DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

88 Films seems to be releasing some interesting films with great cover art. Don’t know if they have Canadian distribution, unfortunately.

That said, I’d like to know the origin of their name, since 88 is a neo-Nazi code all over the world, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: actually did some googling to find this

Blower adds, ‘“88” is actually a reference to Back To The Future. Only after the fact did someone let us know this also refers to Heil Hitler among underground neo-Nazi lunatics! That made us shiver of course – but how the hell were we to know that? Other than that, and the general challenges in running a label with few resources, it has been a blast!’

Some of their covers/titles:

Edited by Control

Just FYI, deepdiscount has a number of sales on right now. In addition, you can use HEARTS until noon on the 16th for an additional 15% off in stock items (it says that you can’t combine with other offers, but seems to work).

I haven't seen those three which are newer ones but I've never been disappointed for having bought a mondo macabro release and would easily recommend almost everything they've ever released. Designated Victim in particular looks great and I'll probably grab it, maybe not even wait for a sale which are pretty rare on Mondo titles.

Of the ones still in print I might particularly recommend

For craziness: Mystics in Bali, The Warrior, Lady Terminator

For Naschy: The Beast and the Magic Sword, The Devil Incarnate, Howl of the Devil

For overall quality: The Fan (not the Robert DeNiro one!), Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death, Diabolical Dr. Z (early Franco)

But apart from maybe Dangerous Cargo (which looks kind of dull to me) I don't think any of Mondo's releases are any worse than weirdly cool and most are pretty great.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

I haven't seen those three which are newer ones but I've never been disappointed for having bought a mondo macabro release and would easily recommend almost everything they've ever released. Designated Victim in particular looks great and I'll probably grab it, maybe not even wait for a sale which are pretty rare on Mondo titles.

For Naschy: The Beast and the Magic Sword, The Devil Incarnate, Howl of the Devil

For overall quality: The Fan (not the Robert DeNiro one!), Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death, Diabolical Dr. Z (early Franco)

But apart from maybe Dangerous Cargo (which looks kind of dull to me) I don't think any of Mondo's releases are any worse than weirdly cool and most are pretty great.

It’s like 40% off on deepdiscount right now!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, piranesi said:

I have almost all of those listed.  Exceptional releases.

4 hours ago, Control said:

It’s like 40% off on deepdiscount right now!

THanks! Grabbed Designated Victim, The Laughing Woman, and School of Death and it came out to around $17 each which is about what they would likely be during the Mondo Macabro Halloween sale anyway.

Early Franco is pretty great. The Black & White stuff looks wonderful. He's more restrained and gothic in his visuals but there's still a lot of experimental stuff.  And given the shockingly small budgets he had to work with he ends up making really moody looking noir horror with just a touch of French New wave and a little bit of odd visuals. There is a coolness factor about them that is lost a little bit in his later movies when he's going full color saturation and full frontal humping.  At times they are even a little Seijun Suzuki like especially when he has a scene in like a "hip jazz bar" and he himself is up there with his group playing weird music to accompany the scene.

Do a quick google image search for Diabolical Dr. Z or Dr. Orloff's Monster and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 4:52 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Thanks to Vestron Video releasing Candyman: Day of the Dead, I finally own the complete Candyman series.

Now to find out if it really is as bad a it's reputation

You set yourself up for providing a review, I hope you know. ?

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 4:52 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Thanks to Vestron Video releasing Candyman: Day of the Dead, I finally own the complete Candyman series.

Now to find out if it really is as bad a it's reputation

I'm glad that the Vestron line has hit a decent price point, finally. Too bad the early releases are still pretty pricey.

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'm glad that the Vestron line has hit a decent price point, finally. Too bad the early releases are still pretty pricey.

The only ones I've picked up are Little Monsters and Candyman 3.... I think that says not great things about me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Vestron now a separate physical media line or something? I'm confused. 

Lionsgate bought the name and turned it into a boutique line of numbered releases of kinda off beat movies and such.

Edited: horror movies, off-beat horror

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

I've just been grabbing little random stuff from here and there lately

Picked up a Transformers 35th Anniversary Steelbook 4K, and Shout Factory's bluray set of Kamen Rider Zero-One.

Also got my Severin Folk Horror set... it's fucking pretty. And the stickers are nice too.