DVDVR Message Board

NJPW WrestleKingdom 12 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/2018

Raziel

Hard to do live PPV with only one hand is my guess

Sorry, listening to Kevin Kelly and don Callis talking about star ratings for 6 hours leaves me a little salty.  Listen you can say a ton of bad things about guys like mauro and Matt Striker but when they start telling you about the odds of star ratings in hyping a main event then we will talk.  <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

How come Dave Meltzer doesn't do live coverage of certain PPV's any more? Too busy, guessing? I thought he'd do this one as a big NJPW fan.

I think his time is stretched these days because he's contractually obliged to spend eight hours a day dismissively quote tweeting every single crank who complains about his WWE star ratings

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Firebreaker Chip said:

I think his time is stretched these days because he's contractually obliged to spend eight hours a day dismissively quote tweeting every single crank who complains about his WWE star ratings

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I thought this was way better than the 2016 match Naito won and a bit better than the Dominion 16 match. Where do you all rank it among their other title matches?

1. 40th Anniversary Show.

2. Wrestle Kingdom 12.

3. Wrestle Kingdom 8.

Haven't watched the others.

I didn't see this but I had been very doubtful about Jericho being self-aware and humble enough to work the sort of match that he should have worked instead of trying to work Omega's match to prove himself. It sounded like he did exactly what he should have done in this situation so I'm eating crow, give him credit, and am glad that he came up with a match that most people liked.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Let me be the first to apologize for mocking this

It's cool. I went with my gut because I knew Kota and I knew Cody. Cody is a great foundation for guys like Kota who need to slow the fuck down. I've rarely seen him work with guys who are super athletic like Kota and the closest to Kota was Rey Mysterio in a mediocre Wrestlemania that,if I recall correctly, stole the show. Rey Mysterio does not compare to Kota, but I figured if Cody worked with Kota in the same manner he worked with Rey except bigger and more athletic and daring spots, filled in some character work, it would be a sleeper.

Anyways, I took a break after the Jr Heavyweight 4-way so I haven't yet got to the IC match, US match or the Heavyweight match. So far, I do have Cody and Ibushi as my motn but no match so far has not been bad at all. I am still new to NJPW so it was me trying to understand names and factions a lot of the time.

Young Bucks vs 3k was good starter. I am not really a fan of the Young Bucks or most of Bullet Club really, but I felt that this was one of their better matches as I liked the precision back work that the match incorporated. I don't see that in the WWE where they used impact moves to emphasize back selling so that was great. I do not like 3k's gimmick at all. I am sorry. J-Pop/rap is the music on the elevator ride to hell and really they did little for me outside of the terrible taste in music and their glorified hype man with a fire extinguisher(I know who Rocky Romero is).

The Never Open Weight Gauntlet was fun for me because I was still trying to remember which faction was who. I don't understand why ZSJ is part of Suzuki-Gun, but whatever. It was a fun sprint or marathon...whatever, Good match. 

Rhodes and Ibushi was great. I kind of always wanted Ibushi to be the one who takes on Tanahashi's spot as ace, but dude is kind of weird with his loyalties. Cody kind of proved himself to be a good worker and Brandi is the greatest manager in wrestling right now. I am glad that this delivered.

LIJ fucking won the tag titles!  I was surprised to see Davey Boy Smith in NJPW.  I love how the KES basically wiped out everyone ad lived up to the Suzuki-Gun name of being straight fucking thugs. That was cool. 

Goto vs Suzuki was amazing and excellent character work from Suzuki all around. Was started by the shoot headbutts, but it fits Suzuki's character. I think leader's of factions should embody that faction's character and throughout the night, you witnessed the antics of Suzuki-Gun just being fucking vile and unhinged people. And their leader is the worst and I love it. Dude had the most amazing emotions throughout the match as he was beating the shit out of Goto. Even after the match, he shaved his head...angrily. Good shit.

The 4 way was a fun little sprint. I wanted Hiromu to win, but it did cap off the feud between Ospreay and Scurll with Ospreay finally getting a pin on him so good on that.

So far, this show is wayyyyy better than anything in the WWE. Can't wait to watch the final three matches later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Yeah Marty Scurll sucks n' all but look at those fucking wings! He might have the coolest look in wrestling at this point. 

That doesn't even show him zipping up on the platform. Entrance of the night for my money.

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

I started following Dave on Twitter a month or so ago, and, yeah, I'm surprised at the sheer volume of his tweets.  It's gotta be time consuming reading and responding to every troll who comes his way (and usually being a troll himself, which typically provokes more angry posts from the other troll, thus prolonging the argument).

Really dug the show.  Not my favorite WK, but the only match I really didn't dig was Tanahashi/White.  Don't mind White but he doesn't have the look or the aura to pull off Switchblade and the match never really got in gear.

Another reason to rag on Scurll - you know if and when his finger break spot is going to be countered depending if he's in position to do the knap for it. With that said, KUSHIDA and Osprey still botched their attempts at it (at least KUSHIDA tried) - it is pretty hard to do consistently.

That's the main reason Scrull can never lead Bullet Club. He can't do his signature spot while wearing a T-shirt and sales matter, damnit.

Before we totally write off Naito after this defeat, I do feel like it's worth noting that Gedo never put the IWGP title back on Nakamura even after he reinvented himself and was clearly the most popular guy in the promotion, and that didn't seem to hurt him or NJPW too badly.

That's an interesting comparison. And it is kinda ironic that Nakumura has gotten closer to--and is more likely to win in the future--the WWE than the IWGP title. Unfortunately, if he is to be the parallel/inverse ace to Okada, Naito hates the IC belt.

• Like 1

True but at least Nakamura had a garbage title that he build up to be the 2nd most important title in the company.  I believe MVP was the champion before Nakamura decided to treat it as the 'workrate' belt.    What title or event winning are you putting on Naito to have the same effect?   I guess he could win G1 again and try again next year.  Then he has to win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

Before we totally write off Naito after this defeat, I do feel like it's worth noting that Gedo never put the IWGP title back on Nakamura even after he reinvented himself and was clearly the most popular guy in the promotion, and that didn't seem to hurt him or NJPW too badly.

This comparison seems flawed because:

1) both Nakamura and the golden boy were repping Chaos, so there was story there keeping Nakamura out of the title scene; and

2) Nakamura was aware of how much of a goddamn rockstar he was, and chose to elevate a whole other belt/title scene around his center of gravity, rather than chase someone else.

So the first conceit is off the table, and the second (which would just be treading old ground anyway) is undercut by the fact, as mentioned, Naito hates the idea of being a second-tier champ rather than the alpha dog.

So watch him fuck around EVIL for LIJ SUPREMACY~ and then get another two-show reign six months after it feels right or something. 

Scurll looks good and has a gimmick and people are into his theme and I've seen him work good non-bullshit entertaining wrestling matches, I do not understand what he is doing at the moment, I think he's as good as any of them on his day, for real. I think the current British mega-indie mode is cheesy as fuck (I am British too, before you dive in).

• Like 3