DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: WARGAMES~~~!!!

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Or Dream & Black teaming together in the next Dusty Classic.

I really want to see this now. Best use of the odd-couple tag dynamic in ages.

Few other things...

-Opening the show with an Omega banner is hilarious.

-Women’s match felt short, and a bit... hmm. The crowd seemed to feel Kairi needs to wait her turn a bit, and that Cross and Ember have missed theirs. The reaction was ultimately good, but it did feel less a cathartic moment than it ought to have.

-Stoked to see Almas win. Drew, like Roode, is very good—but sorta bores me nonetheless. I want to see Almas way more.

-Dream/Black might be my NXT—and thus, WWE—MOTY. Great work and character, which made both guys.

Someone suggested "Black Velvet" for an Aleister/Dream team (Dream Team!) and it's so perfect it'll never get used.

War Games allowing pinfalls pissed me off far worse than not having a roof.  Talk about not getting the point of the match at all.  They could've done the same match inside the Elimination Chamber and it would've gotten the same response.

• Like 1

I have to finish watching but A+ for Black/Dream. That was a really great match even without considering that it's Clark's first TV match that has had any length of time and also his first one in the spotlight. He friggin' delivered. Black is such a good worker -- somehow he makes a striking style work within a dark/brooding/mysterious archetype. But Dream really broke out in a huge way. He has great facial expressions and emotive skills. He's NXT's next great homegrown talent. 

• Like 1

- Ember needs a heel turn and fast.

- Almas would have been dead in the water without that win and Drew has been very bland since his return - the right result.

- War Games was good. Cole was clearly doing the cowardly heel thing by hiding on top of the cage and I'm not sure how anyone missed that. Finish was kind of flat but I kind of fail to see how a submission instead of pinfall would have made that much of a difference.

- Mauro is a shitty, shitty announcer and is by far the worst in the company. I have no idea how he has such a following.

• Like 1

With Mauro , it’s for every good line he has eight stinkers. His line about a spot being meme worthy was the absolute pits. And yeah, Cole was being a freaking heel with the crawling bit. I loved the main, so they changed a few things, so what? They got what was important right, first half there’s temporary disadvantages and you can’t win until everyone is in. 

And Dream was made last night, I loved that match almost as much as I loved his leather fringed top. 

And Roddy dressed as the AOP was a great callback to Dusty painting his face like the Road Warriors when they’d team.

• Like 3

I was shocked Almas won, but this was well-deserved after putting in a year's worth of thankless work of having great matches on Takeover.   I kind of expect him to drop it quickly, but maybe not, if they're going to try to draft off that Los Ingobernables hype.

I hope they don't try to babyface Velveteen Dream after the response he got tonight.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

- Mauro is a shitty, shitty announcer and is by far the worst in the company. I have no idea how he has such a following.

Its clear he needs someone to reign him in. He was never this bad on SDL, and I was never a huge fan of there.

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its clear he needs someone to reign him in. He was never this bad on SDL, and I was never a huge fan of there.

I just miss Graves. That guy on NXT was amazing. You just felt he genuinely loved what he was watching and gave a shit. There's moments on Raw where he genuinely seems in disbelief at the idiocy he has to call. 

2 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

I just miss Graves. That guy on NXT was amazing. You just felt he genuinely loved what he was watching and gave a shit. There's moments on Raw where he genuinely seems in disbelief at the idiocy he has to call. 

Like half the time Booker opens his mouth.

• Haha 1

I guess the question is if they called an audible and put the title on Almas because of Drew getting injured or if the plan was always to get the title on Almas, but that just wasn't the planned finish.

A day later and I still feel rotten for Drew Mac. Fucking sucks to be on the shelf for 3 to 6 months when the guy should be pushed to the Moon on Raw or SDL.

Do any of us deserve a Black Velvet team to become a reality? Probably not, but let's hope it happens.

Mauro's misses for sure outwiegh his hits. He needs to stop trying so hard. That's why Graves is so good. Even if he is pushing the narrative he comes off as natural and not over the top like Cole. I know that isn't totally Cole's fault with the crazy old man screaming in his ear, but still.

Really can't say I care about the lack of cage roof. Pinfalls I'm OK with if the right booking is there - I don't think they played up Cole avoiding the fray enough and then picking up a cheap pin for the right amount of heat.

I question the rest of team enters at once aspect, especially with three teams doing it at small intervals. It wasn't too bad for this one because so many of the guys weren't established names in their own right, and there's only so much build up you can dedicate to one half of an unestablished tag team making their big entrance into the cage. 

Dream/Black is probably second to Bate/Dunne, but a definite medal dais for MOTY.

1 hour ago, Rev Ray said:

I said this on twitter:

They should have given Velveteen Dream a special entrance and had him come out of a bath tub like in the "When Doves Cry" video.

How about if Dream came out with a plate of pancakes challenging Black to a basketball game?

• Like 5

At second look, if the ending to Almas/Macintyre was an audible, then they were ready, as Almas' music hit immedeately, and not with the "oh shit!" delay it would've taken had he not been the one going over.  

44 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

Zelina Vega interacting with Drew was hilarious. She looked like his 8 year old daughter. She adds a ton to Alma's gimmick. 

Almas should have put her on his shoulder so she could continue to get in Drew's face.

• Like 1