DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: WARGAMES~~~!!!

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, I'm glad that around the second match they found whoever the fuck was beating a drum or whatever that sound was. Seriously, stop being assholes and stop being a nuisance. Why deliberately try to make everyone else miserable just so you can hear your dumb noisemaker on the replay of the show.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, this was this constant boomboomboomboom sound during the first two matches. It was seriously fucking annoying, but it abruptly stopped in the second or third match.

I paused my feed during Ohno-Lars just to make sure it wasn't my neighbours. Ditto on being grateful they resolved the issue.

Anyway, I'm thrilled Cien won. That said, even before the 3-count I didn't love the way Drew landed. When "torn bicep" started going around, I was genuinely relieved. And I'm still holding out hope that it's a work to somehow make Drew a more sympathetic babyface.

What else can I say about this show?

Spoiler

VELVETEEN DREAM

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Kurrgan's finisher was the claw slam. It probably hasn't been used since.

Didn't Kenzo Suzuki in WWE do one or something similar? Tensai too? Spotting a trend here, Vince ; )

Will try to check the show out ASAP. Matches first?

Okay that out of the way:

KO/Lars was fun. Violent and stiff. Hero is never getting the big push so this did what it needed to and did it well.

Dream/Black: Probably match of the night. The amount of heat they got by just sitting still looking at each other was amazing. The camera man/director blowing the finish was a sad bit of foreshadowing though.

Women's 4-way: I was starting to think Nikki had gotten legitimately hurt on Ember's dive, how long she was out of the ring. This was fine, but I've come to expect more from NXT women's title marches on TakeOver.

Drew/Almas: I know I'm out of step with everyone else, but this was easily the worst NXT title match on a TakeOver this year. It was also probably the best match I've seen Almas have. The two best spots in the match both involved Vega and Drew with Almas distancing the ref. Hopefully they got blind sided by an unexpected call up, and they'll put the belt on literally anyone else asap. 

War Games: This was an entertaining mess. Camera and directing was a massive problem. Killian Dane looked like a breakout star from the moment he got in the ring until his last spot. Christ Wolf looked like a mess at the end.

Really strong show.

KILLIAN DANE

They have to turn Dream face.  I mean the crowd already has so just go full bore with it. Build off Black showing him respect at the end. You don't even need for him to change his act much except for having him go after a heel. Enjoyed everything about that match.

Ohno/Sullivan was exactly what it needed to be. Lars is a find. That unique look and he just keeps improving.

Women's 4 way was a bit disjointed and it indeed sucks they didn't use both rings. Ember really should have beat Asuka. Her being champion and having Asuka hand her the belt makes it seem like such a lame consolation prize.

Drew/Almas took some time to get going and grab the crowd, but had some really great moments. Sucks that Drew got injured, but Almas has been busting his ass and deserves a run. Vega is fantastic in her role.

War Games...let's just not call it that okay? Too many changes. Now for a WWE garbage match it was fun. Everyone, especially Sanity, really busted ass and they had a ton of crazy spots. Finish was disappointing and kinda made the end of the show feel flat. 

Really looking forward to Gargano/Dunne.

I normally just watch the Takeovers, so I really hadn't seen anything with the Velveteen Dream, but holy shit what a first impression. From the entrance, to the airbrushed  tights, to the mannerisms, and the dude can go in the ring! That rolling the dice DDT was probably the best variation of that move I have ever seen. 

His, "Say My Name" schtick had Destiny's Child in my head the entire match, and him coming out to this for a WrestleMania might be GLORIOUS.

This was worlds better than any of the Okada/Omega matches, IMO.

On 11/17/2017 at 12:37 AM, hammerva said:

I can understand why people are pissed about the roof not being there but to me winning a match by pinfall is really the thing that takes away the luster.  

On 11/17/2017 at 4:50 PM, Craig H said:

Count me in for not caring about there being no roof, but thinking that winning by pinfall is bullshit.

SUBMIT OR SURRENDER MOTHERFUCKERS. Brothers need to be handcuffed to the ropes or the cage while they watch their friend get shitkicked until surrendering or they have to surrender for them. THAT'S THE DRAMA IN WARGAMES, THE MOTHERFUCKING MATCH BEYOND. When you have to surrender to the other team to prevent your partner from being hurt is when shit gets real. Winning by pinfall?! No, fuck all that.

Meant to post this earlier, I agree. 

• Like 1

The hoss battle between Ohno and LARS was so much fun. He kept hitting him with those elbows and Lars was all "that all you got". At one point towards the end anything Ohno was doing was just getting Lars really angry. God, it's fun to watch something like that. STOP MAKING HIM MAD. YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!!

Black vs. Dream started slow but turned into everything I hoped it would be. Dream is really becoming something special and its a shame NXT doesn't have like a tv title or something because the guy would be perfect for that kind of spot. I really hope this feud continues because they seem like they have way more to give.

The women's match was a bit of a let down just because these 4 ways seem to always get over loaded. I was hoping Peyton would win and it would set up a great Peyton/Kari feud, but Ember winning was a nice surprise.

Drew vs. Almas was really good, but I've never been sold on Cien on being a main event guy so I'm going to be interested to see how he does now that he's being given the ball. 

War Games was fun. Obviously it doesn't live up to the good old days, but hell we never thought we'd see it so I can't complain.

That wasn't War Games. If you're not going to give me a roof, the least you could do is Submit or Surrender. It separates the men from the boys, it just felt like a garbage match in a pseudo cage.

Ohno/Lars was good. I wouldn't mind a rematch where Ohno, instead of trying to knock this big ass motherfucker out, tries to tap him out, but still gets obliterated. 

• Like 1

Great show.

Just when I thought "how could you one-up the Road Dogg Defense", Adam Cole went and did it.

Aleister Black vs. The Velveteen Dream: this is why I watch NXT. You don't even need to know the story going in because they told it with the match. The emotion was there and they had the crowd hooked. The style/character contrast was fantastic. Dream channeling Rude was inspired. The ending was perfect example of how to win despite losing (also a great way to not make your face an asshole).

My biggest complaint about Velveteen Dream has always been that he was never fully committed to the gimmick.  Once the bell rang, he worked like just another guy.  Last night he really tied everything together and cranked it up to 11, and it was fantastic.  

I agree with the idea of turning Dream babyface.  He was over as fuck last night.  Dream vs Almas for the title could be amazing.  Or Dream & Black teaming together in the next Dusty Classic.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Only saw the opener last night and will try to get caught up on the rest. My big takeaway from the opener: Lars Sullivan is an ugly, ugly man. Pro wrestling ugly.

After watching his wrestle and then his promos, I am now convinced that he is the 2017 version of Gorilla Monsoon.  A monstrous ugly man who could kill you in the ring and then easily explain the situation in the promo

• Like 3