DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

For TV shows, i think its rewatchability (Simpson's, Futurama). Or, not so much now, but stuff that was never regularly on in syndication or niche cable channels. I was so happy when M:I was finally on DVD, since it wasn't on cable at the time. Of course now, most shows are prob on netflix/Amazon or some tweaked version on YouTube or daily motion. 

I have a lot of TV series in my collection, independent of the movies.  But sweet jumpin jeezus, the movie collection alone will take forever to catalog, I'll never get to the television collection.  I have Columbo, Ultraman, several cartoons/ animated shows.  If it was anything I watched with my mom and dad or grandmother, or during college, I grabbed it.  Last TV show I picked up was Sledge Hammer.  If they ever put out Matt Frewer's "Doctor Doctor" I'm so on top of that.

• Like 1

So I have a seperate section of the shelf for all the kids movies. Just got my son to alphabetize it with me. 

He said "THIS IS FUN."

Now he's alphabetizing his games on his own accord.

The disease is in him.

• Haha 1

I think I have around 200 discs or so, and probably still have 50-75 VHS tapes.  I haven't gotten around to cataloging them.  I stopped for a while, but with the kids and a membership in Disney Movie Club, I've started rebuilding.  I'm finding myself buying things in the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital packs, if available, so I can watch remotely if I don't have the physical media.

This is a little out of the video box but since Jae brought up alphabetizing, me and a buddy were just talking about how we organize our record collections. His is pretty much "I know when I got it so I don't half to rifle through much". Mine is much the same way but I've taken to merging multiple albums from different bands together for easy finding and have even separated some specific genres. How does everyone do this for their collections? Honestly, my DVDs are all over the place. For some reason I can't bring myself to organize them at all. And the VHS, there's just no way -- I have so many tapes with multiple titles on them from back in the day that it would be impossible (plus almost every one is in crates now)

EDIT: I did use to alphabetize burned CDRs and actually make my own packaging for them out of pieces of paper with tracklists on them, but that OCD-level madness faded a long time ago haha

Like I mentioned, I organize the discs ABC. 

TV shows are separated. Kids movies are separated.

I also separate box sets. I was listening to a podcast where a guy said that he mixes the boxsets in with the regular discs. He either places it according first movie listed(if it's a double feature) or he places it according to the movie he identifies most from a bigger set. So Criterion's Yojimbo/Sanjuro set goes under Y. The Coen Bros four disc box would be under "r" for Raising Arizona, not "B" for Blood Simple or "F" for Fargo.

I couldn't get behind this. It just makes it look clunky. So I do the single movie discs together. Then I have the other boxsets organized afterwards like my Herzog set, The Scorpion Female Prisoner set, The Thin Man set etc.

That scene from High Fidelity, where he chooses to list everything Autobiographical really speaks to me.

• Like 1

I mix box sets and multi-film discs in with the single discs, but I go one of two ways: If the box has a name ("the Abbot and Costello Collection"), I still alphabetize by title.  If the set is simply named for the movies, I just go with the first movie in the set.

Anything else is just the rantings of a madman.

I'm a person who prefers the physical stuff...no Beavis and Butthead hur hyur please ; )

You won't be surprised to find most of my DVD movies are comic book films, The Dark Knight Trilogy and nearly all of the MCU movies. After that it's horror with Let The Right One In, Shaun of the Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre , Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead I want to mention by name. I really like my Clint Eastwood so the Dollars Trilogy and Unforgiven the standouts. I also have the Bourne Trilogy box sets.

TV box sets include Batman: The Animated Series, Batman '66, Fawlty Towers and Family Guy before it went to shit.

Vinegar Syndrome has three I want to get.  If Kino Lorber has a decent deal, might grab a few.  There have been some new movies that have hit the street that I'm hoping Wal-Mart will have enough copies of, particularly the most recent Marvel films (Doctor Strange, Sm: Homecoming, GotG 2).  And if Warner Bros Archive does something like their old Buy 4 for $44, I'll be done.

I have to remind my nearest and dearest, "it could be worse ... I could be on drugs", for context.

Provided everything I ordered comes in, this Black Friday's haul put me within two shy of 2700.

Nice Guys 
Maps to the Stars
Sausage Party
Straight Outta Compton
The Villainess 
Night Angel
Malibu High
Blood Beat
Demon Wind
The Villain
Sitting Target
Kansas City Bomber
The Hunger
Spiderman:Homecoming
Wonder Woman
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
Underworld: Blood Wars 
Resident Evil: the final chapter
Lego Batman
War of the Planet of the Apes 
Teen Titans: Judas Contract
Justice League Dark
Gyo Tokyo Fish Attack (thanks to an ad from this board)

Man they had the entire Resident Evil collection for 6 bucks and I missed it. If there's any series worth 6 bucks it's that one.

Arrow videos are half off on Barnes and Noble. I've been trying to buy the last three installments of the original Yakuza Papers series and I'm getting blocked.

I keep trying to pay with Paypal and this screen comes up. Any ideas on how to fix? B&N support and Paypal are being quiet:

b&n.png

8 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Man they had the entire Resident Evil collection for 6 bucks and I missed it. If there's any series worth 6 bucks it's that one.

Arrow videos are half off on Barnes and Noble. I've been trying to buy the last three installments of the original Yakuza Papers series and I'm getting blocked.

I keep trying to pay with Paypal and this screen comes up. Any ideas on how to fix? B&N support and Paypal are being quiet:

Might be an obvious suggestion but do you run any ad blocking or privacy apps on your browser like AdblockPlus, uBlock etc? if so, try switching them off on the BN page. might do the trick.

Went out to Barnes today to find some books for my homie for Xmas but there was nothing. There's not even a horror section anymore, everything is either Gen Fiction or Romance or Mystery. It's fucking weird (or maybe not so weird since the printing falloff). The Criterion stuff is amazing but their vinyl, as much as they've tried to keep it up (or not) is just terrible. Keeping shit un-alphabetized even in the right letter irks the shit out of me. It didn't help that the place was as packed as Walmart with kids, parents, etc. No wonder everyone just orders everything online anymore. 

As a breath of fresh air I went out to my local record haunt and got a sweet copy of Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill for 15 bones :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ultimo The Great said:

Might be an obvious suggestion but do you run any ad blocking or privacy apps on your browser like AdblockPlus, uBlock etc? if so, try switching them off on the BN page. might do the trick.

I actually tried that, and tried doing it all on another device. B&N's one suggestion on the matter was to clear my cache and try another browser. To which I said:

They haven't spoken to me since. 

Was on the phone with Paypal for 2 hours today. That went nowhere. They use customer service speak like "your issue has been escalated" which means they've passed it on to other people who have no idea what's going on. And they said that they needed a system refresh, that some how requires 2-3 hours to happen, which I think means call back when someone else can deal with this shit.

I can't express how pissed I am about all of this.

• Sad 1

Welcome to my world. Amazon raped my wallet after sending me two wrong vinyls in a row before finally getting it right because I refused to send them back. These big retailers are for the birds; best to keep it indie. 

If I could bottle the rage in my conversations with those poor motherfuckers on the other end of the line I could probably sell it as a drug

• Haha 1

Man I wish there was indie DVD/BR sellers. I'd give anything for a real specialty DVD/BR brick and mortar store.

Most places that do resale, resell the same shit that everyone bought in college a billion years ago. They've got 83 copies of ROAD TRIP UNRATED EDITION, 30 copies of ELF and all the other shit no one wants anymore.

It's totally unsustainable of course. 

• Like 1

I'm lucky in that I live in a college town with three record stores and a Disc Rewind that is basically what you described plus a zillion gems hidden in the dreck. And also, I don't collect DVDs as much anymore, so that helps. Really, thinking about it, we just need a Discogs for movies. 

(Xmas is coming up though and I'm getting those Criterions of Thief and The Long Good Friday, mark my words)