DVDVR Message Board

Steve Blackman

Victator

So I will get the ball rolling, because I love Blackman. I am just grabbing random shit from Youtube. 

Steve Blackman vs Bossman Hardcore titlehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWGnGaszoLc This is for the Hardcore title and was included on the HARDCORE WWF DVD in 01. The highlight of this is the weapons duel. Bossman grabbed the Kendo stick and got a few shots in. Blackman goes fuck it and retrieves his stripped baton thingies. Which got a big reaction from the fans.So we have this neat weapons duel, which Blackman naturally wins. Match dies here and they do the drag by the head brawling. With Bossman mixing it up some, by whipping Blackman with a leather strap. They get to the back and Blackman wipes out the buffet table. JR says with the crummy catering, Bossman should use one of the rolls as a weapon. Crash Holly attacks Bossman, because they were feuding and Dean Malenko was mentoring Crash. I have no memory of this. Blackman takes the opportunity to hit Bossman with a sidekick to win the match. He then beats up Malenko and Crash for stepping into his house. Not much here (it is only a four minute TV match), but you can see the appeal. More later 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUTD8yz2cUJeff Hardy vs Steve Blackman March 2000Okay this is a legit neat match. One thing with Blackman is for a guy with karate gimmick, he does not use a ton of kicks. He uses more punches and chops. Using kicks only when he is trying to end the match. Jeff and Blackman have good chemistry. Blackman as a base for Jeff's flying shit and Jeff takes Blackman's offense well. Outside the ring, Jeff tried to run the rails and Blackman leaps up to the rail and backdrops Jeff. Which got an audible "holy shit" from me. The fans are a little deflated after that spot and the match continues. They go back and forth on offense, with Jeff finally getting the advantage. Al Snow (Blackman's partner at the time) pulls Blackman out of the way with a flying Brogue Kick, that I never saw Blackman attempt before or after this. 

GOD DAMN IT VIC THAT SECOND MATCH WAS MINE TO POST YOU SON OF A BITCH.

Either the week before or the week after he fights Matt and it is sick.

Remember this is after the classic "You have no personality, and I've got too many!" or something.

I don't want to review this match, just watch it. 4:00 in is unfuckingreal.

Matt looked really awkward in that match. Matt really improved once he ditched the flying stuff he was not great at. Once Blackman got on offense I really enjoyed it. He also did the Flying Brogue again, or the first time, since this was before the Jeff match. 

I did kind of like that they sort of used Blackman as the stabilizing for of the hardcore division as people were leary of sneak attacking him because he was so good with weapons.  I did chuckle out of Mr. Charisma yelling "IT'S PARTY TIME!" when he grabbed the fighting sticks.

That rail run counter was all kinds of crazy.  I kind of wanted Blackman to get put in as the American member of Heisei Ishingun.  I don't really recall Blackman doing that diving kick either.

• Like 1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2klgf_wwf-kurt-angle-vs-steve-blackman_sport?search_algo=2Steve Blackman vs Kurt Angle December 1999This is a good showcase match for Blackman. Kurt had just debuted a month before and he was still pretty green. The match with Shawn Stasiak at Survivor Series 99 the month before was not too hot. Angle looked fine in it, but the crowd was dead and it ran too long. Stasiak was also not very good either. So basically the match established the Angle gimmick. Angle had turned on Blackman the show before this PPV. Blackman comes to the ring and beats up on Angle. I really like the way Blackman throws punches and kicks. They have a unique snap and style. I also really like how he avoids hitting guys in the face, until he tries to finish them off. Most of the match is Angle playing the overwhelmed rookie. He hits things like a nice five arm and he can hit suplexes out of nowhere.Angle gets the win with a German Suplex. Blackman ever the good sportsman, beats up on Kurt with his nunchucks. I think the match also did a nice job setting up Tazzzz's debut next month. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxe3lw_wwe-raw-2000-12-25-hardcore-title-match-steve-blackman-vs-raven-vs-hardcore-holly_sporthhhvyhHardcore Holly vs Raven vs Steve Blackman 12-25-00This is a Hardcore Title match. Not a lot of deep analysis you can give here. Just it flowed well and there was very little dragged thru the crowd brawling. Raven gets taken out early, while Holly and Blackman brawl outside. Blackman wins with a German suplex on a car hood. As he celebrates, Raven returns, bashes Blackman's head in and snags the belt and the Blackman Hardcore era ends. 

I always enjoyed Blackman. He was the world's best action flick goon. He'd be the assassin hired to take out Jason Statham, and would ambush him in a hotel room and in the first few seconds break all of his fingers. The rest of the fight writes itself.

Thanks for posting all of this. Blackman was someone I loved watching as id, but can't remember the actual matches of too well. That match with Jeff Hardy was really fun. I didn't recall anyone pulling such an awesome counter to Jeff's guardrail jump.

God damn I'm enjoying this thread.

I used to love the spot Blackman did where he kneeled a guy down, did a spin, and hit them in the back of the head with a trash can lid. Though knowing what we now know about concussion, it's scary. But back then when we were ignorant? It fucking ruled.