DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live Spoilers - Jinder vs Styles -11/7/17

ChesterCopperpot

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Everyone knew who you were talking about.

I was pointing out they have another "out" wrestler on their roster

The WWE is never going to truly have an "out" out wrestler on tv. They just wouldn't know what to do with them. 

As for Becky/Elsworth I'm honestly surprised it went on as long as it did and James got in as many moves as he did. I figured it would be a 30 second squash for Becky. They missed the boat on James because he can be an annoying little shit just like Enzo. 

Ah well, thank God the Jinder experiment is over for now. 

I forgot it was pre-taped so was annoyed at myself when I got spoiled about AJ's win.  But it's still really fucking awesome to see him finally win the WWE title.  I'm hoping he keeps if for awhile but expect Jinder to win it in India.  Easily Jinder's best match though and I'm glad the experiment's over for now.

And Ellsworth was awesome as the chauvinistic heel getting his comeuppance.  It's a tried-and-true wrestling story and when done right leads to a pretty fun match.  Both him and Becky deserve tons of love for that.

45 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I forgot it was pre-taped so was annoyed at myself when I got spoiled about AJ's win.  But it's still really fucking awesome to see him finally win the WWE title.

This is his second time with the title. Remember "Beat Up John Cena"?

29 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

This is his second time with the title. Remember "Beat Up John Cena"?

D'oh!  My bad, forgot about that.  Then again sometimes I'm lucky if I remember what I had for lunch last week.

But I still wish I remembered it was pre-taped anyway so I would be surprised by the win.

Has there been any news on a potential injury to AN USO after that gruesome chop block and improvised count-out finish? Dude's knee twisted something awful and he let out a horrible yelp when it happened, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere about if it was something serious that will keep them out of Survivor Series or not.

Went in unspoiled thinking we would see a Brock run in to F5 the Maharaja. 

As the match went on I thought AJs knee would be a factor. I was waiting for it to buckle on that last forearm for Jinder to take advantage.

Great suprise to see the change up. The last 2 weeks have felt like the "anything can happen" vibe of the attitude era again.

So I just watched the New Day - Zayn and Owens segment and I can't for the life of me see what Zayn and Owens did at the end there that could get them heat.

Edited: Ok now I know it was probably when Owens got heat on Kofi after Zayn vs Kofi. If Owens potatoed Kofi I get it but if not and I can't see Kevin Steen doing that unprovoked. If the New Day were in on it I don't get why what happened would send them home.

Oh, that's horrible booking on the WWE's part. Owens and Zayn have real heat and if done right can have actual white hot heel heat and be the biggest heels on SmackDown and actually lead to some exciting television and could get two superstars super over. Why feed them to the New Day now?

• Like 2

Zayn and Owens are probably the best heels in the WWE right now.  They can have an incredible run for an extended period of time and making them look like chickenshits right at the getgo isn't going to do them any favors.

AJ/Jinder wasn't match of the year, but it was really, really good.  At this point Styles is probably one of the best guys in the past decade on being able to get a great match out of a bag of moldy vegetables.  That being said Jinder did his part quite well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Oh, that's horrible booking on the WWE's part. Owens and Zayn have real heat and if done right can have actual white hot heel heat and be the biggest heels on SmackDown and actually lead to some exciting television and could get two superstars super over. Why feed them to the New Day now?

You build up the New Day so they seem like credible threats to the Shield. And you do it at the expense of Sami/KO because they’re the hottest heels. Sami/KO can easily get their heat back when they cost Team SmackDown! the main event at Survivor Series or if they take out Brock and AJ in their match.

Unless Vince told them that he has no plans for them, this seems really short sighted to f them.

7 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Because they're going to be the guys who go against the (finally) reunited Shield.

3-on-2 shenanigans can be the excuse of the excuse-making heels. No reason for Sami and KO to puss out on this. And I'd have hoped KO and Sami would understand that. I really don't want this situation to be what it's looking like right now. 

The New Day do not need to be built up - they're the longest reigning tag team champions in the history of the company and have been running roughshod over the entire tag team division on both shows for years now. If any three-man team in the company is a credible threat to The Shield, it's them.

There's also that they haven't even bothered to announce the match a week before Survivor Series, so how concerned should they be with the buildup when this is all clearly thrown together at the last minute?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The New Day do not need to be built up - they're the longest reigning tag team champions in the history of the company and have been running roughshod over the entire tag team division on both shows for years now. If any three-man team in the company is a credible threat to The Shield, it's them.

There's also that they haven't even bothered to announce the match a week before Survivor Series, so how concerned should they be with the buildup when this is all clearly thrown together at the last minute?

They're a bit of a mid-card comedy act.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They're a bit of a mid-card comedy act.

I'd argue the point - they were put in a featured role at Mania and were the biggest merch movers (outside of maybe Cena) in the company at one point. The Fashion Police are a mid-card comedy act. They clearly think more of New Day. But my point was that there isn't a great reason to sacrifice two of your top heels on SmackDown in order to kick off a week of buildup for New Day to a match they're clearly going to lose. How does it make Shield look any stronger to beat The New Day, even after this sort of buildup? They're already booked like worldbeaters. It just reeks of the same sort of short-sighted booking that has Kane squashing Balor every week to build him up to lose to Braun. Nobody is actually being helped by their booking strategy outside of Roman Reigns.

6 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I'd argue the point - they were put in a featured role at Mania and were the biggest merch movers (outside of maybe Cena) in the company at one point. The Fashion Police are a mid-card comedy act. They clearly think more of New Day. But my point was that there isn't a great reason to sacrifice two of your top heels on SmackDown in order to kick off a week of buildup for New Day to a match they're clearly going to lose. How does it make Shield look any stronger to beat The New Day, even after this sort of buildup? They're already booked like worldbeaters. It just reeks of the same sort of short-sighted booking that has Kane squashing Balor every week to build him up to lose to Braun. Nobody is actually being helped by their booking strategy outside of Roman Reigns.

I don't disagree with you along those lines. I'd take it on the slant that there isn't much you can do to heat up The New Day to make them into threats against the Shield and a lot of what you could do (like, for instance them doing a Flair for the Old style parody of the Shield) could be detrimental. This PPV is basically a hotshot stunt which won't matter in the long term. Sacrificing Zayn/Owens for a short term gain is stupid. Hell, if they're going to put the title back on Jinder, sacrificing him for short term gain is stupid too. I know people were groaning, but I think them booking him to competitively survive Brock for ten minutes would have done him a lot of good, relative to popping some temporary network buys for an ultimately forgettable sprint vs AJ (if there's long-term value in that title change, it's making the overly needy UK fans feel like they matter).