DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Man, bringing up Scott Keith or Vince Russo on this board should be grounds for timeout. 

But speaking of curmudgeonly wrestling personalities, just finished the 6:05 pod on Russell. So wonderful.

Got me to thinking - is there anyone that's better at talking about old wrestling but absolutely awful with current wrestling than Cornette? 

Like, I'd listen to Jim talk about old wrestling for days but the second he starts ranting about indy wrestling I want him thrown into the sun. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1.) Can people just make a pact not to talk about Russo? Let's just not do it.

2.) "Can't put on a headlock" is a dumb argument. Apparently Arn/Tully/JJ scored well with wrestlers and former wrestlers on the WON HOF ballot, so people may be able to lock on a headlock but they as hell can't wrap their head around the idea of criteria. Sometimes things don't transfer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

2.) "Can't put on a headlock" is a dumb argument. Apparently Arn/Tully/JJ scored well with wrestlers and former wrestlers on the WON HOF ballot, so people may be able to lock on a headlock but they as hell can't wrap their head around the idea of criteria. Sometimes things don't transfer. 

Ah yes, the same criticism Lane Storm had for DVDVR.

"You couldn't do this, so you have no right to be critical" automatically marks you as either stupid or intellectually dishonest.  We'd have virtually no critical discourse anywhere if "you must have done this for a living" was a hard prerequisite. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CSC said:

Good lord - if anyone can follow the Starrcade section in the new observer, you are a better person than me. 

That's excessively rambley and incoherent even for Dave standards.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. There's one point where he doubles back to the 80s for the second or third time and there's just no sense to it.  I care way more about 80s wrestling than 2010s wrestling, so it's telling that I just wanted him to get on with it and talk about last week's show.

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Got me to thinking - is there anyone that's better at talking about old wrestling but absolutely awful with current wrestling than Cornette? 

Like, I'd listen to Jim talk about old wrestling for days but the second he starts ranting about indy wrestling I want him thrown into the sun. 

Absolutely. A lot of old school guys fall into this category, but Cornette is the tops no doubt. Also he talks about money constantly. Look, I get it, it was your profession and kayfabe was the best way to convince the marks to spend money, but can't he talk about the actual storytelling art of the business without talking the money side? He just comes off as a jilted carnie con man pissed that everyone figured out his rigged game.

Side note, Brian Last is insufferably annoying.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Ah yes, the same criticism Lane Storm had for DVDVR.

"You couldn't do this, so you have no right to be critical" automatically marks you as either stupid or intellectually dishonest.  We'd have virtually no critical discourse anywhere if "you must have done this for a living" was a hard prerequisite. 

I think it was a misinterpretation of what he wrote. I think he originally meant unless you worked with someone you do not know who contributed what which is true. What the DVDVR guys should have said is the 500 represented who they thought had the best matches in the past year. 

There is a large section of people online in a lot of places who resent the concept that their opinions are not treated as equal to professionals. Professionals and fans are going to have differing outlooks on what is good. When talking to a pro I always preface that it is my opinion as a fan/viewer.