DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Nathan Fillion is going to star in an ABC crime drama named The Rookie

I am assume this show will eventually be the one that delays the start of ROH every week for me (Currently it is Castle)

• Haha 1

I'm watching Cheers for the first time at the moment. It's pretty great, but the sexual politics of it have aged poorly. A lot of the show is Sam's ceaseless harassment of the non-Carla women he works with, all played for laughs. I just finished season seven. The finale features a respected colleague of Frasier's making unwanted advances toward Rebecca. When she tells Sam and Frasier, they assume she's misunderstood something and laugh at her.

I feel like I picked the wrong cultural moment to watch this show during. 

We're a few episodes into season 1. It's...good...It's not Parks and Rec good though. Like, the writing is kinda cutesy, but it doesn't cut as deep as Parks and Rec. Does it get funnier? I know a lot of people really dig the series and compare it to some of the best TV comedies, but I'm just not feeling it yet.

Just now, Craig H said:

We're a few episodes into season 1. It's...good...It's not Parks and Rec good though. Like, the writing is kinda cutesy, but it doesn't cut as deep as Parks and Rec. Does it get funnier? I know a lot of people really dig the series and compare it to some of the best TV comedies, but I'm just not feeling it yet.

Do you already know the plot twist? I think it goes up a notch or two after that.

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not in my opinion, no.  I'm kinda with you on the show.  I like it and generally find it amusing.  I don't really feel it as much as others do, and think the "best comedy of a generation" talk is really overpraising the show.  Basically, I think it's mildly amusing when I want it to be outrageously funny or brilliant.

I'm caught up on season 2 and think you've probably seen enough to form an impression about the show as a whole.  What you see in the first few eps is generally what you get the rest of the way.  What I mean is, if you're not feeling it after a few eps of season 1, you probably won't be feeling it when you're halfway to season 2.

There is a plot twist at the end of season one which is sort of brilliant.

I actually think this season might be less funny than season one in one way: the characters are mostly striving to be better people so they've lost some of their rough edges.  I know that's a theme of the show, but Eleanor and Tahani are funnier when they're behaving badly.  Ernest, trying hard to be good Eleanor is less funny than hot mess Eleanor.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the show or anything.  It's worthwhile. 

On 11/3/2017 at 11:14 AM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If they drop his name one more time, I'm going to need a Steve Austin cameo on The Good Place. And that's the bottom line.

I was actually expecting him to appear as a gift for Eleanor an episode or so back. 

• Like 1

I haven't done my sci-fi rundown in awhile so...

Trek Discovery has improved a lot since its become more of an ensemble instead of focusing exclusively on Michael. This past week's episode was your standard time loop story I think every Trek show has done but it was saved by Rainn Wilson's awesomeness as Harry Mudd. I'm kinda sad Abrams wasn't smart enough to turn Mudd into a narcissistic sociopath and make him the big bad instead of totally fucking up Khan.

Orville is just fantastic TV. I think Macfarlane bait and switched them because the first couple eps were very sitcomy but the last month or so the show has basically become straight sci-fi. The Krill episode was amazing and this past week they found a breakout character in Isaac. I'm glad to hear Fox learned from their blunders with other great sci-fi shows and already greenlit season 2. It really is the most perfect Trek show since TNG.

Designated Survivor really took a huge step back regarding the magnitude of the main storyline. The first season was about the murder of the whole US government (including senate and the house of representatives) and a plan to take over the country while the second season deals with the murder of a journalist and some corruption thingy the mother of the first lady did while the first lady was still a child. The show basically has become a third rate West Wing (or a second rate Madam Secretary).

• Like 1

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown is doing Puerto Rico right now, only a couple months before the flood. He just said "no longer economically viable", just like the dude with the sign in Falling Down. This is, again, before the flood.

This episode is going to make me really really really mad

EDIT: ...aaaaaaand this episode is sponsored by Koch Industries. Is there even a reality anymore? Has there ever been? 

5 hours ago, Robert s said:

Designated Survivor really took a huge step back regarding the magnitude of the main storyline. The first season was about the murder of the whole US government (including senate and the house of representatives) and a plan to take over the country while the second season deals with the murder of a journalist and some corruption thingy the mother of the first lady did while the first lady was still a child. The show basically has become a third rate West Wing (or a second rate Madam Secretary).

Yeah, I was really into the first season, but when it came back for the second, I just couldn't get into it. Would have made for an awesome mini-series, I think.

Yeah, I watched it. Vice Principals is criminally underrated and underwatched. It's so fucking good week to week. Sucks that we're already at the series finale, but it's been one hilarious and dark ride.

• Like 1

On 4.11.2017 at 5:37 PM, pipGofern said:

Orville is just fantastic TV. I think Macfarlane bait and switched them because the first couple eps were very sitcomy but the last month or so the show has basically become straight sci-fi. The Krill episode was amazing and this past week they found a breakout character in Isaac. I'm glad to hear Fox learned from their blunders with other great sci-fi shows and already greenlit season 2. It really is the most perfect Trek show since TNG.

I have watched the first two episodes yesterday and today and so far I would describe the show as "Galaxy Quest that does not go for the TV show angle". It's a clear parody of Star Trek so far and I am loving it, though it's nothing I can see working in the long run, so I am not surprised they have changed the direction in the following episodes.