DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

We do an Italian movie series at work and the new people in charge have been buying us Criterion editions of everything they want to show, and once we show them I pretty much inherit the DVD's, so I've got myself copies of Bicycle Thieves, La Strada, Amarcord, Il Sorpasso & The Great Beauty all within the last few months.  

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 4:56 PM, odessasteps said:

Cross posting from the criterion thread:

October releases include sisters, shampoo and the princess bride 

I'm way more into the Sisters announcement than Princess Bride, and I loooooooooooove Princess Bride. My problem is that it'll really take a lot to make me interested in another disc of that movie. More than just updated cast interviews and a new scan of the film. Sisters I don't have and would love to have it.

Shampoo I haven't seen but I dig Hal Ashby so I might say that has more of my interest than The Princess Bride. I may have my "As You Wish" card revoked. If you guy's haven't seen The Naked Prey, I definitely recommend it. Cornel Wilde runnin his ass off. Good times.

Honestly, I haven't been knocked out by this year's Criterion announcements overall. I keep holding my breath for a Z upgrade or (hope hope hope) that rumored Godzilla set, and I keep passing out.

Anyone get the Criterion Breakfast Club? Worth it?

• Like 1

There is such a thing as 'too modern'.

Watching the Criterion of sex, lies, and videotape, and there's a scene with a rotary phone where Laura San Giacomo's voice is so clear over the phone that she may as well be whispering in your ear. Who knows if it was always like that but, really, after all this time, you couldn't down mix the sound?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just realized Princess Bride is #948. And it's out the week of Halloween. Which means #1000 is next Halloween, so...Rob Zombie's getting the Criterion treatment?

Then again, based on the title alone, A Thousand Clowns would be WAY more terrifying.

EDIT: The IMDB page for it mentioned the Spanish title: Mil Payasos. This seems like a totally missed gimmick in Lucha - someone could just use face paint to copy famous luchador masks, or KISS, or superheroes, or anything they wanted (I guess clowns, even). It could be hilarious. And the eventual rudo turn would also be the stuff of nightmares.

What's funny is that when J.T. has talked about House over and over again, I thought to myself, "Wait, the Criterion people bought up the William Kaat/Martin Moll movie? I remember that piece of shit. Why would they do that? Was it memorable for, I don't know, being the death knell of haunted house movies or certain make-up effects or something?"  And now I follow that Arrow link, and, "Oh, there is the House I remember!"

• Haha 1

I imagine it's over now, but Diabolik DVD had an Arrow pre-order sale last week.  Picked up Schlock (due out in October, ugh). I threw on another pre-order, the AFGA/Bleeding Skull release of "Ninja Zombie" (also out in October).

I remember when I bought my first LD player. It was almost a thousand dollars and I paid for it with a huge smile on my face. 1997. Still have it, still works, and I would fight to the death before I'd let it or the 100+ LDS's I have go. My main treasures are the unfucked with Star Wars Trilogy (purchased in Japan), Drunken Master II (90 bucks and still smiling)  and The Seventh Seal.  

• Like 1

I have a weird project I'm doing with my films.  I got the idea watching one of those "How It's Made" type shows on bookbinding.

I'm writing a movie review guide slash personal memoir/journal for my daughter's eyes only, as I watch my way through my movie collection.  Sometimes it's part thesis, then it swerves into a wild recollection of some asinine adventure of my youth.  She'll get the collection in my passing, plus, hopefully, a Videohound-type of movie guide biography of her daddy, bound like a library book.  That she can later sell in a garage sale, if she tires of it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My LD got zapped by lightning 20 years ago.

I still have all my discs,including those awesome Looney Tunes sets and the Japanese Pulp Fiction I bought for my aborted grad school thesis on QT 

Did the LD Looney Tunes sets have cartoons not on the 6 disc Golden Collection DVD set?  I bought that for my daughter a few years ago, I think we've watched it start to finish three or four times.

6 hours ago, nate said:

I have a weird project I'm doing with my films.  I got the idea watching one of those "How It's Made" type shows on bookbinding.

I'm writing a movie review guide slash personal memoir/journal for my daughter's eyes only, as I watch my way through my movie collection.  Sometimes it's part thesis, then it swerves into a wild recollection of some asinine adventure of my youth.  She'll get the collection in my passing, plus, hopefully, a Videohound-type of movie guide biography of her daddy, bound like a library book.  That she can later sell in a garage sale, if she tires of it.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing for a while. My oldest son has enjoyed some of my collection with me. Sometimes it's the more obvious stuff like Beetlejuice or Ghostbusters. But sometimes he'll get into Harold Lloyd or Chaplin, or the Hitchcock films.  I wanted to write about all the movies so he and his little brother could eventually understand why I love film so much.