DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

What’s the general opinion on Jimmy Garvin? I always thought he sucked, but the majority of my opinion on him is based on his run as a WCW Freebird with Hayes which was awful.

I am currently watching Starrcade 86 and saw his match with Brad Armstrong and it was awful imo. He did get a ton of heat after the time limit expired, so I’ll give him that.

Also Héctor Guerrero and Baron von Raschke vs. Shaska Whatley and the Barbarian? Those are some bizarre pairings.

His run in Dallas was his best run with Florida a close second. By the time he got to Crockett, he really lost something.

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

What’s the general opinion on Jimmy Garvin? I always thought he sucked, but the majority of my opinion on him is based on his run as a WCW Freebird with Hayes which was awful.

The problem with Garvin is one of perception as you point out. Just as with Pedro Morales, the lasting impression that most fans have is of an over-the-hill, disinterested Garvin as a Freebird.  I always thought he was mis-cast as a heel, he did everything correctly, but just seemed to be too naturally amiable to be believed as a vicious heel. Cast as a face against heel Flair or when paired with Ronnie Garvin, he was excellent. So what you have is a guy that started relatively late, was misused a goodly portion of his career, and got the most of his national exposure when he was winding it down. There's a lot of great stuff out there and it's well-worth your time to look for it.

Per Meltzer - the Brock Lesnar/Finn Balor Royal Rumble match is off because Vince doesn't think Balor is over enough.

But I thought getting smashed by Kane was a good thing!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the Brock Lesnar/Finn Balor Royal Rumble match is off because Vince doesn't think Balor is over enough.

Vince would have to genuinely be senile to say that the day after Balor and Nak got a huge reaction for a basic wrestling stand off.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

First I've heard about this. I'd say to Vince, Balor is over enough because he was stuck in the never ending feud with Bray Wyatt. I was watching Finn Balor the other day and I said to my Dad, be interesting to see how he and Brock work the size/weight difference . If the match is back on,  Finn be the lightest person Brock's wrestled since returning in 2012, yes?

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There aren't a ton of other good choices.

Kane? Angle? Miz?

Enzo?

Maybe they're gonna run Joe back? We were all told Brock liked working with him, right? And he did just choke Finn out.

This is still stupid, if true. Even if you don't think Finn's over enough--I'd disagree--you can, y'know, try to do something about it? With booking? And stuff? That's how this is supposed to work.

Go politic for your boy, Hunter.

I'm not surprised Vince cancelled the match.  I'm surprised Balor vs Brock ever made it past the pitch stage.   Maybe Vince had never seen Balor until now?  "He's not over enough for Brock" is obviously code for GOD DAMMIT PAL MY DICK DOESN'T EVEN STIR A LITTLE UNLESS THE GUY IS OVER 6'2" 245

• Haha 2

Balor getting beat by Brock doesn't really do him any good, anyway. He'd just get F5'd back to the midcard the way guys like Dean and Seth did.

And yeah, I know Brock beat AJ but Styles is basically bullet proof in booking.

The bigger issue is why Balor is even on Raw. 

Not sure were to post this, but I just finished watching Starrcade '86 last night...

The first 7-8 matches were pretty forgettable. I believe I mentioned this before; I don't know the background, but Héctor Guerrero and Baron von Raschke vs. Shaska Whatley and the Barbarian? It just seems like someone came across these 4 guys in the locker room and told them to gear up and do whatever they wanted for 10 minutes.

Big Bubba vs. Ronnie Garvin, Tully Blanchard vs. Dusty Rhodes, the Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. the Minnesota Wrecking Crew and Ric Flair vs. Nikita Koloff were pretty good.

The only knock I have on Bubba vs. Garvin was that first shot with the racket from Cornette which looked exceedingly weak.

JJ putting the protective head gear and then whipping on vaseline on Tully to avoid him bleeding easily and Hebner getting in his face for it was fantastic.

That blade job by Ricky Morton was by far the best one on the entire show. Arn's drunken punches are fantastic too.

Flair vs. Nikita was far from a classic world title match, but it was still quite entertaining despite the flat finish.

Had high hopes for the scaffold match, but that was underwhelming and understandably so with such a limited stipulation.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Vince gets more erratic by the week and nobody has the balls to tell him his booking is hot garbage.  At this rate, he'll be running the company from an assisted living facility and nobody will tell him they're unable to "steal that Hogan kid from Verne."

It is mostly Steph and HHH which explains why Vince continually put others over and got beat up during the Attitude Era and Steph and HHH put nobody over in this era and never get the short end of the stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Not sure were to post this, but I just finished watching Starrcade '86 last night...

The first 7-8 matches were pretty forgettable. I believe I mentioned this before; I don't know the background, but Héctor Guerrero and Baron von Raschke vs. Shaska Whatley and the Barbarian? It just seems like someone came across these 4 guys in the locker room and told them to gear up and do whatever they wanted for 10 minutes.

The only knock I have on Bubba vs. Garvin was that first shot with the racket from Cornette which looked exceedingly weak.

Baron had been in the awful Paul Jones' Army stable with Whatley and Barbarian, and had been turned against on a random TV show.

Edit: Baron's face turn:

Cornette said something on a random podcast that he slipped/wiped-out on a spilled drink as he was trying to do the racket shot, so it looks bad and also hurt his knee, which he then proceeded to destroy later on when falling off the scaffold.