DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: WARGAMES~~~!!!

Dolfan in NYC

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unpinned, pinned and unlocked this topic

Yeah all these years we thought Vince didn't want War Games because it was a Dusty idea.  Maybe he realized that the camera crew would have no fucking idea how to shoot this  I mean 80% of this match was in one ring

Imagine how awful this match would have been if they decided to keep Sawyer Fulton in Sanity 

Fuck Alexander Wolfe's head is a mess.  

I thought every match was great pretty much.  Black and Dream was crazy.   Almas as the champion is great.   Women's match was fun as hell.  

The War Games match was fun but I thought the finish was a little weak.  There was at least some blood but two things this needed..  

I felt they really should have had roofs on the cages.  I also HATE that this match can end on a pin.  It has to be surrender man.  It has to be someone quitting because their will is shattered. 

Poor Survivor Series having to follow that...

Ohno/Sullivan was a good hoss fight sprint.  I'd like to see Ohno have some more success but Sullivan looked good going over here.

Black/Dream overdelivered for me.  With only a few years in the business Dream has a great grasp of psychology and is going to have a big future if his ringwork gets to be as good.  They did an excellent storytelling job and both guys were impressive as Dream really hung in there with Black.

The women's match was decent though the "two people get their shit in while the others lie on the floor" habit of WWE multiman matches is really tiresome.  I'm really surprised Ember went over but this was pretty much the last chance to do something with her.

I didn't have much interest in the world title match even though I think both guys are fine workers.  As the match went on I got more into it and Vega's presence added a ton to Almas' act and the bout in general.  McIntyre dropping the belt really surprised me but like Ember I think this is the last chance to have Almas go on a main event run.  Perhaps this means his feud with Gargano gets reignited and McIntyre debuts tomorrow (or later this week)?

Wargames was fun.  It wasn't a next level match in my eye but there were a lot of entertaining spots here and there.  Kinda shocked there was no big post-match angle or heel/face turn.

• Like 1

Apparently Wolfe got a huge ovation after the show went off the air as he was helped to the back.

So all three members of Sanity were bleeding - yet somehow Adam Cole didn't get busted back open

Dream/Black was spectacular.  Someone handed Dream a ton of Rude tapes and just said "Do this", complete with airbrushed tights.

War Games was ok, and overdelievered from what I was expecting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BL88 said:

Lars Sullivan does Muso for a finish, and as earth's last Takeshi Rikio fan I just want to let it be known that I appreciate that.

Doesn't that make you Earth's *only* Takeshi Rikio fan?

• Like 1

- Velveteen Dream vs. Black was just so fresh and different; I had relatively high hopes for that match but they shattered them.

- I'm so happy for Almas.

- The main was fun enough despite being nothing like a traditional War Games match, though the finish was super weak. I did totally love that none of them could leave the ring afterwards cuz Dain swallowed the key.

• Like 1

Undecided how I felt about the show. Lars/KO was really fun with both guys coming out looking like beasts. Black/Dream was decent, but had at least two moments where a guy with a striking gimmick kicked his opponent in the head and had it no-sold. Women's match was fine, but Ember was the worst choice of winner. Nigel highlighting all the times she'd come up short previously just screamed "our champion only has the belt because Asuka went to the big league"

Drew/Almas was MotN. Really great showing from both guys. Really convincing nearfall. Loved the spot where Vega failed to down Drew with a rana, he puts her on the apron like a gentleman then catches an Almas tope with a big forearm to the face. Really excited to see where they go with Almas as champion.

Main Event was really fun. So many nutso spots. Thought the 3 Sanity members were the stars of the show, real Dain showcase, but everyone in the match played their role. Cole was the least impressive, but I'm not sure if that was because they were playing up that he was an opportunistic coward or because he's just not very interesting

• Like 3

For anybody that thinks the main event sucked,  what if they didn't call the match War Games?   As someone on my twitter mentioned, it was basically a watered down version of a Cage of Death match.   Yeah the camera work was awful but the in ring stuff was perfectly fine with me.  Well except for whatever the fuck Cole was doing at the top of the cage

Since the next Takeover is in Philly and Cole gets the clean pin, I assume Almas vs Cole is the world title match?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Women's match was fine, but Ember was the worst choice of winner. Nigel highlighting all the times she'd come up short previously just screamed "our champion only has the belt because Asuka went to the but league"

Asuka presenting the belt to Ember was a perfect way to remind everyone of that.

• Like 2

Lars is really the NXT version of Braun Strowman only with better promo skills which is shocking given he looks like missed a couple stages of human evolution.  God I hope Vince wasn't watching Takeover because one look at him and Lars would be on RAW next month

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Since the next Takeover is in Philly and Cole gets the clean pin, I assume Almas vs Cole is the world title match?

I think Roderick beats Almas, then Cole wins the title WM weekend.

I'm surprised as hell Roderick didn't turn. I loved his AoP gear. 

I guess Drew is getting called up. After Brooklyn, the plan looked like Drew vs. Cole. I definitely didn't expext Almas winning.

I feel like Ember was the worst choice  of the four to win the women's title. I probably would have gone with Peyton or Nikki Cross. Speaking of Nikki, I'm a little disappointed we didn't get her diving off the top of the cage onto somebody.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. I can't wait to see Dunne/Gargano.