DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

See I've been preparing for this moment for over a decade. I've NEVER bought a Friday the 13th movie because I knew in my heart this would finally happen.

My faith in the horror gods has been rewarded.

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure I have 

1 VHS copy of The Final Chapter

1 DVD Friday 3D

1 DVD Jason Goes To Hell

1 VHS bootleg "uncut" OG Friday

and that's it. Maybe Friday 2 as well. And recordings off TV of course. 

My favorite one, New Beginning, I don't think I even have a copy of. They're on TV so often it just feels pointless to buy them I guess.

I have the DVD boxset of Friday the 13th that was released years and years ago so I could use an upgrade.  Love to see Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy v Jason and Jason X on here.  

I did like Friday the 13th (2009) but it doesn't exactly fit in here anywhere chronologically right?  I mean it's a reboot..  I also wonder why they didn't have a sequel since it made good money.

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have the DVD boxset of Friday the 13th that was released years and years ago so I could use an upgrade.  Love to see Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy v Jason and Jason X on here.  

I did like Friday the 13th (2009) but it doesn't exactly fit in here anywhere chronologically right?  I mean it's a reboot..  I also wonder why they didn't have a sequel since it made good money.

Mostly, the failure of the Nightmare reboot as well as a couple other horror flops around there. Then when the next time it got brought up to go back to the franchise, lawsuits started flying. And that's still where we are, afaik.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think it’s possible i have never bought a F13th movie. Or a Halloween or Freddy movie.

I'm surprised you don't at least have the og Halloween. I mean, it's pretty well universally looked at as a legit masterpiece.

Anyway, I ordered the box set from Shout and I think I got in early enough to get the free poster too.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think it’s possible i have never bought a F13th movie. Or a Halloween or Freddy movie.

In the past few years my respect for these franchises as the horror icons they are has grown.

I was never a big fan of F13 or the Freddy series, but Halloween always clicked for me.

But I do own the NoES Blu-ray set and the 8 F13 film set out on Blu-ray.

My plan was to pick up foreign versions of the ones not included in the F13 set.

I guess the collector in me loves having the entire package in a neat little set on my shelf.

Horror movies are like Pokemon for me.

This F13 looks extremely nice.

Hope it's still available in September for my birthday.

It’s not like I haven’t seen them, especially the first 3 or 4 of each franchise. Just never felt the need to buy them. I’d bet the percentage of my film library that would classified as strictly horror is lower than I would expect except in certain categories, like Classic Universal or Hammer/British or AIP. 

Don't know how I missed the announcement, but I just read that Battlefield Earth (2000) is getting a blu-ray  release from Mill Creek coming out in September.

The theatrical cut is rumored to be on the disc.

One of my favorites.

If you think of it in the pulpy context of 50's sci-fi, it's a hoot. (Even better with the Rifftrax treatment!)

Can't wait for HD dutch angles.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, odessasteps said:

October Criterion list topped by Parasite.

Also I finally bit the bullet and got an OOP Pierrot Le Fou and they announce they’re  re-releasing it. Woof. I’m a sucker so I’ll get the new one as well and be happy with the old cover. 

I wanna buy so much stuff from Unobstructed View while they have a Criterion and an Arrow sale going on, but I am broke. Have put in my cart (but resisted buying):

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION COLLECTION

SOCIETY

LA GRANDE BOUFFE

POLICE STORY COLLECTION

PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE

BRUCE LEE: HIS GREATEST HITS

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nate said:

$125 in November or whenever the next B&N sale is.

True. It just seems crazy to me that it's the same price as the fifteen disc Varda collection (which I just had delivered Tuesday) and only $50 bucks less than the 30 disc Bergman box.

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

True. It just seems crazy to me that it's the same price as the fifteen disc Varda collection (which I just had delivered Tuesday) and only $50 bucks less than the 30 disc Bergman box.

Huh.  That *is* weird though.

My Gamera box is on its way from UPS.

Which is very good, because it's listed at sold out at a whole lot of places and at least one store has said it's already out of stock from Arrow and OOP.

• Like 1

Update: So, the 5,000 region 1 copies of the Gamera set have all been shipped to stores, and as of right now Arrow say they have no plans currently to make more. So if you want it and find it in stock somewhere, maybe buy it.

It's still listed in stock on their U.K. site though, so I guess the 3,000 region 2 sets haven't all sold yet.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, Brian Fowler said:

My Gamera box is on its way from UPS.

Which is very good, because it's listed at sold out at a whole lot of places and at least one store has said it's already out of stock from Arrow and OOP.

Pretty jealous despite the only Gamera I’ve seen being a MST3K episode.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, jaedmc said:

But with all that being said, Criterion just announced a set with EVERY Agnes Varda movie and without a second thought - I know I'm buying it. I might not even wait for a sale, I love this director so much. I probably own a dozen of the movies included and it doesn't upset me in the slightest.

Just watched LE BONHEUR and holy shit it was magnificent from the opening to the closing shot. Varda is four for four with us (this, CLEO, VAGABOND, and ONE SINGS...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Control said:

Just watched LE BONHEUR and holy shit it was magnificent from the opening to the closing shot. Varda is four for four with us (this, CLEO, VAGABOND, and ONE SINGS...)

She's incredible. My wife got to see her live a few years before her passing, and said she was absolutely delightful. I am still painfully jealous.

Thanks for the heads up on the Gamera Set. I might just buy the UK one since I went region free.

• Like 1

One last "buy Gamera now" note: apparently the discs are coded for both region A and B, and the US and UK sets are thus identical except on things like rating symbols, but the discs will play in both regions fine.

That said, holy hell I've never seen the first Gamera film look so good. And the set is absurd. And so much bonus features. Putting film quality aside, just in terms of presentation and thoroughness, this blows away the Criterion Godzilla box. Not all Criterion's fault, as Toho won't allow bonus features made out of house (or new remasters, for that matter) but Arrow went HARD.

• Like 1