DVDVR Message Board

NJPW WrestleKingdom 12 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/2018

Raziel

18 hours ago, Thibs said:

You watched most of this with Japanese commentary?

I live in Japan. It's not required but I try to listen to stuff in Japanese when possible. I switched to the English for Omega/Jericho because Callis has been more involved in the angle than the Japanese commentary team and I felt it would add more to what was going on.

• Like 1

I'd go something like:

Roppongi 3k vs. Young Bucks ****

Gauntlet ***

Ibushi vs. Cody ****1/4

KES vs. Evil/Sanada ****1/4

Goto vs. Suzuki ****1/4

Jr. ***1/4

Tanahashi vs. White **

Omega vs. Jericho ****3/4

Okada vs. Naito ****3/4.

Like to rewatch Goto/Suzuki, Omega/Jericho and Okada/Naito. I thought Okada vs. Naito was between ****3/4 and *****.

Edited by The Natural
Added matches I forgot.

I gave my marks upthread but within an hour of the close. Rewatched it the other day with English commentary and here are my updated marks.

RUMBLE: *** - look they don't do Rumbles like the US, there's more standing about and the booking is non-existent other than who will win and maybe this guy will fight this old foe but it is FUN.

R3K - Buxxx - **** - up from last rating. Really solid tag match and they probably could deliver more in a better spot. Sho and Yoh are legit and that is HEARTWARMING.

Gauntlet - *** - it's one match Dave. Yano's timing is very good.

Ibushi - Cody - ****1/4 - yep, very good, Cody can do it, this wasn't just Ibushi wrestling a broomstick.

KES - LIJ - **** - exactly what was needed in the spot and Archer was GREAT. If the heavy tags could be "ten minutes of mayhem" then I am in.

Goto - Suzuki - ****1/4 - Goto's extended selling of the choke was probably realistic but his flopping around a lot slightly took away from a very good and intense match. Ending was perfect, that simple symbolism that New Japan do well often and WWE occasionally get right.

Jr 4 way - ***. Originally gave it a DUD to be provovative. There's enough good stuff around the annoying stuff, and it's unfair on the effort of Hiromu and the good bits that Scurll did (also cool entrance).

Tana - Jay ***1/4 - back to the drawing board for Jay.

Kenny - Jericho ****1/2 - slightly overlong brawl but really excellent in parts.

Okada - Naito ****1/2 - quarter off for the trousers.

• Like 1

Why the hell not

NJ Rumble: how do you even rate something like this? It's fun as it happens, you'll never rewatch it.

Jr tag: ****

NEVER Six Man: *** (no way in hell I'm breaking it down into 4 separate matches)

Cody/Ibushi ****1/2

IWGP Tag ***3/4

NEVER ****1/4

Jr ***

IC **1/2

US **** (the finishing stretch belongs on an all-time classic, but I really didn't like the first half much at all)

IWGP ****3/4 (quarter added for the swank pants @sevendaughters)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never expected I'd think Dave underrated a Wrestle Kingdom main event--at least relative to the other stuff on the card--but here we are. I'm neutral on Okada's pants, but can see subtraction for his weak cobra clutch, which was used often enough to be kinda distracting. Still, I'd have it just ahead of Goto/Suzuki and HANDSOME BATTLE for MOTN.

• Like 1

I don't think in star ratings but if I was to rank the matches (not going to include the rumble cause it was fun but would be hard to compare to the others) in order of greatness it would probably go:

1. Okada/Naito

2. Goto/Suzuki

3. Omega/Jericho

4. Cody/Ibushi

5. Young Bucks/Roppongi 3K

6. KES/EVIL & SANADA

7. NEVER 6-MAN

8. JR 4-WAY

9. White/Tana

The top 5 are all great matches for sure and really my 3, 4, and 5 could change order if you asked me again tomorrow.

8 hours ago, lostinube said:

I live in Japan. It's not required but I try to listen to stuff in Japanese when possible. I switched to the English for Omega/Jericho because Callis has been more involved in the angle than the Japanese commentary team and I felt it would add more to what was going on.

Ahhh gotcha.

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

I don't think in star ratings but if I was to rank the matches (not going to include the rumble cause it was fun but would be hard to compare to the others) in order of greatness it would probably go:

1. Okada/Naito

2. Goto/Suzuki

3. Omega/Jericho

4. Cody/Ibushi

5. Young Bucks/Roppongi 3K

6. KES/EVIL vs Sanada

7. NEVER 6-MAN

8. JR w-WAY

9. White/Tana

The top 5 are all great matches for sure and really my 3, 4, and 5 could change order if you asked me again tomorrow.

I'm with you. I don't give a shit about star ratings. I watch something and know if I'm in love with the match, if I just like it, if I'm bored by it, etc. So if I were to rank the matches, I'd probably rank it like that. Goto/Suzuki and Omega/Jericho are so very close though. If anything puts Goto/Suzuki over Omega/Jericho, it's how awesome Suzuki is and his post-match antics.

Oh yeah, I also listened to that Jericho podcast with Omega this morning. That was a really good listen. To piggyback off of the previous comments, while Kenny wanted to be portrayed as this god of wrestling, he wanted to be portrayed as Apocalypse. And then it all fell apart or was forgotten.

I loved Kenny and Jericho talking about how Red Shoes was just repeatedly checked out during the match, which is par for the course for him. I know a lot of people love Red Shoes, but I think he's a fucking terrible ref. I've never seen another ref on this big of a stage just constantly zone out or do a poor job of being a ref. I liked that Jericho brought up to Red Shoes that the match was no DQ the first time he had Kenny in the Walls and Kenny grabbed the ropes. "It's no DQ you idiot!"

That leads into a story from Kenny about how the chairs in Japan really suck and the chairs they used left screws, SCREWS, all over the ring. Red Shoes just stands there "dead behind the eyes" (as Jericho described him) and Kenny is like, DUDE, look at all these fucking screws. They then talk about how bumping onto a screw would be the worst thing ever and I don't think I disagree.

Another part of Jericho and Kenny talking about the decision to have a no DQ match was Jericho talking about how Gedo was on the fence about having the match be no DQ, but Kenny convinced him it would work. They just wanted something to stand out. Jericho then mentions how it almost didn't matter anyway because 4 or 5 of the matches were practically no DQ because the NJPW refs don't fucking do anything to control the match. That's another complaint I've had about NJPW for a long time is that there is no consistency, just absolutely zero, with reffing matches. Look at the Jr. 4-way match. Scurll throws powder in Kusida's eyes, they're the only two fucking dudes in the ring besides the ref, the ref turns around and doesn't even sell that Kusida had powder in his eyes. I think there's a lot that NJPW does better than WWE, but reffing sure as hell ain't it.

Anyway, the whole podcast was a really good listen. Yeah, Jericho is delusional, but sometimes there's a method to his madness. By the way, Jericho in talking about spots no one would see coming again referenced the RKO counter spot. The same RKO counter that happened to 2 or 3 other guys before it happened to Jericho. I laughed. Jericho just loves to think that he and Randy came up with that.

• Like 2

To be fair, they did mention that they wanted him to kinda sorta try to ineffectually enforce the rules, to emphasize how unusual it all was. So if he looked confused at times, you could say he was working. In hindsight--or with reasonable foresight, honestly--this seems like maybe it wasn't the best creative choice. But, they also imply he messed up one or two other things that they just didn't want to specify. (Have to  assume the blade fumbling is among them, though Omega is no veteran with that scenario either.)

One other anecdote I forgot to mention from Jericho's podcast with Omega: He mentions Vince's reaction to the 'Alpha vs Omega' tagline being negative, that no one would get it. Which is funny, at first blush, that he can't turn off his promoter's instincts for a match that isn't even his. But it's funnier when Jericho mentions that the Alpha Entertainment news broke shortly after their phone call, and Vince probably just didn't want someone else using the word at the moment.

(One other other thing: Omega talks about his v-triggers as affectionately as you'd expect, considering how often and emphatically he deploys them.)