DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Wizard? The NES movie from '89? That was floating around on Dish recently and I caught a bit of it, remembering loving it -- or at least the video game parts -- as a kid. It was so preposterous I didn't make it through five minutes. 

probably about 7-8 years ago, i bought a 2pack dvd set of this and Cloak & Dagger. Like you, i remember LOVING the Wizard. sat down with my wife to watch it. what a shit ass movie.  Cloak & Dagger, on the other hand, was actually pretty decent. Still preposterous, as mid 80s kids movies are, but enjoyable. I've actually watched it a time or two since then (where as with the Wizard i didn't finish it and haven't gone back to it).

It's baffling that anyone... ANYONE! thought that a story involving two 13-year olds and a nine year old hitchhiking cross-country in the '80s would have any shred of plausibility. And get this, the studio actually thought THIS was a good idea, too. 

In an interview with Retro Gamer, director Holland admitted that he had some issues with the final script: "I argued with the studio that we were shooting way too much footage – more than we could ever possibly use [...] I lost the argument and was told flat out by Universal to shoot the entire script".[10] According to Holland, the original cut of the film was over 2.5 hours long and that nearly an hour of footage needed to be deleted in order to make the film a suitable length for family viewing.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

11 hours ago, Control said:

Some of you sick freaks might enjoy this:

Plaga Zombie: Zona Mutante is one of my favourite surprises from video store days. A friend and I picked it, knowing nothing about it beyond thinking it had a cool name, and were blown away by how fun it was. The video store had a thing where you could also buy any of the movies off of them, so rather than return it, I just paid for the disc. I'm sure I paid some preposterous amount, like $50, because it was their only copy but I've never regretted it. I just assumed that I would never find it again and this was the early 2000s, so while Amazon was a thing, things weren't quite as instantaneously available like now.

That same night we also rented the movie Dumpster Baby, as the box art made it seem like a baby getting revenge after being left in a dumpster. That one was a huge disappointment, a definite no buy. It is about an abandoned baby, but it just gets passed off to a bunch of strange characters before I believe it ends up with someone who adopts it. No baby revenge at all

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

probably about 7-8 years ago, i bought a 2pack dvd set of this and Cloak & Dagger. Like you, i remember LOVING the Wizard. sat down with my wife to watch it. what a shit ass movie.  Cloak & Dagger, on the other hand, was actually pretty decent. Still preposterous, as mid 80s kids movies are, but enjoyable. I've actually watched it a time or two since then (where as with the Wizard i didn't finish it and haven't gone back to it).

Second movie story. I was a super young kid when Cloak and Dagger came out (4? I think). My aunt and uncle took me and my sister out to the movies one day, as they were deciding if they wanted kids and would spend some time with us to gauge how they liked it. They bought us a big bag of popcorn and a big bag of twizzlers and I ate too many way too fast and ended up violently throwing up in the lobby because they couldn't get me to the bathroom quick enough.  To this day, the thought of eating both at the same time makes me feel a little queasy (and I've not like twizzlers since). Weirdly, I've always had a soft spot for that movie since. They still bring it up and how traumatizing it was, but they had a kid like a year later, so it must not have been that bad. You're welcome, Glenn and Marilyn

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's actually on right now on Flix if you wanna try and catch replays. You can On Demand it too.

Trivia: I got to go to Universal Studios Florida when I was a kid and got snuck into (I was too young) what else... the show Arcade. Sadly Jaws was closed, just like Pirates of the Caribbean was closed when we went to Disneyland. The cool stuff was getting to see a makeup FX tutorial and a Hitchcock presentation where they gave you 3D glasses and had birds fly at the screen. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Original Spanish audio too, thank God! Hearing that the Mill Creek set released a while ago only had the terrible modern English dubs commissioned for El Rey broke my heart, as did the couple times I tried putting on an El Santo movie on Tubi where the remaster looked gorgeous but also had the shit dubs with no original Spanish option. 

• Like 1

Vinegar Syndrome has a weekend sale where 200 titles are at half-price, which is okay but I already had the titles I wanted.

The big get for me was, they have put "Unmasking the Idol" on Blu.  I've been trying for 2-3 years to get a copy of this movie, because I'll watch anything that has a baboon with a gun in it.

• Like 1