DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

On 12/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, jaedmc said:

Yeah got my Deep Discount order without a hitch, so now I have all of the original Yakuza Papers flicks. There's something terribly satisfying about completing a series. Emphasis on terrible.

Isn't @Brian Fowlerthe big Behind The Mask mark on the board? Coming in March: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/behind-the-mask-the-rise-of-leslie-vernon-collector-s-edition?product_id=6622

BTM.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

I think I gotta check this out. I saw Angela Goethals in a local play in 2010 that was quite good.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, jaedmc said:

Man I wish there was indie DVD/BR sellers. I'd give anything for a real specialty DVD/BR brick and mortar store.

There actually is at least one - https://4xblu.com/

The actual store is in LA, but he has an online shop too. He specializes in imports. Can't vouch for him as I've never used them, but the guy who runs it frequents a message board I also frequent and I've never heard any complaints from other board members.

On 12/30/2017 at 5:30 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Sopranos Season 2 (finally) 

This made me laugh. Also Do watch Green Room, it's incredibly good. I think I watched it during the day, and when my wife came home I said let's watch this movie I just watched like 5 hours ago.

My Christmas haul was pretty dope.

Tampopo

Kwaidan

Casablanca(finally)

The Lodger(of the newly restored Hitchock silent films. that is notable for being the first to "feel like a Hitchcock film")

Wings(the 1927 Clara Bow film that happened to win the first Oscar for Best Picture. It's notable for me because Clara Bow is outstanding.)

Wolf Guy (Sonny Chiba is a fucking werewolf.)

Also got some Christmas cash that will undoubtedly go towards some of the stuff on the ol' Amazon list. But I'm super stoked about the movies I got. My wife's family hooked me up.

• Like 3

Oh, I saw Green Room in the theater, no worries. It and Westworld are the only ones gone unwatched so far (along with a bunch of Sopranos), mainly because I've been trying to knock out the third and fourth seasons of Tales from the Crypt that have been staring at me for over a month. 

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Wolf Guy (Sonny Chiba is a fucking werewolf.)

You gotta be shitting me. 

Welp, I guess you aren't. EXTREME VIOLENCE AND HEROISM! RELENTLESS WOLF ACTION! (That trailer is def. NSFW btw)

I should also mention that I received Wolf Guy from my Mother In Law who is very nice retiree who watches Ellen everyday. Among the dozens and dozens of movies on my Amazon wish list, this is the one she went with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I should also mention that I received Wolf Guy from my Mother In Law who is very nice retiree who watches Ellen everyday. Among the dozens and dozens of movies on my Amazon wish list, this is the one she went with.

Mother-in-lawdmc: Gangsta af.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, jaedmc said:

Reminds me of a Xmas gift from my then 84 year old grandmother. Got an Italian made Caligula ripoff starring Laura Gemser on DVD. The DVD looks like they used an old  rental VHS for a source. 

Nice. I'll probably be picking that up soon. I remember watching that in highschool and it really blowing my fucking my mind. It really shook me up at the end.

It also ruined Amy Heckerling's Loser for me. Though I suspect age would have ruined Loser for me regardless.

Does anyone here do imports? Tips on buying a region free player? I'm going to get one because I'm sick of seeing all the cool discs the UK are getting.

23 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Nice. I'll probably be picking that up soon. I remember watching that in highschool and it really blowing my fucking my mind. It really shook me up at the end.

It also ruined Amy Heckerling's Loser for me. Though I suspect age would have ruined Loser for me regardless.

Does anyone here do imports? Tips on buying a region free player? I'm going to get one because I'm sick of seeing all the cool discs the UK are getting.

Nowadays, I just use VLC player on my laptop to play R2 stuff.

To follow up on the Xmas stuff, I FINALLY got through Green Room and Westworld (and all of the Tales from the Crypt staring at me, too). Me and my friend Greg actually synched up on Green Room and texted back and forth the whole time. The band stuff went down a little easier this time though I still know exactly where my ass would be headed as soon as I walked in that venue -- right back the way I came. Starting off a set in an NS/WP-ran venue with "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" is one of the most insanely stupid things I've seen in a film to this day. Out of all the nasty stuff in the film, the first one

Spoiler

Anton Yelchin (RIP) getting his arms hacked up by machetes

is still the most unforgiving and uncomfortable ones. And how did I hate it so that  

Spoiler

my crush Alia Shawkat ended up getting ate by the dogs. Hey, she's only six years younger than me, it's not that gross. Really...

Westworld is completely passable trash with huge gaping lapses of logic. Yul Brynner is still terrifying. "Draw!"

On the one hand, I love having almost anything I can think of available to me at my fingertips. On the other, that electric charge you get when you make that special find in some second-hand store is irreplaceable. I also really, really miss Tower Records. Perfect blend of the commercial and the obscure.

• Like 1

There are some days I want to watch Something i have on dvd that’s buried in a box, but is not free on Prime or what have you. 

I wish there was an electronic registry that once you buy an object in physical media, that grants you rights to it digitally. 

• Like 1

Good lord. I went back to that store today... not a good idea. At least for my wallet, anyway. Here's the roll call:

Kill Baby Kill

Fascination (which I saw sitting in a stack behind the counter and ended up being an extra $15)

Point Blank

Wild At Heart

Snatch ($3.99 so I couldn't pass it up)

The missing pieces were Blood and Black Lace (already have it on VHS), Demons 2, Bird w/Crystal Plumage, and True Romance which I should be kicking myself in the ass over for still not owning after all these years. This shit ended up running me $50 I did not need to spend. The life of a film addict...

• Like 1

Wild At Heart seemed a lot longer than I originally remember, and most of those scenes seemed to be Nic Cage and Laura Dern fucking. Then I watched the first of the special features and had no idea that Lynch changed the dialogue/performance of the "fuck me" scene to make it crazier THE DAY OF WHILE ON SET (!!!) and that they also filmed the death of Harry Dean Stanton differently and got a 200 person walk-out (out of 400 or so) because it freaked everyone out and made some of them even complain of physical reactions like heart palpitations. If that's not in the rest of the extras I'm gonna be pissed. 

Point Blank was a whole lotta Lee Marvin. No complaints, of course. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot that I went to make room for more vinyl in the back room the other day and what's sitting there on VHS that I forgot about? True Romance. Go figure

• Like 1

Target and Best Buy announcing that they'll no longer sell music CDs and Netflix original movies never being released in physical form are two steps towards the death of the format.

Not to be a buzzkill, just wondering if people were aware and agree or disagree.

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Target and Best Buy announcing that they'll no longer sell music CDs and Netflix original movies never being released in physical form are two steps towards the death of the format.

Not to be a buzzkill, just wondering if people were aware and agree or disagree.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

... that I went to make room for more vinyl in the back room the other day and what's sitting there on VHS ....

I for one feel fairly certain there'll always be the market for physical media.  Will it become a niche market?  Oh certainly.  But hell, the bastions of all things retail - Amazon and Wal-Mart - sell records online (not so much cassettes or VHS, because those are extremely flawed media, moreso than vinyl even), so I imagine DVDs/Blus will just be more expensive.  Which they mostly are now anyway, as some movies that are 5+ yrs old are still $20 on Blu (waiting for you, Big Hero 6).

Yeah, there's always gonna be someone like myself that wants physical media and doesn't just rely on streaming services for film or an iPod for their music. VHS is dead, tapes are very niche market, but CDs and vinyl are here to stay. 

Best Buy getting rid of CDs is quite a hit but they've been downgrading that shit for years. Back in the day that place was 30-40% music/video store and now there's nothing.