DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

This technically should be in the box office thread but I need something to start off a new thread

http://deadline.com/2017/10/regal-plans-surge-pricing-movie-tests-2018-1202194773/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/26/media/regal-cinemas-dynamic-pricing/index.html

Regal theaters are going to start testing "Surge" Pricing in their theaters next year (or I guess the industry term is "dynamic pricing"

Basically - Blockbusters will be what we are paying now (let's just say roughly $15) while regular movies (clearly more like dramas, Oscar bait things, indie films, etc...) will like say $7

Also - Regal seems to be the ones trying the best to embrace the changing marketplace as they are working with that new Movie Pass service (while AMC is apparently suing Movie Pass)

Ax an avid movie goer, I think that AMC is being stupid.

Most people go to the movies at matinees or on discount days (Five Dollar Tuesday, Senor Citizen Wednesday, and such) and avoid peak ticket times like the plague. 

Expensive tickets are prohibitive and keep people out of brick and mortar movie houses.  If your movie is not showing a blockbuster, you're bleeding money. 

You have to be able to keep the lights on regardless of whether or not your new or recent releases are hits or bombs.

Moviepass is not an entirely horrible idea because theaters don't make the bulk of their money from ticket sales.  Concessions is where movie theaters earn their living. 

Keep the price of tickets reasonable so that you can put asses in seats at all times and sell those people outrageously priced and completely unhealthy food items. I am a loaded nachos and large Dr. Pepper man, myself.

• Like 1

I don't understand AMC.  

As they roll out Dine-In theaters, you would think the goal would be to get asses in those seats no matter what.  It's brilliant, because I know I've gone from bringing my own candy and maybe buying a soda to buying at least a beer and & appetizer every time I see a movie and spending way more than I used to, even though I exclusively go to the before noon $6.99 shows.  

I don't see anyone who will pay $15 for a movie at Regal with typical uncomfortable movie seating when you can go to AMC for much cheaper with plush recliners with tons of room where even in a full theater you don't feel like anyone is too close or in your way.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I just bought my ticket for Friday for a Thor at the AMC Dine in. 

10:45 matinee. $4.59 + convenience fee = $6

I buy the discounted tickets for Regal Cinemas from Army MWR in bulk for six bucks a piece.

Dude, why didn't anybody say this Boone bounty hunter movie was awesome?  Rampage Jackson was the drizzling shits but there weren't any super lame CG effects that ruined a good thing.  Better than Machete 2 with all that garbage green screen shit.  Not as good as the cream of the Lorenzo Lamas oeuvre.

The Breaking News when it feels like Breaking

There is serious movement towards 21st Century Fox almost everything to Disney

Fox would basically keep just the news and sports parts

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

I went on a beer tour with my brother-in-law on Saturday but we had some time to kill before the breweries he wanted to hit up opened.

"Hey, you wanna watch War for the Planet of the Apes?  It should be done in time for us to get going."

"Sure."

I sat down on the couch with my tablet and kind of half-watched it... until about 10 minutes in and I closed my tablet and gave the movie my full attention for the rest of it's runtime.

That was just fantastic.  One of the prettiest movies I've seen, CGI characters done so well that I'd find myself forgetting that they weren't CGI, and a rollicking tale about the folly of war and revenge.  Tremendous stuff.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Breaking News when it feels like Breaking

There is serious movement towards 21st Century Fox almost everything to Disney

Fox would basically keep just the news and sports parts

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

Yes, people are going apeshit with glee that the Marvel Studios licenses that Fox owns like the X-Men will be enveloped by the MCU. 

What this means for the future installments of the Deadpool saga keeping an R rating, I have no idea.

Well I love the X-Men and wouldn't mind seeing them worked into the MCU I don't love Disney absorbing more and more media. Monopoly's are bad except the game which is only bad like 50% of the time, and I don't like watching Disney continue to acquire more and more media businesses as it will only mean more homogenization. On the other hand taking 21t Centruy Fox away from Fox means that I would no longer be giving any of my money to Fox (don't watch their news and haven't stopped watching a lot of live broadcast sports) so that's not so bad.  

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Well I love the X-Men and wouldn't mind seeing them worked into the MCU I don't love Disney absorbing more and more media..  

It would be horrible if Disney worked the X-Men into the MCU now that Deadpool is firmly entrenched in that mythology.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It would be horrible if Disney worked the X-Men into the MCU now that Deadpool is firmly entrenched in that mythology.

Yeah, the MCU has been mostly great so far. Letting Deadpool in would be horrible.

Is it because of fear that they'd make it PG-13? Feige has said Rated R MCU movies aren't out of the question, but none of these movies really deserve it. You really think if Disney acquired the X-Men rights, that they'd do that? They're smart enough to realize that Logan and Deadpool did so well because they're different than all the other comic movies, and we all know the Mouse loves its money. I don't think you'd see Deadpool in a GotG, Iron Man, Captain America, etc. movie, but maybe one of the huge Avengers movies.

Disney has tons of subsidiaries where they release R rated movies.

I like the X-universe being separate from MCU for the most part, my only real problem with it is that they have been so inconsistent with quality, which I think MCU involvement would help (hence why I would't mind them being in MCU). However I don't think that is the only way to get to that they just need to find someone with the right vision and commitment to do with the x-men properties. And with things like Deadpool and Logan (which I still need to get around to seeing) and the upcoming New Mutants looking very interesting I think they might be getting there and being folded into MCU would probably mean that they would become more cookie cutter and we probably wouldn't be getting the kind of movies we're getting now.

Basically it comes down to X-Men have always been my comic book jam of choice and I just want to see them handled in a good and consistent manner.

• Like 1

What Sublime said. 

X-Men seems to work best being in it's own sphere. 

I've no real fear of Disney defanging Deadpool because there is plenty of evidence to show that Disney does not get in Marvel's way when it wants to produce edgy materiel.

If it did, we wouldn't have the Marvel Netflix boom or the Runaways on Hulu.

Disney already needs to be broken up into several smaller companies. You don't have to look any further for the ramifications of their monopoly than this week when they refused advanced screenings of their movies to LA Times reviewers because the paper did a piece on Disneyland's business relationship with Anaheim. 

That John Wick synopsis is exactly why I've never watched it.  I just can't handle shit like that in movies.

Hell, I haven't picked back up Stranger Things season 2 since 

Spoiler

that little monster ate the poor cat