DVDVR Message Board

Steve Blackman

Victator

Blackman vs. Rock from 1999. I hate Blackman's short little kicks to the gut but most "martial arts" wresters use them and they always stink. A lot of his strikes have a good snap though, his punches look good even compared to Rock, who had great fucking haymaker punches. Blackman sells a DDT at light speed, it looks great. Blackman's comeback is good, and he comes out looking good in what is pretty much a squash.

I've enjoyed these matches as, like most of us, I remember liking Blackman but not much else.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that he looks a little stiff/awkward at times when selling or getting into position for certain bumps (like in the Hardy matches.) Not terribly so, but enough that it made me wonder -- do you think that's a recurring problem with the wrestlers who focused ontraining in martial arts (or MMA) before transitioning to wrestling? I seem to recall Shamrock had a similar issue; almost like they take an extra fraction of a second to remind their bodies they're not supposed to avoid damage in this situation.

But yeah, Blackman was good. And listening to the chants for Head Cheese, when they were upper-lower-midcard wrestlers... man, it makes it depressing to listen to crowds nowadays.

God damn I'm enjoying this thread.I used to love the spot Blackman did where he kneeled a guy down, did a spin, and hit them in the back of the head with a trash can lid. Though knowing what we now know about concussion, it's scary. But back then when we were ignorant? It fucking ruled.

But wasn't getting hit by one of those trash can lids like the equivalent of being hit over the head with a sheet of tin foil?

God damn I'm enjoying this thread.I used to love the spot Blackman did where he kneeled a guy down, did a spin, and hit them in the back of the head with a trash can lid. Though knowing what we now know about concussion, it's scary. But back then when we were ignorant? It fucking ruled.

But wasn't getting hit by one of those trash can lids like the equivalent of being hit over the head with a sheet of tin foil?
Yeah, but the placement (the back of the head) still makes me alittle uneasy.

A third Islander!  I don't remember that at all.  Too bad it was just Sivi Afi.  They actually expected people to believe that the substitute Jimmy Snuka was in charge of the Islanders?  Just makes me wish they had added heel Jimmy Snuka to the team.

See, I liked the In Your House match better than the Lions Den, each to their own. Steve getting knocked into the cage by Severn looks pretty sick though.

There's also a Blackman/Crash vs T&A match that's worth watching if only for the Frankensteiner that Molly Holly hits on Test.

And this, which surprised me because for some reason I thought EZ Money was terrible, and now I'm wondering who I had him confused with. Fun short match.

Yeah Blackman was around in the late 80's. He ended up having to retire the first time because of illness. I think it was the same headaches that retired him in 01

I believe he got malaria in the late 80's and was out for a few years.

Wiki and I think the WWE "Where are they now" profile mentions that it was after a South African tour in '89.  He got malaria and dysentery and was apparently bed ridden for 2 years.  It sounded like in the WWE profile that he had a deal on the table when he got sick.  It also sounds like he didn't take up martial arts until after he got sick.  I kind of wonder what they would have done with him in the late 80's/90's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This match is the epitome of the goofy slapstick hardcore division with Blackman as champion. It's a lot of fun. As it's always said, it's crazy looking back to 2000-ish WWE how over all the midcarders are. This match manages to further a fued with a team who aren't even there (T&A wearing their T&APA shirts), further a fued between Molly Holly and Trish, and generally make everyone look great. I know some would have a problem with Test selling for Molly Holly, but I don't think it makes him look bad, more "man, she's awesome"