DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

I waited until last minute and the blu ray stock diminished quickly. I went a bit more modern with my picks as I discovered Criterion Channel is on XBOX now so I can watch a lot of these films that way.

I picked up:

Tree of Life (I'm curious about the new cut)
Do the Right Thing
Army of Shadows
12 Angry Men

Someone got us the Criterion Channel for a couple months as an Anniversary gift. During that time they put the whole Olympics Set on demand. I can say without a doubt it is worth the money. We were watching the Los Angeles Olympics and the stories blew my fucking mind.

I get that. We didn't keep the channel because I'm still PHYSICAL MEDIA ENTHUSIAST™, and we're kind of freelancing our streaming dollars. I'm trying not to get tied up into anyone service for longer than I use it. There are times where I go "I haven't used Netflix in 2 months. I could have suspended and reupped and saved 30 bucks."

• Like 1

Flicker Alley got a couple of discs coming out of interest. One is F.W. Murnau's Phantom

The other is comprised of Laurel and Hardy's solo shorts before they became a tag team.

Definitely check out the gag at the end of that clip. Hadn't seen that shit in a movie before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They should do one of Tim Ritter, another Florida local. I think AGFA has the rights to this though, at least for theaters:

NSFW

EDIT: Naw, SRS Cinema did a Blu-Ray back in 2017. This trailer from them is way better/way grosser

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nate said:

Break out the wallets, friends.

Kino's March Madness sale:

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/march-madness-sale-2021

Warner Bros. Archive Collection is running what is supposedly their final "4 for $44" before the month ends, also.

Good looking out! Picked up 3 Jean Pierre Melville blu rays for $9.99 a pop. It becomes less of a great deal with shipping to Canada plus the exchange rate, but still worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Control said:

Good looking out! Picked up 3 Jean Pierre Melville blu rays for $9.99 a pop. It becomes less of a great deal with shipping to Canada plus the exchange rate, but still worth it.

Glad I could help out.  I got a few of the Melville films some time ago; Kino's releases are S O  G O O D.

End of the month, Vinegar Syndrome is going to have a flash preorder sale for their “half way to Black Friday” sale in May. They’re promising that this will include VSU #2 (#1 was last year’s BEAST MASTER).

Rumour I read was that it’s SIX-STRING SAMURAI, which is a neat enough movie, but not one that holds my interest for its 90-minute run time.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:13 PM, jaedmc said:

the last? what does thaaaat meeeeean?

I know.  The rumblingz are, WB Archive is changing to a new distributor, and likely the new distributor won't do "4 for $44s".  But because there's very little information out there, a lot of people in forums I frequent are afraid the WAC is going kaput.  But they have preorders for upcoming releases so I don't think that's it.