DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It'd be awfully foolish of them to work internet fans, but with conflicting reports it's hard to say what's going on.  Could be real, could be storyline, but I think it's wise for people to calm down and not wildly speculate about where they go from here.

Frankly, this keeps me from saying it's a work. I don't see Vince sending two stars home from an international tour for an angle. WWE takes those tours too seriously to send talent home unless absolutely necessary.

I don't know. We could be getting worked. This could be a legitimate issue. But none of the pieces make enough sense to know for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

PW Insider is saying John Cena vs. Samoa Joe is set for MSG in December. 

Should be on the Network. Save me the MSG costs too much talk. They should just do it. Treat MSG 3 times a year as a loss leader. Have the MSG shows as Network Speciels just for tradition sakes.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

PW Insider is saying John Cena vs. Samoa Joe is set for MSG in December. 

Oh fuck them if this isn't on the network. I've been hoping to see this ever since Joe was signed. Really it feels wasted happening on a house show and not as a feud for one of the big 4 ppvs.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer cracks me up. On the radio show - he followed up a little further with the KO/Sami stuff (but nothing that really wasn't in the board post)

But he was like "Maybe they will be back on Monday. Maybe they will never come back!"

And I am like "Dave you can't just be throwing that shit out there since you know someone will be all DAVE SAYS THEY WERE FIRED!!!

What is all this bullshit about Dave saying that some people have never heard of Johnny Carson.   :blink:

Oh and happy anniversary Montreal screwjob. Somewhere Vince is pissed that that Smackdown isn't on Thursday anymore.   Decided to watch Wresting with Shadows

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

What is all this bullshit about Dave saying that some people have never heard of Johnny Carson.   :blink:

Remember - he does a show with a guy who didn't know who Jesse Owens was

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Oh fuck them if this ins't on the network. I've been hoping to see this ever since Joe was signed. Really it feels wasted happening on a house show and not as a feud for one of the big 4 ppvs.

At least it's at MSG so you know someone will be filming it.

• Like 1

Watching Wrestling with Shadows and the Bret Hart USA vs Canada stuff is still really good stuff to watch.  Listening to Bret talking about how Canada is better than the US on health care, gun control, and handling racism would be extremely interesting to try today.  Loved them showing the US fans who still support Bret because of his values.  Part of the attitude era that isn't really talked about much and probably a lot more of them than we think

And even now Stu Hart looks like a psycho on this.  Forgot about that electric chair gimmick in the house :unsure:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Oh and happy anniversary Montreal screwjob. Somewhere Vince is pissed that that Smackdown isn't on Thursday anymore.   Decided to watch Wresting with Shadows

Well his last show was 25 years ago so it wouldn't shock me that some people who were born after that might not recognize him.

28 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Cultural references to media personalities fade fast.  I guarantee anyone under 21 more likely than not probably doesn't know who he is.  And why would they?  He's from a time and place that is virtually foreign to today's generations.

Hell, I work with a twentysomething now who had never heard of "Office Space."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

That's the Annual Boxing Day show at MSG right? It'll be running head to head with Smackdown on TV 

Yes. Me and my best friend always go to that show and this year will be no different.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

People forget that those two are buddies. He probably doesn't give two shits about Jericho working a New Japan match. 

Vince gets grumpy with guys he's close to all the time--Hogan, Hart, Austin, Michaels... his son... 

34 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Cultural references to media personalities fade fast.  I guarantee anyone under 21 more likely than not probably doesn't know who he is.  And why would they?  He's from a time and place that is virtually foreign to today's generations.

I work with a 36-year-old who never heard of "Office Space" and this company is rife with reasons why she needs to get on that ASAP.

But realizing that one can legally smoke in the time since the movie came out is mildly depressing.  Damn I feel old.

37 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I teach college and can confirm to you that like 18-21 have a BREATHTAKING lack of pop culture awareness. Forget about stuff from twenty years ago, they barely know shit now. It's all Youtube videos and binge watching Netflix. I mentioned the West Wing today and they had no clue. I think they barely know Letterman at this point, honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Remember - he does a show with a guy who didn't know who Jesse Owens was

Alvarez knew Carson and said he watched the Tonight Show as a kid. Dave's wife, on the other hand, didn't know who Carson was.

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

I think Johnny Carson is more well known than Office Space. Most people still know who Johnny Carson is. When you're that famous, you aren't forgotten that quickly. Shit he is still on TV every night. 

Alvarez forgets so many details in his show recaps that he probably knew all about pop culture once and just forgot.

I'm with Hagan on the lack of pop culture knowledge, but I'd add about 5 years to the ages he's talking about and include those as well.

I just asked my 24 year old coworker if he knew who Carson was and he said he's heard the name but doesn't know.

• Like 1