DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Watching Wrestling with Shadows and the Bret Hart USA vs Canada stuff is still really good stuff to watch.  Listening to Bret talking about how Canada is better than the US on health care, gun control, and handling racism would be extremely interesting to try today. 

Well they say the best heels are the ones who tell the truth. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Hagan said:

I teach college and can confirm to you that like 18-21 have a BREATHTAKING lack of pop culture awareness. Forget about stuff from twenty years ago, they barely know shit now. It's all Youtube videos and binge watching Netflix. I mentioned the West Wing today and they had no clue. I think they barely know Letterman at this point, honestly. 

god you guys are so old :P who cares if someone younger than you doesn’t know about things that you enjoyed when you were their age? Does it really matter that much? Their lives aren’t going to change if they watch an episode of Letterman, West Wing, Carson’s Tonight Show, etc. Besides that, since when was pop cultural awareness something that was meaningful?

I’d hate to see the reaction for some of you guys if you met a millennial wrestling fan that didn’t know who Haku was. Your brains would likely collectively explode... but not before telling them how tough he is! ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Casey said:

god you guys are so old :P who cares if someone younger than you doesn’t know about things that you enjoyed when you were their age? Does it really matter that much? Their lives aren’t going to change if they watch an episode of Letterman, West Wing, Carson’s Tonight Show, etc. Besides that, since when was pop cultural awareness something that was meaningful?

I’d hate to see the reaction for some of you guys if you met a millennial wrestling fan that didn’t know who Haku was. Your brains would likely collectively explode... but not before telling them how tough he is! ;) 

You guys went full Cornette.  You never go full Cornette.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Let's see how good you feel in 20 years when the people you work with don't know what the fuck an iCarley is.  

And get off our lawns.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sabremike said:

Well his last show was 25 years ago so it wouldn't shock me that some people who were born after that might not recognize him.

18 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Cultural references to media personalities fade fast.  I guarantee anyone under 21 more likely than not probably doesn't know who he is.  And why would they?  He's from a time and place that is virtually foreign to today's generations.

Yeah, this.  How many of us, in our teens, knew who Jack Parr was?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Actually, the proper protocol in that situation is to bite the kid's nose off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Speaking of Dave... weird that Rusev replied to a random Tweet from May. 

It was relevant because Meltzer's "Owens vs. Zayn was the biggest draw" tweet was being used by some people to make an argument that Owens and Zayn were in the right to not feed for New Day.  (Which supposedly is what got them sent home from the Euro tour.)

• Like 1

I'm more aware of modern pop culture in a general sense due to my memory than anything, but I don't absorb any of it like I did when I was younger, but I do know who some people and shows and musical acts are when asked about it by cousins 1/3 my age and such. It doesn't go very far, but I at least know it. Same with some older pop culture stuff. Just absorbed the knowledge through references and looking stuff up over time. At least I don't think FULL HOUSE IS THE PEAK OF MY GENERATION, OH MY GOD, IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH THAT, WHERE WERE YOU!? This is a thing.