DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

On 3/21/2022 at 8:19 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Dude I LOVE Nothing But Trouble. The only copy of Starlog I bought as a kid went into detail about Valkenvania, as it was then called, so of course I had to see it. It's brilliantly bent. Chevy Chase and Demi Moore probably hate it worse than anything but who cares. 

i love that movie too. the Digital Underground scene is aces, as is so much more of the movie. 

• Like 1

I have to post this here. There's a group called Horror Holocaust I'm friends (whatever that entails, which is pretty much nothing) on Facebook with and it showed up in my feed just now. Vice Squad in, what... Czech? Hungarian? 

Spoiler

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'Američki lilm UBISTVO PROSTITUTKE (VICE SQUAD) Režija: GARY SHERMAN Uloge: SEASONHUBLEY GARY SWANSON WINGS HAUSER TECHNICOLOR DISTRIBUCIJA'

It probably translates to

Spoiler

MURDERING PROSTITUTES

which actually would be an accurate name

Edited by Curt McGirt

Vinegar Syndrome’s halfway to Black Friday flash presale (phew—long title!) is up now, and the complete lineup includes:

- CLOAK & DAGGER (VSU) - 4K UHD and BD
• THRILLER - A CRUEL PICTURE - worldwide UHD and BD debut of both official versions 
• MIAMI CONNECTION - 4K UHD and BD
• HORROR HIGH / STANLEY - BD double feature
• And the two secret surprise Blu-ray releases

We always try to save the weirdest, wildest, rarest, and/or most head spinning flicks for the Secret Titles, so as always we've prepared a doozy. First up, making its worldwide Blu-ray debut from a stunning new 4K restoration of its original negative is a grim, grimy, and gruesome indie monster movie featuring a very peeved creature stalking sunny SoCal. This one took a ton of wrangling to get right and we couldn't be happier to give it new life.

Plus, if you're starved for a helping of only-in-the-80s insanity, you'll no doubt fall head over heels for this star studded oddity with a typically off the wall premise that's been causing jaws to drop for nearly 40 years

Any guesses?

$80 list price for THRILLER. I know the intention is to make sure everyone purchases directly from them (they never charge full price), but that’s nutty. Criterion doing CITIZEN KANE 4K cost less.

Edited by Control

I love Vinegar Syndrome to death, but at $40-50 for a single title even when they're half off, I don't think I'm in for any of these. As an alternate Kino has an amazing sale on right now and I just grabbed 10 pretty amazing movies for the price of two of these sale price titles at VS.

I know VS puts a lot of work into these and needs to make as much per unit as they can to keep it going, but if Kino can sell a genuinely good-but-fogrotten 80s gem like The Bedroom Window or a super obscure movie like Revenge of the Shogun Women with three separate versions (2 in 3D one in 2D) on the disc for $10, I don't see how I'm ever going to pay $40 for Miami Connection. It's to the point where I'd rather see Kino get something like Cloak and Dagger. It wouldn't have as many extras or the cool cover art, but it would cost about 1/4 as much to just buy it and watch it.

I went through this as a record collector watching prices get to the point where I haven't bough an album in almost a year because even everyday things are $20-30 each used now and with "collecting" old audio equipment where now even a piece of Realistic kit that needs work is $600. The Boutique blu market seemed downright reasonable in comparison to those but the jump from $17 (on sale) per title to $20 to $24 to now $30-40 happened really fast here.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

I hear that. The price increase has been really noticeable over the past three years.  Kind of wonder how much could be related to COVID: I know I was lucky enough to keep working, and since I was going out much, much less, I had extra money, and was motivated to buy stuff that would keep me entertained at home.

Another example: Shout Factories sale prices are usually ridiculed online for not being much of a discount, and it's true, but at their sale I just picked up:

Cheech and Chong's Next Movie

Car Wash

Into the Night

Mr. Mom

Midnight Run

Night Hawks

all actually great and re-watchable movies for the same price I would pay at VS here for Miami Connection and Cloak and Dagger. I can't even imagine how much a VS version of and of these would cost. $60 on sale? Sure they'd probably all be UHD and Blu ray with a nice slipcover and the promise that I could resell them on Ebay in year for $200 but I don't really care about any of that. I just want to be able to watch Mr. Mom without figuring out which streaming service it might be on (I checked and it's only on Starz???? I'm not subscribing to Starz to watch Mr. Mom) but I'm also not paying more than $12-15 for a copy of it.

I get the argument that VS chooses more obscure titles with a tiny audience and track down al the lost footage and clean it up on the extras and pay for interview and stuff, so their prices have to be higher. But there has to be a ceiling for, like, Miami Connection. I'm still hoping some of these might get a blu-ray only, no slipcover release down the road where the sale price is closer to $20. I don't even know if I would go as high as $24 even for Thriller though as you can still find the Synapse DVD for around $15 at times and, again, I just want to watch the fucking movie a couple of times.

I had the same feeling walking into Barnes and Noble for the first time alone in literally years, seeing their Criterion wall, and just noping the fuck out of there. 

EDIT: I also looked for a copy of Trainspotting and they didn't have a single Irvine Welsh book. Really? Okay then, Abe Books it is. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Yeah, our B&N has a fair sized vinyl section; nothing that stood out like that though. Did Kiefer look like he did in The Lost Boys on the cover? Or did he look like Macho Man contemplating? 

Spoiler

30 Macho Man Randy Savage ideas | macho man randy savage, macho man, macho

Because that would be an instant purchase. (For, of course, $50)

I love Vinegar Syndrome and will probably hit them up at the Halfway Sale proper for some of their back catalogue. But the prices for this new stuff is inching up to a space where I feel like my sickness if being exploited.

On the plus side, I've been saving for VinSyn Sales so often, that I've neglected some of the other labels. So the price increase gives me a good reason to look elsewhere to scratch that itch. I'll be back. I'll always be back.

I haven't bought a Criterion in years, and I know they have some. Really wish they'd upgrade "Z". That's a big one for me.

The Kino Sale has some bangers. It goes through April 19th so I'll probably nab some next month, since I already spent my habit allowance.

That Edgar Wright photo is my goal. I've already overflowed my new shelf after 4 years.

Anybody else getting Critic's Choice Video catalogues? I guess they got my address from Kino Lorber(I don't remember consenting to that, but in this case I don't mind). Haven't ordered from them but I have to say there's something nice about having a paper catalogue I can leaf through and mark up.

• Like 2

I'm glad I broke my DVD addiction years ago, especially the Criterion part. Their volume  would be prohibitive now to "get em all," doubly so since I'm not really interested in a lot of their releases now. 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I haven't bought a Criterion in years, and I know they have some. Really wish they'd upgrade "Z". That's a big one for me.

Hey, we were just watching LE CERCLE ROUGE last night, and seeing Yves Montand made me wish for the same thing. Managed to grab STATE OF SEIGE on blu, but Z and THE CONFESSION are OOP.

On 3/25/2022 at 6:04 PM, piranesi said:

Another example: Shout Factories sale prices are usually ridiculed online for not being much of a discount, and it's true, but at their sale I just picked up:

Cheech and Chong's Next Movie

Car Wash

Into the Night

Mr. Mom

Midnight Run

Night Hawks

all actually great and re-watchable movies for the same price I would pay at VS here for Miami Connection and Cloak and Dagger. I can't even imagine how much a VS version of and of these would cost. $60 on sale? Sure they'd probably all be UHD and Blu ray with a nice slipcover and the promise that I could resell them on Ebay in year for $200 but I don't really care about any of that. I just want to be able to watch Mr. Mom without figuring out which streaming service it might be on (I checked and it's only on Starz???? I'm not subscribing to Starz to watch Mr. Mom) but I'm also not paying more than $12-15 for a copy of it.

I get the argument that VS chooses more obscure titles with a tiny audience and track down al the lost footage and clean it up on the extras and pay for interview and stuff, so their prices have to be higher. But there has to be a ceiling for, like, Miami Connection. I'm still hoping some of these might get a blu-ray only, no slipcover release down the road where the sale price is closer to $20. I don't even know if I would go as high as $24 even for Thriller though as you can still find the Synapse DVD for around $15 at times and, again, I just want to watch the fucking movie a couple of times.

Wanted to piggy back on this and add that it might pay to watch MVD's release schedule, because they have released films from the VS catalog at cheaper prices.  I got a copy of "Action USA" from them shortly after it went OOP from VS's VSU imprint.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:40 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, our B&N has a fair sized vinyl section; nothing that stood out like that though. Did Kiefer look like he did in The Lost Boys on the cover? Or did he look like Macho Man contemplating? 

Hide contents

30 Macho Man Randy Savage ideas | macho man randy savage, macho man, macho

Because that would be an instant purchase. (For, of course, $50)

Macho Man in a Canadian tuxedo is truly a majestic sight to behold. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 5:29 PM, piranesi said:

As an alternate Kino has an amazing sale on right now and I just grabbed 10 pretty amazing movies for the price of two of these sale price titles at VS.

You don't owe me a thing in this life, yet I'm compelled to ask for deets.  I'm currently shopping the same sale.

7 hours ago, nate said:

You don't owe me a thing in this life, yet I'm compelled to ask for deets.  I'm currently shopping the same sale.

Blue Monkey (There are no monkeys in this)
The Mafu Cage (looks insane)
Neurosis (Jess Franco)
Street People (Italian crime movie with Roger Moore)
Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (cheesy slasher)
Doc    (nihilistic 1970s western)
Illustrious Corpses (Italian crime)
Just Before Dawn (cheesy slasher-in-the-woods)
Revenge of the Shogun Women 3-D (title says it all)
Scavenger Hunt (absurdly bad 80s comedy)
The Bedroom Window
Link (There are monkeys in this)
Taking of Pelham One Two Three

Edited by piranesi
  • Thanks 1