DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/7/2017 at 3:50 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Speaking of kids in TV shows, I loved how in The Americans

Reveal hidden contents

Henry has a pretty awesome life going on off-screen and nobody noticed because they're all too busy with spy hijinks. 

I watched about half of the first season of this and thought it was well done but it didn't really hold my attention, plus there was too much other stuff I was keeping up with at the time.  Is the series as a whole worth checking out?

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I watched about half of the first season of this and thought it was well done but it didn't really hold my attention, plus there was too much other stuff I was keeping up with at the time.  Is the series as a whole worth checking out?

Yes, though I would warn that the pace is generally slow throughout. I'd put it just a tier below the top dramas on TV today. 

• Like 1

The Nathan For You season finale was nothing short of a masterpiece. 

Spoiler

What is an absurdist business-themed prank show somehow made a two-hour love story about a lonely old man filled with regret while Nathan can't figure out where the camera ends and life begins. It's hysterical. But it's also sad and poignant and joyous and hopeful. It's all of the feelings. I will watch this again. This felt a lot more like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or one of the Season 2 Jim/Pam "WIll they/won't they?" episodes. Just an amazing television moment.

I'm finishing up the 2nd season of Last Chance U, and I honestly don't know if I can take another season.  Isiah Wright's entire story arc is killing me.  He is perhaps the most talented player on the team but he is so clearly doomed.  When he's on the field, there really isn't anyone you'd rather want, but when football is off the table he has nothing.  He legit only cares about football in a way that he could make it...but as soon as he couldn't contribute on the field he was treated like he was completely disposable.  He had a concussion and a high ankle sprain, neither injury is something that you can play through.  He went from a dynamic player to someone who couldn't change directions without falling down and the coach accused him of faking the injury for sympathy.  That interview where he sat there and said, "Once you see how they act and it feels like they're using you...the trust is gone," we should have known he wasn't going to make it.  

That kid Kam Carter has no business whatsoever being on a college football team.  He clearly has the talent, but he's emotionally broken in a way that the pressure of a college football team can't help.  

That school broke the academic advisor.  She's just done.  When she said, "I'd never have to show up if I only had to deal with the adults on campus," it told me everything I need to know about that school, that team, and everything wrong with the culture around football.  Those players range from hopeless, to broken, to fucking criminal, and they didn't break her...the fucking adults did.  

Buddy Stevens is the worst.  I really can't stand him.  The players don't respect him.  It is questionable whether or not the other coaches respect him.  He's one of the worst people possible to be in charge of this particular group of kids.  The way he treats Kam, who is a legitimate problem for himself and the entire team, is laughable when compared to how he treats Isiah, who clearly wants to play but is injured.  Isiah is smart enough to see through the bullshit but too broken that he can't put it aside and do what he has to do.  Isiah is a loudmouth who should learn how to shut up, but he's pretty much not an issue for anyone but himself.  This show is fucking exhausting.  The scene where Buddy talks about how he and his father don't really talk fucking killed me.  His dad tried to make conversation with him and his answer to his question made his dad say, "Fuck this shit,' and stop talking.  That dude is such a fucking blowhard, he can't see how much of this shit is 100% his fault.

I want Tim Bonner to make it, just so he can buy that land in England and he has to interact with proper ass English people.  

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm watching The Keepers on Netflix. Content warning: If graphic description of abuse of minors bothers you (which it should), I'd steer clear of this one. I'm two episodes in and already somewhat regretting this one. 

I've had that in my queue for awhile and haven't started it for the reason you mention. I know it's excellent, I just gotta work up to seeing it. 

On 11/9/2017 at 11:18 PM, Greggulator said:

The Nathan For You season finale was nothing short of a masterpiece. 

Reveal hidden contents

What is an absurdist business-themed prank show somehow made a two-hour love story about a lonely old man filled with regret while Nathan can't figure out where the camera ends and life begins. It's hysterical. But it's also sad and poignant and joyous and hopeful. It's all of the feelings. I will watch this again. This felt a lot more like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or one of the Season 2 Jim/Pam "WIll they/won't they?" episodes. Just an amazing television moment.

This was such an odd season finale. You pretty much nailed it with your spoiler description.

I was telling my wife earlier about it and I hope he definitely elaborates on future episodes about these 2 new relationships he’s developed.

Last night Vice Principals concluded. 

Spoiler

Was disappointed by the finale of Vice Principals. It was GOOD, it lost a lot of tension when it was revealed Abbot was indeed the one who shot Gamby. It was a logical choice and I mentioned the possibility last week. But sometimes logical is not always satisfying. 

You have a new degree of tension with the tiger. With Russell getting shot in the first act, you do believe anything can happen. Anyone can die. The least satisfying thing is Abbott does not get eaten by the tiger. But the epilogue is very satisfying, especially with Steve Little as the middle school vice principal. 

Anyone watching The Exorcist this season?  It's really good.  When I heard this season would be a fresh story instead of a continuation of season 1 (for the most part), I had my doubts.  But man, they really pulled it off.

And I'm usually pretty good at playing "spot the actor" but it somehow took me six episodes to realize the punk/goth girl on The Exorcist is the punk/goth gril from Deadpool.  I'm slipping, I guess.

The Hollywood Reporter says George Clooney is going to star in a 6 episode adaptation of Catch-22. He will also direct. No network is attached to the project yet.

Meanwhile - CBS is making a TV show based on Stripes

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

You can't make Stripes in a network tv show. What a stupid idea.

Just, fuck, make Major Payne into a tv show.

For some reason I thought they had made Major Payne into a TV show already. I was justifiably shocked to fins out they hadn't.

I mean as far as Bill Murray movies go, if they could make one into a TV series I think the world is ready for a full mini-series of "Where The Buffalo Roam"

James