DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

43 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You fucked up on the first Naschy. I've seen 3/5 and those all are amazing. I've only seen Hunchback of the Morgue from the 2nd but I think that might be worth purchase alone.

This is actually good to know, since I’ve seen zero of them and have never heard from anyone who has.

There were a couple of single disc sets and some double disc sets that BCI Eclipse Company/Deimos Entertainment had floating around at Best Buy years ago. I have: 

Vengeance of the Zombies

The Night of the Werewolf

Curse of the Devil/Werewolf Shadow double DVD

The Loreley's Grasp*/Horror Rises from the Tomb double DVD

It also looks like they put out Human Beasts, Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll, and Exorcism which I believe i have as Exorcismo on another DVD somewhere (shoddy version and film IIRC). I've seen Hunchback online with no subtitles or dubbing because I wanted to see it so bad and it's great. 

Naschy has a very particular vibe. It's like Hammer but sexier and gorier, just a bit more lurid, and definitely more modern feeling. He plays the Daninsky character with natural charisma and sex appeal and the films are really well done for being as low budget as they are. 

If anybody wants to watch, here's a pretty cool documentary about Naschy. 

https://www.joshwhotv.com/cat/entertainment/video/the-man-who-saw-frankenstein-cry-paul-naschy-documentary?catName=entertainment

* An Amando de Ossorio film, they also put out his The Night of the Sorcerers. He's the guy behind the Blind Dead films so another Spanish horror legend. Loreley might be better than any of the Naschy films actually.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 10/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, Control said:

Well I just pulled the trigger and got FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION COLLECTION, A BLOODY SPEAR ON MOUNT FUJI, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, and SOCIETY.

Was probably for the best that I didn't blindbuy the PAUL NASCHY COLLECTION.

Oh man I'm getting an honorarium for being a guest lecturer in a colleague's class, and it will almost exactly cover the cost of this order. It was meant to be!

• Like 3

Amazon has the complete Chucky collection Blu Ray box for $20 right now (doesn't have the remake in it)

Edit: and the complete universal monsters collection for $70. The best way to get three copies each of House of Dracula, House of Frankenstein, and Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein!

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Haha 1

I’m watching the new bonus disc on the Back to The Future Ultimate Trilogy set. The highlight is the audition tapes. But it’s a fucking cocktease. Each clip is under 20 seconds, and we only see auditions for Biff, Jennifer, and Marty. Actually it ends with an ad for the Blu-ray set I just fucking bought. So this was a promotional clip. It feels like somebody fucked up.

Billy Zane’s audition as Biff was pretty good, but he’s a little too handsome. Maybe they should’ve created a modern pretty boy jock bully for Marty in the present that he could’ve played, because otherwise he’s wasted as a background talent at the time. 

C. Thomas Howell is legit good in his audition. I’m surprised he wasn’t the back-up choice when Fox couldn’t do it.

Ben Stiller is awful. He’s nowhere near the straight man spastic dork he would later become.

Nothing special from the Jennifer stuff.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Bought a few Scream Factory horror reissues coming my way this week. The Fog, The Burning, The Critters Collection, and, finally, their special edition of Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bought a few Scream Factory horror reissues coming my way this week. The Fog, The Burning, The Critters Collection, and, finally, their special edition of Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

I hope they are coming your way.  I placed an order Oct 9th and still haven't seen it, ?

1 hour ago, nate said:

I hope they are coming your way.  I placed an order Oct 9th and still haven't seen it, ?

Well, I ordered these from Amazon, but my The Deer Hunter 4K came pretty quick from Shout last month, and I got the F13 box from them something like 5 days before release date.

Basically, I saw that Behind the Mask had sold out on their website and panicked and bought it on Amazon before the price skyrocketed. Been meaning to pick it up since they announced it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, I ordered these from Amazon, but my The Deer Hunter 4K came pretty quick from Shout last month, and I got the F13 box from them something like 5 days before release date.

Basically, I saw that Behind the Mask had sold out on their website and panicked and bought it on Amazon before the price skyrocketed. Been meaning to pick it up since they announced it.

Gotcha.  Yeah, I ordered John Carpenter's Vampires, The Tenant, and The Devil Rides Out from Scream Factory's website, and this is the second time that it's been almost a month and no word on an order.

Good news/bad news for anyone that wanted the Gamera Arrow set and missed out: Smaller sets without all the swag are coming in January, one with the first 4 discs/8 movies Showa Era, and one with the last four discs/movies Heisei Era. The bad news is they are listed at a hundred bucks, which is a bit crazy for four discs.

Also issuing a steel book of the 90's trilogy for $70.

Arrow Video sale running concurrently with the Criterion sale on Barnes & Noble (though I don't think the Arrow releases are at 50% off).

Vinegar Syndrome & Severin Films gearing up for Black Friday too.

Target is running a B2G1F sale on movies/music/books (and games of board and maybe video, but check me on that last one).

They comin for our money, y'all.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Good news/bad news for anyone that wanted the Gamera Arrow set and missed out: Smaller sets without all the swag are coming in January, one with the first 4 discs/8 movies Showa Era, and one with the last four discs/movies Heisei Era. The bad news is they are listed at a hundred bucks, which is a bit crazy for four discs.

Also issuing a steel book of the 90's trilogy for $70.

Well, I preordered TREMORS, and it’s over $50 CDN, and that’s just one film. So on that scale, it’s a bargain (?).

It seems like physical media has gotten more expensive, though maybe I’m wrong. My wife was thinking about picking up the Criterion blu of HIS GIRL FRIDAY, and the thing is over $60 retail (again, Canadian $). That seems nuts.

On 11/2/2020 at 3:54 PM, Control said:

So how does the Vinegar Syndrome subscription work?

Snagged this from my email newsletter:

"If you’re feeling left out of some of this year’s releases, we want to remind you that Black Friday is the only time that you can become a Yearly Subscriber, which in 2021 gets you every single Vinegar Syndrome branded release at 50% off SRP, all slipcover editions and 50% off SRP coupons for all VSA, VSU, Peekarama, and for the first time, all Partner Label releases! It’s the best way to get your monthly sleaze, horror, and weird movie fix."

Beyond that, I'm not sure how it works, like if you want to skip a month, or if you want to decline a release.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nate said:

Snagged this from my email newsletter:

"If you’re feeling left out of some of this year’s releases, we want to remind you that Black Friday is the only time that you can become a Yearly Subscriber, which in 2021 gets you every single Vinegar Syndrome branded release at 50% off SRP, all slipcover editions and 50% off SRP coupons for all VSA, VSU, Peekarama, and for the first time, all Partner Label releases! It’s the best way to get your monthly sleaze, horror, and weird movie fix."

Beyond that, I'm not sure how it works, like if you want to skip a month, or if you want to decline a release.

Ok, I think I misunderstood that description: I thought it was saying that you could buy those for 50% off with the subscription, but it’s actually saying that you’re paying 50% up front and getting those movies, right? And then coupons for other releases.

In any event, while VS specializes in the types of films I like to watch, I don’t think it actually has that many I’d like to own (at least, in pricey special edition format).