DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

my takeaways from that article:

oh, i didn't know Taylor Swift released her album as 45s. those reviews by uninformed purchasers are ridiculous.

"boo hoo, i loved my vinyl records and how it set me apart, and the major labels and renewed public interest are RUINING IT". He frames it as caring about the indie releases, but at every opportunity, complains about those "sweater wearing wine drinkers" that didn't care about vinyl until recently. I LIKED IT BEFORE IT WAS COOL. cry me a river. don't get me wrong, i love vinyl. i have about 4-500 records in my collection. Mostly classic rock from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. And i prefer original releases, not the RSD reissues (i think they're overpriced), but i have no problem with RSD. Both of the local record stores in my small town love it. It increases visibility. It drives business. Yes, most of the customers are just after the limited new releases, but the stores both do good business that day, both with old and new stock. Any guess what? Some of those "new" buyers find they really like the format and become regular customers. 

• Like 1

My wife just up and bought the Arrow VENGEANCE TRAILS collection because it was on sale. Not even a Xmas gift or anything.

This means that I gave the following box sets in the mail:

VENGEANCE TRAILS (Arrow)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA (Criterion)
NASTY HABITS (Severin)
ALL THE HAUNTS BE OURS (Severin)

Those are the four primary film genres, I believe: Spaghetti Western, wuxia, nunsploitation, and folk horror.

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 6:54 AM, Control said:

I’m in a Vinegar Syndrome collector FB group, and it’s astonishing how many people publish their Black Friday hauls, and it’s overwhelmingly or exclusively titles from the last four months being sold at the regular discount. Like, you could have avoided the rush and bought all of them last month for the same price—and got free shipping.

Me too!  "The Official Vinegar Syndrome Fan Group"?

Edited by nate
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:15 AM, Control said:

What did you grab?

I actually went kind of light this year, even with the gift cards in my pocket.

Forgotten Gialli Vol. 3 to complete that set. I told myself I had to finish it before I moved on to the other sets like the Home Grown and the TV movie ones. I'll probably get both if they're around at the Half Way Sale.

Creature because Klaus Kinski

Trauma because Argento

TC-2000 and the Tiger Claws set because I'm very focused on expanding my 80's/90's martial arts sleaze. Also Bolo Yeung. Not because of Billy Blanks.

20 hours ago, nate said:

I do obnoxiously request that they rescue "Blood Salvage" from obscurity.

It's totally obnoxious, but I do love that every message board or forum poster has one movie they won't stop requesting.  I respect that kind of dedication to obscure movies.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, jaedmc said:

It's totally obnoxious, but I do love that every message board or forum poster has one movie they won't stop requesting.  I respect that kind of dedication to obscure movies.

Hey, that dedication got me a Criterion of "Ministry of Fear."  I doubt they were ever going to release it without my undying influence.p ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 9:10 PM, Control said:

Trailer for Severin’s nunsploitation box set. VERY NSFW.

This has been stuck in the international USPS facility in LA since the 11th.

Severin has said they won’t look into international orders (I’m in Canada) unless there’s been no movement for two months.