DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

46 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ever since Grand Budapest Hotel finally came out, my Criterion Fandom has fallen off. I dont know if it's their doing more modern films or what, but it's not the same as it used to be. 

Pretty intrigued by the Wong Kar Wai set coming out.

Are they getting more modern? Last year’s big sets were Fellini and Varda.

23 hours ago, Control said:

Pretty intrigued by the Wong Kar Wai set coming out.

Would have interested me until I saw how screwed up the color palette is (at least relative to the cinematic release and the French release) on In the Mood for Love.  If they fixed it for this...

• 2 weeks later...

Es6J7LNXEAEzc0I?format=jpg&name=large

No interest in DONNIE DARKO. I've read that UHD is always region free? If so, might be interested in BATTLE ROYALE (and the previously announced DEMONS), though I'm not sure what my best options are for getting British discs to Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I have the Anchor Bay VHS. Kind of a slow boil to it, Arthur Kennedy plays this dickhead cop that is constantly harassing the lead guy who keeps running into zombie trouble. The end is fairly gory and downbeat. It's similar to the superior The Grapes of Death by Jean Rollin. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yep, I have the Anchor Bay VHS. Kind of a slow boil to it, Arthur Kennedy plays this dickhead cop that is constantly harassing the lead guy who keeps running into zombie trouble. The end is fairly gory and downbeat. It's similar to the superior The Grapes of Death by Jean Rollin. 

THE GRAPES OF DEATH is great. I find Rollin pretty hit and miss—though even his misses are, well, Jean Rollin films—but this is one of his best I think.

Yeah, I really like that, Fascination, and The Living Dead Girl. I think those are the only three I've seen of his however. His pacing is pretty languid and I can see people getting bored with it. (His contemporary Jesus Franco was way worse though. You'd have to pay me to sit through one of his disasters.)

23 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Excited for this one.

Especially surprised to see the TV cut included.

Arrow video has been doing that lately with Robocop and Mallrats, maybe some others. It's a fun trend.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dr. Sadism looks soooooo sick. I wonder who owns the rights to The Whip and the Body right now...

Of course he knew perfect French. He probably knew at least five languages I bet.

I think Kino put out "Whip and the Body".

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:19 AM, Control said:

Pissed about the UK only releases.

I remembered that I can play Ultra HD discs now. And those aren’t region-locked. Still, no success in tracking down a copy of the UHD DEMONS 1 & w—they went OOP through pre-orders alone.

(Also, I’m *not* willing to pay an exorbitant amount for them).

Edited by Control