DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Tomorrow and Wednesday Fathom events are showing "Casablanca " on the big screen at theatres all over the country.  I got my ticket. It's my favorite movie and I've seen it hundreds of times, no exaggeration,  but never on the big screen. I can't wait. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Tomorrow and Wednesday Fathom events are showing "Casablanca " on the big screen at theatres all over the country.  I got my ticket. It's my favorite movie and I've seen it hundreds of times, no exaggeration,  but never on the big screen. I can't wait. 

Thanks for the heads up. It is playing Wednesday at my theater. Can't wait.  

Snagged Bad Boys on DVD today at (redacted supermarket). Hey, it was five bucks. And if you need to know which Bad Boys it was, you don't know me very well. 

Also, because it was (redacted supermarket) I even had to show my ID! And I'm turning 34 in two weeks! Maybe that's also because I was grabbing seasons 3 and 4 of Tales from the Crypt but whatever. It's nice to know that they're being consistent at least (not selling Parental Advisory stickered albums, not selling booze on Sundays before noon, etc.)

24 Hours to Live (2017) Ethan Hawke doing his best Bourne. Same producers of John Wick, so its a fun action flic at least.

Speaking of Hawke, I'm loving his part in everything he's done recently. Notably, the damn good western In a Valley of Violence (2016) and fantastic criminally overlooked sci-fi Predestination (2014).

On 11/6/2017 at 2:10 PM, RIPPA said:

The Breaking News when it feels like Breaking

There is serious movement towards 21st Century Fox almost everything to Disney

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

with regards to Marvel, i would be down for Silver Surfer being ported to the MCU. don't really care about the Fantastic 4 franchise and the X-Men films have been largely enjoyable.

16 hours ago, turk128 said:

In a Valley of Violence (2016)

That was great, flat out. I need to give it a rewatch but it's a surefire sleeper that needs to be seen. 

Bad Boys was pretty much a nightmare. There were moments of melodrama that would cut the severity but those were few and far between. The entire time, in the back of your head you're thinking "it's worse than this these days now" yet it throbs like a malignant tumor. The end doesn't resolve shit, either.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, turk128 said:

Blade of the Immortal (2017) getting Takashi Miike to direct this was a brilliant move; its bloody brutal and eerily poetic at times. It's as good an adaptation as you can expect.

I'm a big fan of the manga so I am happy that it is as good as I hope it might be.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, bazzil said:

As an Australian who has spent all of my 28 years living here (aside from a few months of total holiday time in Murica) Im pretty sure I have never heard at least a quarter of those phrases actually used in real life.

Now you know how African Americans feel when we encounter exported hip hop culture freaks in Europe and Asia and they use phrases and slang that we haven't used in decades.

Watched Guys and Dolls yesterday with the wife. Happy to know it's still as wonderful as the first time I saw it decades ago. I think Sheldon Leonard could read recipes from a random cookbook for 20 minutes and it would still be awesome.

We go to the Belmont Stakes almost every year. Each time, the bugler plays "Fugue for Tinhorns" from GAD (♪♫"I got the horse right here, the name is Paul Revere..."♪♫) instead of First Call before one of the races. So cool.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:45 PM, Brian Fowler said:

My local theater did Casablanca a few years ago. Mesmerizing. Room got a but dusty during the La Marseillaise scene

My favorite scene in any movie ever.

Back to the 21st Century Fox sales talk

Now Comcast is in on the action

Comcast is looking to acquire some of 21st Century Fox’s assets, something Disney was in talks for earlier this month, according to CNBC. The Comcast deal would be for 21st Century Fox and the Fox Television Production companies, not for Fox News, Fox Sports or the FOX channel. A source told the site that the talks are ongoing, and that the assets are the same ones Disney was interested in.

The same story says that Verizon is also interested

Last night on Netflix, I rewatched MICHAEL CLAYTON for the first time in years, and I'll be damned if that isn't one of the best least-talked-about movies of the last 10 years.

This is an elite screenplay.  The plot is impeccable, there is no wasted screen time, and every character's goal is clearly defined and they are at Peak Desperation to achieve it.  Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for playing Walking Anxiety Attack, but Tom Wilkinson is absolutely mesmerizing as a guy having a psychotic break and probably deserved to win it over Javier Bardem for Anton Chigurgh.  He is THAT good.  And this was Clooney's peak as a leading man, playing this classically cool character who just gets broken down until he realizes what he really is.  If not for Daniel Day Lewis putting in an all-timer, that was his best actor trophy in a walk.

And does any movie have a better in media res opening?  There are a lot of clever ones, but few land as powerfully as realizing what Clooney's reaction to the horses means and how it saved his life.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:44 AM, RIPPA said:

MoviePass has officially launched

https://www.moviepass.com/

So some of you will probably want to check this out

I've had this for about a month now. Took about five weeks to get the card but have used it five times without any issue at three different theatres. Well worth the price but have no idea how their business model is sustainable

Watched Bullitt tonight. Had forgotten how many 70s stand bys were in it besides McQueen, Bisset and Robert Vaughn: Norman Fell, Vic Tayback, Georg Sanford Brown, Simon Oakland and Robert Duvall.

Also watched It HappenedTomorrow, with dick Powell and linda darnell.  More slapstick than I expected.  Worth a watch.