in the UK, the DMCA only implemented WIPO standards, of which the UK/EU are members.