DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Has anyone here gone 4K?  When I started buying movies again

I kind of promised myself that Blu Ray was the last/best I would ever need and I don't really feel like buying a separate player and double dipping even on the classics.  But it looks like on the boutique front it's profitable enough that 4K re-issues of already released and relatively "big" titles are going to take up a bigger piece of the pie.

I'm really not interested. My Blu + DVD player was a fine, cheap buy, and unless 4K gets that cheap, no dice. 

Oh, and nothing like Flesheater belongs on a fucking 4K version. It doesn't deserve ANY digital version! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, and nothing like Flesheater belongs on a fucking 4K version. It doesn't deserve ANY digital version! 

I have one of the highest tolerances for bad movies of anyone alive and I would not watch this movie again even if they agreed to credit the 80 minutes back onto my life expectancy afterward.

Edited by piranesi
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

I kind of promised myself that Blu Ray was the last/best I would ever need and I don't really feel like buying a separate player and double dipping even on the classics.  But it looks like on the boutique front it's profitable enough that 4K re-issues of already released and relatively "big" titles are going to take up a bigger piece of the pie.

I think I might have Kane in 5 formats now.

Here's the thing: the 4K resolution doesn't really make that big of a difference.

But the HDR on the colors makes a huge difference, even on my cheap ass 4K TV that only has regular HDR and not HDR10 or Dolby whatever.

Last time I updated my system I got (relatively cheap) HD stuff, so I’ve made the change. I think that I’d need a better system to fully appreciate the difference, but it’s noticeable.

I remember when I first made the change from DVD to blu ray, I also didn’t think that the change was very big. Most of that was my system, though. When I got a bigger television, the difference between dvd and blu became very obvious.

That said, VS is weird because so many of the movies they release are always going to look like shit, no matter the resolution.

• Haha 1

Okay, I'm a dumbass.

VinSyn had an April Fool's Day promo for a (sigh) translucent slipcover.  The promo image showed a hand holding basically nothing.  Price: $6.00

Knowing tht VinSyn is traditionally good about handing out sneaky discounts, I ordered one.

I'll let you know what happens. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nate said:

Okay, I'm a dumbass.

VinSyn had an April Fool's Day promo for a (sigh) translucent slipcover.  The promo image showed a hand holding basically nothing.  Price: $6.00

Knowing tht VinSyn is traditionally good about handing out sneaky discounts, I ordered one.

I'll let you know what happens. ?

Ok but what else did you order?

Speaking of 4KUHD, Scream Factory will be releasing the following in that format:

Cat People (remake)
The Funhouse
Dog Soldiers

Edited by Control

Look out for those triple and quadruple feature Corman dvds from Shout. You can get like 4 movies for $12 and a lot of them include the commentary tracks from the blu ray or standalone versions so they're a pretty good deal. There's like a "Sword and Sorcery" one and a Mummies and Vampires one, a couple called "Lethal Ladies" and, if you're into this sort of thing the "Naughty nurses" collection which you can be assured, being Roger Corman movies will be pretty non-x-rated but also really cheesy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, piranesi said:

Look out for those triple and quadruple feature Corman dvds from Shout. You can get like 4 movies for $12 and a lot of them include the commentary tracks from the blu ray or standalone versions so they're a pretty good deal. There's like a "Sword and Sorcery" one and a Mummies and Vampires one, a couple called "Lethal Ladies" and, if you're into this sort of thing the "Naughty nurses" collection which you can be assured, being Roger Corman movies will be pretty non-x-rated but also really cheesy.

I can vouch for this, the one with Pam Grier in "Arena" is fantastic.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:58 PM, piranesi said:

I haven't, but I have started to buy 4k discs if they're cheap and come with a bluray disc. I know eventually I'm going to upgrade my TV and it'll be 4k or whatever is out when it's time. But it's not something I'm really hunting for or wishlisting.

I could see the difference from DVD to Bluray, and it was enticing enough for me to adapt it. I probably appreciate 4k for more contemporary stuff and sports broadcasts, but I'm just not seeing that kind of clarity improve older films. In some cases the quality of just good ol' blurays felt like they were harming old films. "So clear you can see all the imperfections that you weren't capable of seeing before."

• Like 1

Fuckin Kino, man.

Buck Rogers (theatrical)

French Conspiracy (all reviews point to this being a slow film, but I'm a sucker for Gian Maria Volonte)

Gambit

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Hard Target

The Hitch-Hiker

Last Year at Marienbad

and The Wanderers

• Like 2

Criterion is also going all-in on UHD (though at least still offering Bluray and in some cases DVD): RAGING BULL, OKJA, VIRGIN SUICIDES, and DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS are all available in UHD format. Only DRIVE MY CAR and SUMMERTIME aren't getting the treatment.

Should come out in time for the B&N 50% sale.

I recently rewatched DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS, which I liked, and made me wish that they'd done an Easy Rawlins series with Denzel.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1