DVDVR Message Board

NJPW WrestleKingdom 12 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/2018

Raziel

I think the NEVER title was at its best when it was the unofficial Toughest Guy in the Promotion title, so I'd love to see Suzuki/Ishii in that spot.  That's a fresh matchup, and Ishii has had a strong year and deserves better than being tossed in a multi-man shmoz.

Suzuki/EVIL 2 would also be good, but I imagine they'll have LIJ defend the 6-man titles there, as that's the easiest way to get all 3 of those guys on the show in a "relevant" match.

So maybe Jusu?

I'd say the NEVER title has to be Ishii or Goto, and Goto would just be rehashing last year's story, and has been pretty much a non-factor since dropping the belt.  They got an easy cross over with Suzuki finishing up beating up Ishii's little buddy at Power Struggle, so there's that.

I'm not as worried about Omega/Jericho as a lot of people.  Although Jericho can't admit he can't keep up the way he used to, he has the good goddammed sense to do enough to at least make it watchable.  Cody just drags down whoever he's in the ring with, and Ibushi NEEDS someone to keep him reeled in, and Cody sure as hell ain't it.  Tanahashi's in this weird spot where he'd be back into full God-tier with Okada if his arm wasn't fucked, so he's only just below.  I haven't seen enough of White against quality guys to make a judgement of if he can hang with Tana in a Dome top card match, so yeah, this show so far is hinging on Okada/Naito.  

I'd much rather the Jr Title was just KUSHIDA and Hiromu, as I fucking hate Ospreay and Scrull, and they're gonna drag the match way the fuck down.  Although at least Ospreay is starting to get clued in that he needs to throttle back his shit.  Scrull is fucking trash and really needs to go the fuck away.

They have to at least run the 6 man belts to get EVIL on the main show, but I'm hoping they don't cop out and do the gauntlet matches again just to get the most people possible on the show, although Okada/Naito is the only match I realistically see going past 20, so they might have some wiggle room.

That is about as stacked of a card that there ever could be.

Fale and the GoD have the night off or something?  I can't imagine a hot PPV without Bad Luck trying to kill the ring announcer again.

Fale/GOD will probably be involved in whatever they do with the NEVER 6 man title if I had to guess, probably another gauntlet, with LIJ defending against BC, Suzuki-Gun (ZSJ, Taichi and Taka), Chaos (Yano, Goto, someone) and Taguchi JAPAN (Taguchi, Juice, Ricochet)  

• Like 1

Has there been any news about how long Jericho is sticking around?  I assume he'll at least work multi-man matches in the shows immediately following WK, but there are some matchups I wouldn't mind seeing if he plans on working for the company for a while (Jericho/Okada, Jericho/Naito, Jericho/Tanahashi, Jericho/Yano, and Jericho/Suzuki could all be fun).

On 11/9/2017 at 11:12 AM, Sublime said:

Fale/GOD will probably be involved in whatever they do with the NEVER 6 man title if I had to guess, probably another gauntlet, with LIJ defending against BC, Suzuki-Gun (ZSJ, Taichi and Taka), Chaos (Yano, Goto, someone) and Taguchi JAPAN (Taguchi, Juice, Ricochet)  

There's also the pre-show Kingdom Rumble or whatever they call that battle royal.

I know he isn't really being pushed right now but I would have really liked to have seen Ishii in one of the big singles title matches on this show. I guess they could still have him beat Suzuki for the NEVER belt but he's already had that belt a couple times and it wouldn't feel special. Ishii finally winning the, for instance, the IC title would have been an epic Dome Show moment. BBBBBbbbbuuuuutttt i do acknowledge he is insanely old for a guy who can go like he does and they need to be developing new stars. 

The quotes from Jericho on the Ross Report are wild

He has reportedly never watched a Kenny Omega match

He is however confident that he will be able to catch up on him real quick and put together the match in a way that plays to Kenny Omega's strengths

New Japan don't understand how big this match is and it is the main event of the show everywhere outside Japan

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

He has reportedly never watched a Kenny Omega match

Yeah this one was... I mean, he's interviewed the guy. Does he do zero research for his own show?

That said, it probably won't matter, insofar as Jericho does what he does at this point, and Omega, I'm sure, has a very good idea what he wants to do. (Dude is nothing if not crazy invested in his own performances.) Still though. Still. Chris. What. It's a bit shocking if true--and I guess it is?--but why the hell would you say it?

And to play devil's advocate, he's on tour with a band, just released a book, does two podcasts a week, did some travel show, and is trying to organize that cruise, so I'm not surprised he hasn't had a chance to study tapes. I'm sure 40 days is enough time to catch up. Given his experience and Kenny's talent, and assuming they'll mostly call it in the ring, he probably only needs a few days anyway.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the match. (It really only needs to reach 'fine' to do its job, and that seems a low enough bar.) I'm really just questioning Jericho's journalistic integrity here, having interviewed a guy about matches he's (apparently) never watched!

Isn't Jericho like Sting, in that he doesn't watch wrestling even though he wrestles? I remember when he had a PPV match where the fans voted for his opponent, and it was a legit vote, he had to ask the referee what Shelton Benjamin's finishing move was (per his own story). I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't watched an Omega match yet, but I am sure he'll do whats necessary to make it work.

• 2 weeks later...