DVDVR Message Board

Brian Michael Bendis to DC exclusive.

The Natural

I'm not a Bendis super-fan - I enjoyed but didn't love Powers, Alias, Daredevil, etc. - and his recentish stuff has been kinda hit and miss with me.  Still, I find the idea that Bendis is a hack that only writes shitty books kinda bizarre.  I can understand not liking Bendis - I probably wouldn't put him in my top 10 or even 20 - but my general opinion is that he can be an outstanding writer whose stuff just isn't quite to my taste (though Ultimate Spider Man is probably one of my top 5 superhero books from the past 20-30 years).  That said, I feel the same about Bendis as I do Moore and Miller.  Outstanding writers whose best stuff is technically outstanding but doesn't quite speak to me (I think Dark Knight and Watchmen are awesome literary achievements, but not fun reads for me).  And like Bendis, Moore and Miller's books sometime don't work at all for me.

I find the idea that he's going to somehow drag down the DC line with subpar books bizarre.  This strikes me as a big blow to Marvel and a coup for DC.  I was rather enjoying Bendis' Iron Man run - and I initially hated the idea of Doomiron Man and yet another precocious child genius in the suit.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing what a motivated Bendis can do with a new set of characters to play with.  It sounds like he has done every book at Marvel he really wanted to do except Fantastic Four.

Brian Michael Bendis I've read:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1-13 is great especially #13. What an amazing issue. Also read the Venom arc from said book, Spider-Men, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-12, Old Man Logan and Spider-Man: Vol. 1. The latter sucks.

I don't think Bendis is a bad writer at all.  I think he's actually a very talented writer.  I just think his style works horribly on big mainstream superhero books.  He also has a penchant for doing really dumb, goofy crap, such as Yiddish-speaking Peter Parker. 

Secret War is a perfect example of how his style can ruin a good premise or concept.  I remember being pretty excited for that miniseries, which turned out to be a whole lot of nothing and dumb interrogation room garbage. 

17 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

If I could just read more crime comics with art he traced from lightboxed photos of his friends, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Speaking of, I love how P Craig's adaptation of Pagliacci "stars" Bendis and Jill Thompson.

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Sorry, @APO.

Yeah, I kinda resigned myself to the fact that it was gonna happen a few weeks back. What's funny is that his premise for Action sounds right up his alley, but sweet merciful Jeebus, am I dreading his Superman.

• Like 1

Honestl,y I'm mostly pissed because I've dug what I've read of both Action and Superman up to Vol 4. I feel like Jurgens, Tomasi, and Gleason are all being cheated out of their books despite having solid-good runs right now. Tomasi and Gleason I'm especially annoyed to see pulled from Superman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, APO said:

Yeah, I kinda resigned myself to the fact that it was gonna happen a few weeks back. What's funny is that his premise for Action sounds right up his alley, but sweet merciful Jeebus, am I dreading his Superman.

I thought BMB be put on a Batman book first as Batman's the biggest comic book hero around. I can't see Bendis with Supes.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestl,y I'm mostly pissed because I've dug what I've read of both Action and Superman up to Vol 4. I feel like Jurgens, Tomasi, and Gleason are all being cheated out of their books despite having solid-good runs right now. Tomasi and Gleason I'm especially annoyed to see pulled from Superman.

I've also liked what I've read by them with one exception.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Gleason is sticking to Action (although I think only art and not co-writing) 

I'm not sure what the last major project he did without Tomasi.

Robin: Son of Batman.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I thought BMB be put on a Batman book first as Batman's the biggest comic book hero around. I can't see Bendis with Supes.

I'm glad he wasn't though I still suspect he will at some point. I have trouble seeing him do a decent Batman. I have somewhat less trouble seeing a decent Superman from him.

• Like 1