DVDVR Message Board

NJPW WrestleKingdom 12 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/2018

Raziel

The knock on a lot of NJPW main events are their slow starts but people forget that the co-main is usually well received. They aren't running an 8-Way women's match second-to-last like at Mania. In a vacuum one might wonder why it takes guys awhile to get going but after something like Omega/Jericho I'd take it down a notch and build it back up, too.

• Like 2

I guess the theory is if there are going to be more eyeballs on this than any show you’ve done before, you want to put over your ace to that new audience.  And despite how hot Naito is right now, Okada is still the ace they’re going to be centered on for years to come.

Even not liking Jericho/Omega as much as the rest of you, this was a hell of a wrestling show. Bucks with a great match, Cody/Ibushi with a shockingly great one, the gauntlet was fun, really good tag title match, fun if overly long Jr scramble...

• Like 3

More thoughts after I get some sleep, but this was a fantastic show.  Even the 2 matches that didn't really connect with me (the junior 4 way, Tana/White) weren't any worse than I expected them to be going in.  Everything pretty much met or exceeded my expectations.

• Like 2

real quick review

- RAMBO fucking yeah Kakihara wins with Kakicutter, ***** (***, was fun)
- Jr tag was like a proper wrestling match with Yoh doing a fake I'm hurt and Matt actually spasming his back, reminded me of Midnights v RNR in parts, strong like ***3/4
needed to eat so nipped out for first half of gauntlet but came back to see Yano laughing it up and the good final fall ***
- Cody was good as Milo, Ibushi was good as Ibushi, this was a really good match ****
- Heavy tag was exactly right, Archer on fire tossing bitches around, short and powerful and best heavy tag since god knows when ****
- NEVER/hair match was brilliant and as someone on Twitter said they glided around Goto's sticky mid-match run by having him just get whipped throughout. A lot of notables (dropkick, hanging choke, hair thing at the end) and all Suzuki's I note ****1/4
- Jr heavy was not my thing and though they busted out some good stuff I cannot look past the dumb stuff DUD
- IC didn't click and they kinda left Jay to die a bit out there. In my world I'd have gone Ishii-Tanahashi and debut Switchblade post-match. That way you get a guaranteed good match and huge shine without the pressure to perform. I think Jay will be fine but he's a face with fire and not Nakamura with a knife. ***
- absolutely loved Kenny & Jericho more than I expected and sure it was overlong but it felt like A Big Deal and it reminded me how good Jericho is with details and cutoffs etc. Spot of the night was the rope break on the OWA. ****3/4
- no comment on main event booking only to say Gedo got us here so he knows what he's doing. not the rating shattering megalith we expected but a damn good wrestling match ****3/4

• Like 2