DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

My folk horror set is still listed as processing. I sent an email asking for an update and got back a form response that amounted to “holy shit, we are busy.”

Street date for non-preorders is Jan 28th, so I’ll give it a couple more weeks 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, elizium said:

My folk horror set is still listed as processing. I sent an email asking for an update and got back a form response that amounted to “holy shit, we are busy.”

Street date for non-preorders is Jan 28th, so I’ll give it a couple more weeks 

I think there’s legitimate reason to be upset that their “release date” for preorders is actually the day the start shipping, and not the day you should expect to receive it. It’s a bit misleading.

Speaking of Severin:

NSFW February releases.

• 2 weeks later...

Godfather trilogy in 4K in March. Right now only a box set announced, and the press release specifically says it's the new Coda version of III, though some people are claiming the very tiny print on the one disc in the promo pic mentions the director's cut and 1990 theatrical cut, so who knows.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Godfather trilogy in 4K in March. Right now only a box set announced, and the press release specifically says it's the new Coda version of III, though some people are claiming the very tiny print on the one disc in the promo pic mentions the director's cut and 1990 theatrical cut, so who knows.

I still wish they would put that Epic version of The Godfather (Godfather 2 and 1 in linear time). It's supposed to have deleted scenes, alternate takes, ect in it. That's what I want a restoration of.

EDIT: A couple of years ago this 7 hour version of The Godfather was on HBO Go. I don't think it's on HBO Max.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I still wish they would put that Epic version of The Godfather (Godfather 2 and 1 in linear time). It's supposed to have deleted scenes, alternate takes, ect in it. That's what I want a restoration of.

EDIT: A couple of years ago this 7 hour version of The Godfather was on HBO Go. I don't think it's on HBO Max.

It was, and it's not.

A version of that is actually how I first saw The Godfather because that was what my college library had (on VHS!) though I'm not sure if the cut on HBO was exactly the same. Too much time had passed between viewings. But it does have a lot of extra scenes. Kinda similar to the absurdly long cut of Superman The Movie that came out a few years ago, in that they just put *everything* in.

They also at one point did a version with all three movies together but I've never seen that one.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:35 PM, Brian Fowler said:

They also at one point did a version with all three movies together but I've never seen that one.

I have that one on VHS. I snagged it off ebay for a really low price considering how rare it is. Still sealed. I havent had the heart to open the tapes yet.

• Like 2

Anyone know why Russ Meyer’s films (with the exception of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS from Criterion) aren’t available in blu ray? I have heard that his estate is run by greedy idiots, but I was wondering if there was anything more substantial.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, Control said:

Anyone know why Russ Meyer’s films (with the exception of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS from Criterion) aren’t available in blu ray? I have heard that his estate is run by greedy idiots, but I was wondering if there was anything more substantial.

That's the basic gist from what I've heard. DVDs came out and picture quality was VHS quality at best and they were priced at absurd price points. Basically, they don't want to make money it seems.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

As if Eight Diagram Pole Fighter isn't exciting enough that Henry has Joe Coleman art on a poster? YEAH BABY. 

I’m not region free, so no HENRY for me (though I guess the UHD disc itself would work). I’m interested in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, though…

Forgot to mention but the All The Haunts Be Ours set showed up last week. Beautiful packaging but I'm always worried about discs that slip into cardboard sleeve, rather than have a holder.

Didn't get a chance to watch anything until last night, decided to start with the first disc (not counting the documentary, which I'm saving to the end) and put in Eyes of Fire. There is also an extended version on the disc released under the name Cry Blue Sky, but I decided to start with the original theatrical version, I'll come back around to the extended version later.

I really dug it. The obvious comparison is to The Witch (group run out of a village due to religious differences, find a new place in the woods to live, uh oh spooky stuff happens) but I weirdly also got a bit of a Bone Tomahawk feeling from it. Not gory or anything, just some story bits and character designs that made me think of it.

Wouldn't say it is scary or anything, but there is definitely some cool and creepy imagery. Some very 70s/80s editing tricks to signify magic is afoot.

Some of the acting is...broad to say the least and the costume of the witch/creature character is pretty laughable, but otherwise I think it was really well done. If it had been in the hands of a different director, someone who could coax better performances out of their actors, had some better lighting (day for night was pretty obvious), and a slightly less costume-y look to the creature (I love what they were going for, but it came off pretty stage makeup and papier mache-y), I think it would be considered a classic.

Also watched the animated Sleepy Hollow short on the same disc and it was quite charming. Ichabod Crane is a bit of a creep in it, so you don't feel too bad when he disappears at the end.

Good start to the set.

• Like 4

On 1/13/2022 at 7:19 AM, Brian Fowler said:

FWIW, it's now confirmed that all three cuts of Godfather III are included in the box set.

11 hours ago, piranesi said:

I think some of them are on Shudder right now as Severin licenses some things to stream there. that might help you make up your mind in terms of the movies themselves. I know at least the documentary is up.

Yep, "Folk Horror" is currently the third Shudder TV channel along with the main one and "Slashics".

I ordered the set two weeks ago. Cannot wait.

• Like 1

I was thinking about that when I posted a couple days ago, I decided here for that one because the post was originally about the set finally arriving. If I post any other reviews, I'll probably put them in the horror thread instead