DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: WARGAMES~~~!!!

Dolfan in NYC

Those promos are dope. Very 1980s NWA. I'm excited to see the AOP toss Kevin O'Reilly's dumb face into the cage. Also, I'm predicting Alexander Wolff to steal the show. He was nuts in their last big match. Hoping we also get some sort of "THE CAGE IS OPEN!" segment for Nikki to sneak in for an added numbers advantage. The Undisputed guys are still corny as hell, but I do enjoy Adam Cole fleeing at the first sign of danger.

The best feud on the show is Black vs. Dream. I'm all in on Velveteen Dream. He's still green and can use a bunch of long matches with a guy who knows what he's doing like Black. But Velveteen Dream's going to hold a title at some point in time.

I think Dream is nailing the outside of the ring character stuff, but I feel like there's still something missing from the overall package.  The presentation could be a little more flamboyant, and he could do a little more to incorporate the gimmick into his matches.

Dream has a lot of potential and his character work in this feud has been top notch so far, however they've done little to present him as a legitimate in-ring threat to Black.  I think it will be a good match and will hopefully show that Dream can hang.

Velveteen Dream could benefit from studying early Goldust. If what you do in the ring doesn't match your character, the whole gimmick is wasted. Right now, he's probably even lagging behind Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea, which was basically the same gimmick.

I'm not digging the War Games rules at all, but I can't wait to see how the undercard matches utilize the 2-ring setup.

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I'm hearing a lot of "he should be gayer," which seems like something they have deliberately (and thankfully) played down.

THIS.

Prince Iaukea, really? I mean, that guy never got past his "high school drama student halfheartedly playing a fabulous character because he's really no homo." He was clearly not comfortable with the gimmick.

Dream is in new territory by himself, he's seriously channeling some funky Prince vibes through the lenses of Last Dragon. He's meta about how he uses his character too.

13 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

anyone else thinking this is prime material for a Dijak entrance to help The Undisputed Era?

I'm still calling a Roderick turn. I'd rather they introduce Dijak later and explain who he is since he's not as known as the other ROH alums. A Dijak run-in isn't going to create the same buzz as ReDRagon or Adam Cole BAY-BAY. I like Dijak, but he just isn't at that level yet.

I'm cold on Dream. A Prince gimmick in 2017 is just so cringe. I guess I'm just having TAFKAPI WCW vibes but it just seems like the type of gimmick that would come out on SD, everyone will laugh and then you'll never see it again.

• Like 1

After this week's NXT, I think I understand why they are not putting a roof on the cage (besides logistics); a lot more high flying moves.

I remember just how freakin low the original War Games cages were, like the guys could barely hop without hitting the roof. Finn isn't there to Mario the roof so why bother.

So, could it be that the reason they are doing War Games on NXT is so they can get some HD footage to use for when they do it on the main roster?

maybe then they add a roof to it to make it "War in Hell" or something like that.