DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

By that logic, the winner of the Rumble always eliminates 29 other people.  Transitive property for the big win.

Am I only one that misread that as Transvestite property?

It's been a long day and I'm tired. Cut me some slack.

• Haha 3

Anyone know whatever happened to Jeff Bowdren? Used to really love him in the Lariat and 1Wrestling but haven't seen anything from him in years. Hope he's OK. Same for Ron Lemieux.

Caveat: Taking what a wrestler says at face value is never a great idea.

In the same Twitter thread that he said he's a millionaire he also said his mother inherited all of his dad's money, and that Cody got none of it.

And the Bucks said a few weeks ago they are going to clear a million dollars this year (no idea if that's each or collectively) and that they have "waterslide" money.

I'm pretty sure the three of them can afford to run it and even if it bombs not go broke.

26 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Anyone know whatever happened to Jeff Bowdren? Used to really love him in the Lariat and 1Wrestling but haven't seen anything from him in years. Hope he's OK. Same for Ron Lemieux.

Jeff shows up on Wrestling Classics from time to time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And the Bucks said a few weeks ago they are going to clear a million dollars this year (no idea if that's each or collectively) and that they have "waterslide" money.

I feel like I did when I heard Pewdiepie was a millionaire. I'll need to see a tax return. 

5 minutes ago, Victator said:

I feel like I did when I heard Pewdiepie was a millionaire. I'll need to see a tax return. 

I dunno, performance money from several feds, merchandise sales through the roof, personal appearance fees, yeah, I can see it.

3 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

It’s still the Sears Centre. Last I heard, it was super expensive to run the facility because part of the contract requires their own union subcontractors (lighting, security, etc) to work each event.  

It's also WAY out of town. Like Nassau Coliseum way out of town. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

San Fran be on the radar due to Comic Con?

Prob not, since Comic-Con is in San Diego.  ;)

I've always thought someone should run a lucha show during SDCC. That was always one of my "if I won the lottery" ideas. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Prob not, since Comic-Con is in San Diego.  ;)

I've always thought someone should run a lucha show during SDCC. That was always one of my "if I won the lottery" ideas. 

Masked Republic actually did that back in 2012. They had Konnan, LA Park and a few other name guys... think it was in National City.

Bix wrote about the Cody/Young Bucks indy show for Deadspin

It has quotes from Cody, including him acknowledging that they will need to have some sort of lucha presence to hit their goal

Lucha libre cards promoted in Spanish-language media can also draw in the low to mid four figure range, and have historically been the most consistently drawing U.S. indie shows. It’s not always easy to track them, though, as they’re often promoted entirely through traditional local media, escaping the attention of both English-speaking locals and even those who report on that scene online. “As we formulate a big four matches, there should definitely be a lucha presence involved,” Rhodes told Deadspin, though he added that he doesn’t want the show to be “about just bringing in random names” because “that would dilute my initial bet with Dave.” Depending on where the Rhodes/Bucks show is held, some kind of lucha presence, even if it’s just Mysterio, might be necessary to maximize and broaden the demographic appeal. But while Mysterio is a proven draw, he also charges probably the highest per-match rate of any independent wrestler, though lots of indie wrestlers will give big discounts to friends and fellow performers.

The original bet or whatever it was was specifically "can ROH draw over 10,000?"  

"ROH sorta kinda presents the Bullet Club Supershow featuring 80% non ROH talent" is cheating.  It's like saying "James Ellsworth will never main event," then being proven "wrong" when Ellsworth works a six man teaming with Rock and Stone Cold against Jesus and Batman.

3 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Gonna love when Dave Wrestlemania 3s Cody's attendance claims.

"Well, actually they claimed 10, 202 but I heard from the arena that it was 7898 paid."

Holy shit, that's going to be amazing, especially with the contrarian "Dave Meltzer is full of shit" thing that younger folks are into nowadays.

Also, I'm loving the use of Wrestlemania 3 as a verb.

• Like 3

But yeah, looks like the question is whether an NJPW/ROH/CMLL supershow can draw 10,000. 

One thought is that they would need to have a show with angles and rivalries. I'm not sure a dream match card or the BC variety hour has enough pull. 

As noted, a decent portion of the crowd will show up because it's the hip event or because they want to stick it to Vince or some shit. 

Obviously, Bryan Danielson is the wildcard. His comeback match against Omega or Cody would move a significant amount of tickets (especially against Omega). 

Jericho is another wildcard. You know if this gains steam he'd want to be there. That would be two mainline WWE main eventers on top.   

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

But yeah, looks like the question is whether an NJPW/ROH/CMLL supershow can draw 10,000. 

One thought is that they would need to have a show with angles and rivalries. I'm not sure a dream match card or the BC variety hour has enough pull. 

As noted, a decent portion of the crowd will show up because it's the hip event or because they want to stick it to Vince or some shit. 

Obviously, Bryan Danielson is the wildcard. His comeback match against Omega or Cody would move a significant amount of tickets (especially against Omega). 

Jericho is another wildcard. You know if this gains steam he'd want to be there. That would be two mainline WWE main eventers on top.   

If Bryan Danielson's on the card, doesn't that negate Cody's bet since Daniel Bryan Danielson is a wayyy bigger star than Cody/BC and seeing the return of the American Dragon to the ring would be the big draw?

Danielson or not, the bet is out already. But it doesn't appear they really have any concern over the parameters of the bet--and why should they, if there are no stakes to it at all? That is, Dave isn't giving them anything if they succeed, and they don't owe him anything if they fail. The bet was an impetus and might make an interesting story in a few years, but the goal is to capitalize on their gimmick's peak popularity and make a lot of money. (And that's going to happen, I have to think.)

• Like 2

http://deadline.com/2017/11/wwe-studios-expands-tv-digital-michael-luisi-1202216228/

WWE studios is going start doing TV shows and stuff for digital media - not just movies

The pro wrestling titan’s motion picture production arm is expanding into scripted, non-scripted, family and animated television and digital content.

Said WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon: “Given the size of our fan base and their appetite for WWE programming well beyond our core in-ring shows, this is the ideal time to further establish the WWE brand with new genres across platforms. WWE Studios is open for business with this new TV and digital initiative.”

18 hours ago, sabremike said:

Jeff is on Facebook, and he's doing podcasts these days. Still alive and kicking. :)

• Like 1