DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

The best is that Amazon just lowered the prices on craploads of Criterions, likely just to stick it to B&N and their sale. So now I have to ask myself if I cancel the pre-order again and re-order it from the Evil Empire, now that what I wanted is cheaper there again.

After the last sale debacle with B&N I've decided I'm never buying from there again. So I opted to buy the following, sight unseen, from the DeepDiscount sale:

1. YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY

Another Giallo from Arrow. Google Synopsis: Oliviero is a drunk, burned-out writer who amuses himself by hosting orgies and humiliating his wife. When a number of women are murdered in grisly fashion, Oliviero becomes a prime suspect.

If this is half as good as its title, then it will be well worth the money. I've been digging into giallo over just the last three or so years and I find it grotesque and highly enjoyable. My current favorite is probably What Have You Done To Solange?

2. THE GREEN SLIME

From 1968. According to the Trailer From Hell I saw, this one is an American production that was filmed totally in Japan, and it has that aesthetic, especially in the SFX. Guys in rubber suits, model sets, etc. It looks bonkers and has it's own theme song with a Tom Jones vocalist howling "GREEEN SLIIIIIIIIIIME". I think what's more amazing is that while this film was being made with its special effects, 2001 A Space Odyssey was also being made with its amazing space effects.

3. THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES

This is, I think, Sergio Leone's credited directorial debut. It looks fucking bonkers, with a cool set and lots of stunts. Love those old school epics where the fights weren't protected by a lot of closeups and edits. No that guy falls down the goddamn stairs FOR REAL. I also think I got this so I can copy and paste some of it into a Dungeons and Dragons game I'm running.

• Like 1

Look up the director of The Green Slime and you'll laugh your ass off comparing the quality of the OTHER films he made with THAT. 

My Kino-Lorber package came in yesterday. River's Edge was watched again for the thousandth time. It is still my high school years on film... let that set in for a minute. Down to the one-legged drug hookup, no less. At least now I can laugh about it more than I used to...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OH SHIT IT'S KINJI FUKASAKU?!?!?!?!?! I have all the Battles Without Honor and Humanity films so he's all over my shelf now. I can't believed I overlooked that. 

I should have pulled the trigger on my Kino order. Those prices were ridiculous. I started out with like 200 bucks worth of shit and tried to shave it down to 75. It felt impossible so I gave up and then the sale was over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah if I was getting paid still I would have dropped at least $75, probably. What pisses me off the most though is that I can't find a streaming site with freakin' The Awful Dr. Orlof (which I wanted to buy but had to pass on). You'd think it's a total public domain title like all those old Barbara Steele Italian flicks but I guess not. 

Celebrated America yesterday by going to a 2nd hand bookstore. I never find much I want as far as Blurays go at resale spots. It's always the same collection of shit everywhere. But yesterday....yesterday America came through and I was able to find an inexpensive copy of Arrow's release of BLIND WOMAN'S CURSE. My Meiko Kaji collection grows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, driver said:

Thanks to you fuc...highly esteemed people who broaden my horizons...I have added the Sartana Collection and ,thanks to Amazon's recco's, The Great Silence.

I was actually coming to this thread to let people know that the Sartana collection was out now... Guess you already knew ;)

That's been showing up a lot in my Facebook feed, lately.  As well as ads for the Laserblast alien figure.  Weird synchronicity, but I usually choose not to question such things.

Afraid Prime Day deals are going to force me to auction off my kids. Half hoping there's a sale on films I don't want.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, driver said:

Picked up Once Upon A Time In America

Almost grabbed that because I've never seen it and it was only 7 bucks.

From Kino Lorber:

Coming Soon!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Black Windmill (1974)

Starring Michael Caine, Donald Pleasence, Delphine Seyrig, Clive Revill, John Vernon, Joss Ackland, Janet Suzman and Catherine Schell

Directed by Don Siegel

Screenplay by Leigh Vance - Based on a Novel by Clive Egleton

Music by Roy Budd