DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: WARGAMES~~~!!!

Dolfan in NYC

Before I strongly object, let me give credit where it's due: the storyline with Vega has actually been really good. The matches haven't, but the story is.

Beyond that... Yeah, he's easily my least favorite featured wrestler in NXT. His offense looks like shit, especially when he was trying to do it Drew Saturday and literally wasn't tall enough to even get Drew into position. I know I'm in a distinct minority, and I know @RIPPA is gonna yell at me, but I feel like I'm the one sane man in an asylum where everyone else is praising an obviously terrible wrestler.

Plus Bobby Roode had literally half of my current 2017 WWE top ten matches, and my two favorite worldwide* matches this year, and is so obviously the MVP I don't even see why we're having a discussion on it.

*Which basically means WWE, ROH, the last few months of Impact, and some New Japan.

I skipped down to the part where you said half of your current WWE MOTY candidates involve Roode and I checked out. He's the definition of a wrestler who is all gimmick and nothing redeeming in-ring. In my opinion, anyway.

Just saw the Dream/Black match.   Very good, but I can see where the Dream is still a bit green, but he'll get better with time.   I would have loved it if after the words Black spoke Dream just collapsed in a heap with a smile on his face.  That would have been the perfect ending.   Great story and very good match though.

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

I skipped down to the part where you said half of your current WWE MOTY candidates involve Roode and I checked out. He's the definition of a wrestler who is all gimmick and nothing redeeming in-ring. In my opinion, anyway.

Different strokes. He's literally my platonic ideal of a perfect in ring heel.

And he really needs to turn heel on the main roster already because everything good about him is stripped away when he doesn't take the heat and get to be slimy as fuck.

Well, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree because I thought Roode's run as champ was boring to the point of actually skipping NXT segments.

I'm not sure I really "buy" Almas as champ (this is where NXT is hurt by not having a secondary singles title), but he's got the best body of work in the company this year from the Lorcan matches early, to the Gargano matches, and his ascent to the top.

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Wargames' only problem was being called Wargames. It was a fine WWE-style garbage match where everyone got a moment or two to shine.

Not the first time I see this and it makes me wonder every time: by WWE-style garbage match, does everyone mean a suitably brutal looking match that is relatively safe?

Because that's what I would define this NXT Wargames match and if that's "WWE-style garbage match"... then fuck me, but I want ALL hardcore matches to live up to this level.

On 19.11.2017 at 5:23 PM, Goodear said:

Other than a catchphrase, I still fail to see the deal about Adam Cole.  Why does he always get pushed to titles?  

Because he looks like HBK.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Everyone is sleeping on Killian hitting the Van DAMOnator. (See what I did there?)

Problem is that he did the Van Terminator.

Did anyone see the table where Wolfe was lying on for while? Wolfe bled at least a pint of blood on that thing.

• Like 1

Few things about Cole in his favor: 

1) He's a really strong promo. They haven't utilized that at all in NXT but his character work is really solid. Even in the match, I think he played the chickenshit heel role well.

2) He's pretty great at garbage brawls. He had some really strong matches with KOR and Jay Brisco in ROH.

3) He does manage to connect with the crowd, even if it's just because of his goofy catchphrase.

Of course, he's really scrawny. One thing about NXT though is that the heavy emphasis on weight training they do generally  has had a positive affect on anyone. With the exception of Hero, is there anyone that comes through NXT and comes out in worse shape?*

A bigger issue than Cole is how utterly lost Kyle O'Reilly looks. I was never as high on him as some and always found his goofy twitchy selling to be pretty terrible but man, he is a non-factor thus far. 

8 hours ago, turk128 said:

Not the first time I see this and it makes me wonder every time: by WWE-style garbage match, does everyone mean a suitably brutal looking match that is relatively safe?

No headshots, no blading, mandatory tower of doom, weapons consist of chairs, tables, trash cans, and kendo sticks. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing, just obvious quirks you'll see in every WWE match, and unlikely all together in a non-WWE match.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:42 PM, bink_winkleman said:

Going to this show. Haven't seen NXT in months. Excited to see Eric Young. And the kid in me is so stoked to see War Games. But mostly?

THE FUCKING THEME SONG IS FUCKING POWER TRIP THE GREATEST METAL BAND ON THE PLANET. Literally the single best WWE theme in the company's history. Watching the last episode of NXT and they had clips of a bloody Flair and shit scored to Executioner's Axe and I haven't so viscerally marked out to wrestling solely because of music since RVD coming out to Pantera.

I have been pretty into NXT's themes. Code Orange was a great choice and Power Trip is insane. Weird to think I saw them just a few years ago destroy a house show in Detroit and here they are on WWE programing. 

On 11/20/2017 at 7:43 AM, Sublime said:

The match was about getting Undisputed Era over and they were not going to be able to get any member of Sanity or AOP to submit or surrender which would have left Roddy as the only one to submit, it made sense for the purpose of the match to have it be able to end in a pinfall. 

If you can't get out of a gimmick match with a proper finish because of the situation, don't book the fucking gimmick match to begin with.

That was my major issue with War Games, and it's the same as my major issue with a lot of WWE's gimmick matches since they moved to the eponymous PPV names - they try to make a storyline fit the gimmick match, rather than the gimmick match becoming necessary as a result of the storyline.  They think "we want to do a Hell in a Cell match" and shoehorn someone into it, rather than building a feud that would require a Cell.  That was the entire point of the match to begin with.

• Like 4

I took this from our seats, no zoom.  I don't care what no one says.  That War Games match was awesome.  Still need to go back and watch it on the broadcast, but live it was incredible.  I was fine with the finish because it was a war of attrition at that point, and someone had to win so they'd stop maiming each other.  Not pictured in the above - Alexander Wolfe laying dead in a pool of his own blood.  Amazing he got back into the finishing run.  He deserved to have his name chanted at the end. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If you can't get out of a gimmick match with a proper finish because of the situation, don't book the fucking gimmick match to begin with.

That was my major issue with War Games, and it's the same as my major issue with a lot of WWE's gimmick matches since they moved to the eponymous PPV names - they try to make a storyline fit the gimmick match, rather than the gimmick match becoming necessary as a result of the storyline.  They think "we want to do a Hell in a Cell match" and shoehorn someone into it, rather than building a feud that would require a Cell.  That was the entire point of the match to begin with.

I agree with you that they shouldn't book gimmick matches if they can't properly use them but that's WWE these days so I'll take it as it is and how it works as it is. It would be nice if WWE got back to logical booking again and sadly NXT used to be a haven for it but as they have become more popular they have started to be booked a little more like the main roster sadly.