DVDVR Message Board

NJPW WrestleKingdom 12 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/2018

Raziel

Official with Match order:

1/4/2018 Tokyo Dome, Tokyo Japan.

Main Event: IWGP Heavyweight Championship

"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (c) (CHAOS) vs. Tetsuya Naito (G1 Climax 26 Winner) (Los Ingobernables de Japon)

Semi-Final (Co Main Event ) IWGP United States Championship - No Disqualifications

"The Cleaner" Kenny Omega (c) (Bullet Club) vs. Chris Jericho (FREE)

IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. "Switchblade" Jay White

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Four Way Match

"The Villian" Marty Scrull (c) (Bullet Club) vs. Will Ospreay (CHAOS) vs. Hiromu Takahashi (L.I.J.) vs KUSHIDA

NEVER Openweight Championship - Hair vs. Hair - No Interference Allowed

Minoru Suzuki (c) (Suzuki-gun)  vs. Hirooki Goto (CHAOS)

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) (c) (Suzuki-gun) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) (2017 World Tag League Winners)

Special Singles Match

"The American Nightmare" Cody (Bullet Club) vs. Kota Ibushi

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championship - Gauntlet Match

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Tango Roa) (c) vs.

Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi, Juice Robinson & Togi Makabe) vs.

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Toro Yano & Beretta) vs.

Suzuki-gun (Takashi Iizuka, Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr) vs.

Michael Elgin & War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Roppongi 3K (Sho & Yoh) (CHAOS) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (Bullet Club)

Pre-Show: New Japan Rumble, featuring the rest of the roster that's not on the main card, and some surprise guests.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and yet we never got our Jericho/Takayama match. :( 

That was my first thought when I saw the Jericho announcement.

.... Then i immediately remembered what happened to Takayama and was bummed all over again.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Hasn't Jericho said in the past that He Would not wrestle for anyone else but Vince ? 

Yes - even repeated it in his new book.

Though in the book at least he kinda played it off as only wanting to work places he was comfortable

On 11/5/2017 at 1:48 PM, odessasteps said:

Hasn't Jericho said in the past that He Would not wrestle for anyone else but Vince ? 

Yeah. And Terry Funk said he was going to retire in 1997. 

Kind of wanted Ibushi vs Omega for the US Title, but hey next year.

So anyone else felt like that Ospreay vs Scurll match was a rehash of one of their many matches together? I am "eh" on the Fatal Four Way. It seems weak.

I caught up on the history of Okada and Naito and I am kind of looking forward to the match.

I don't know who Switchblade is. I'll look him up. 

This is my first Wrestle Kingdom and the card looks promising. I think Ibushi and Rhodes is going to steal the show.

16 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

This is my first Wrestle Kingdom and the card looks promising. I think Ibushi and Rhodes is going to steal the show.

Nah.  Should be a good match, but they're not going to get enough time to steal the show.  Naito vs Okada will probably be the match of the night.  Though White vs Tanahashi has a lot of potential.

I don't know if the crowd is going to buy White enough for it to reach classic level. He has a lot of potential but I hope they have him work his way up after a failed attempt rather than just give him instant success.

I like that people are questioning if Jericho and Omega will have a decent match, yet expect Cody and Ibushi to tear it down.  Cody's had one good match in New Japan and it was against Okada in Long Beach, and that was only because of the crowd heat of nobody wanting Cody within a mile of the IWGP title.

Who is expecting Cody to tear it down?  

Last year, the worst parts of WK were Cody's debut and the heatless ROH title match, so I'm glad those two things have been consolidated into one match, and maybe Ibushi will make the crowd give a shit about it.

Bix is making me paranoid on Twitter, suggesting Jericho might be politicking to usurp Omega's spot as the face of New Japan's American expansion.  Dear lord, no.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Who is expecting Cody to tear it down?  

Last year, the worst parts of WK were Cody's debut and the heatless ROH title match, so I'm glad those two things have been consolidated into one match, and maybe Ibushi will make the crowd give a shit about it.

Bix is making me paranoid on Twitter, suggesting Jericho might be politicking to usurp Omega's spot as the face of New Japan's American expansion.  Dear lord, no.

Mistake number 1 is taking any of Bix's "Vince and WWE are destroying wrestling " paranoia without a mountain of salt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I like that people are questioning if Jericho and Omega will have a decent match, yet expect Cody and Ibushi to tear it down.  Cody's had one good match in New Japan and it was against Okada in Long Beach, and that was only because of the crowd heat of nobody wanting Cody within a mile of the IWGP title.

It's more that I have faith in Ibushi than him. But as someone already pointed out, they aren't going to get time. and Cody lacks the ability apparently

And honestly, I don't know what Jericho is going to do. He's been inconsistent in WWE as far as I can recall. He hasn't really been the guy to watch if you catch my meaning, but it could be interesting to say the least.

There's a lot of workrate question marks in three of the big four singles title matches. Jericho, Jay White and Cody are likely not going to bring it at the level we expect from the last few Wrestle Kingdoms. The IWGP Junior Heavyweight title match resets things from last year's all-Japanese no-bullshit star-making glory right back to the old clusterfuck booking of juniors on big shows. The NEVER match is going to have to *bring* *it*. What the show will likely lack in match quality compared to the last few years I expect to be made up for in spectacle, which NJPW isn't always the best with.