DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Let me break it down this way. If the answer is still yes, then... well, whatever, I still won't get it but at least I can end this.

Here's the card: 

Roode/Ziggler

The Bludgeon Brothers, Mike Kanellis, The Colóns, Rusev/Breezango, Sin Cara, The Ascension, Tye Dillinger

Naomi/Tamina

Dustin Rhodes/Dash Wilder

Nakamura/Corbin

Usos/New Day/Gable & Benjamin/Owens & Zayn

Charlotte/Natalya

Styles/Mahal

Does that warrant being a Network special? No. Every one of those matches could (and might) happen on any given Smackdown through the year, except for Dustin being his old WCW persona.

But, add the name Starrcade, 10-15 minutes tops of appearances from people like Flair, Steamboat, RnR Express and Arn Anderson... and suddenly you have a show worthy of being a Network special? What's wrong with just seeing this in clip form on YouTube/Twitter? If I'm wrong, correct me, but it seems like people only want to see the older talent, so the clips being posted already are satisfying that itch, no?

That's what I don't understand, in a nutshell. 

You had two nostalgia choices in the Triad last night- Starcade or Wrestlecade, hit the other show.   Cornette announced his retirement (He'll probably retire as many times as Terry Funk), Got to see Lawler use an iron claw, a fun but weird Dan Severn/Josh Woods match that was shat on unfairly for no reason, and Ivelisse and Taya really brought the hate well.

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Let me break it down this way. If the answer is still yes, then... well, whatever, I still won't get it but at least I can end this.

Here's the card: 

Does that warrant being a Network special? No. Every one of those matches could (and might) happen on any given Smackdown through the year, except for Dustin being his old WCW persona.

But, add the name Starrcade, 10-15 minutes tops of appearances from people like Flair, Steamboat, RnR Express and Arn Anderson... and suddenly you have a show worthy of being a Network special? What's wrong with just seeing this in clip form on YouTube/Twitter? If I'm wrong, correct me, but it seems like people only want to see the older talent, so the clips being posted already are satisfying that itch, no?

That's what I don't understand, in a nutshell. 

Because it was the most hyped and promoted house show since the first Road Block? Because using the name of the ppv makes it feel like it should be a ppv? Because seeing it live is more fun than YouTube after the fact? 

A better question is why are you so upset that people wanted to see it? Hell, isn't promoting a show people want to see the whole point of wrestling booking?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure that the fault lies in the explanations here - @Casey doesn't care about the card, so that must mean no one else possibly could. Guess which other shows have matches that could occur on any random SmackDown throughout the year? That's right - every single PPV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I mean, people are sitting at home on a Saturday night and they want to watch some wrestling that is a little different/nostalgic? And I do know that #Starrcade was trending big time on Twitter all night and extensively covered by ESPN and anybody can get back to me the next time that happens for a freaking house show. So clearly there was something to it outside this message board. 

• Like 3

I look at the late 90s writers as my introduction to wrestling criticism. Before then I knew what I did and didn't like but never put any extra thought into it. A lot of the stuff doesn't hold up, but what wrestling writer really does from that era? Criticism is always evolving. What I find amusing is how in many ways everything comes full circle. How people went from loving a Hogan or a Goldberg or a Cena to spending a decade reviling them to turning the corner and learning to appreciate them all over again. In a lot of ways finding themselves exactly where they started.

• Like 1

I'd get the "okay card but not Network special" thing... except they aired Brock vs Big Show at a house show and threw it up on the Network.

I mean if they can do that, I think AJ vs Jinder in a cage and Dustin vs Dash can air on a Saturday night. That's two odd hours of content they could've provided.

I'm still kind of amazed he's so agile at his age after all the weight and drug issues and what-not he's had. I don't seem to recall any major injuries of note though, so that probably helps. Papa would be proud. Cody would throw up the Wolfpac sign and turn on him.

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

They had TV cameras there for something.

I might be misremembering, but I think they tape every house show. The idea is to have footage available for documentaries on the network, DVDs, and the social media clips we’re seeing.

6 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I might be misremembering, but I think they tape every house show. The idea is to have footage available for documentaries on the network, DVDs, and the social media clips we’re seeing.

Someone on another board I go to mentioned that it is also done for insurance purposes.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Someone on another board I go to mentioned that it is also done for insurance purposes.

Don't be surprised if a match or two ends up on a DVD release in the future

I was asked to help solve this NWA mystery -- most likely a match from World Championship Wrestling. Does any of this ring a bell to anyone immediately. Hard to go by due to this person's hazy memory, but I've been scanning matches for missile dropkicks. Not sure what I'm looking for, thinking he could also be talking about Bobby Eaton as he couldn't even recall Jim Cornette's name...

Looks like it. I've been named in the thread and have already gotten three emails regarding it. Don't they know I focus on the Turner era of WCW!!?!?

Figured someone here would be better suited for it, if it is an actual match. Good chance he could be remembering incorrectly.

I didn't think I could love Dave Meltzer any more than I already do, but then he calls noted waste of human flesh Ryan Satin an asshole on Twitter and I love him even more.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know if Meng showing up would wear out it's welcome BECAUSE IT NEVER FUCKING HAPPENS..

It absolutely does happen...in New Japan. Now he's got 3 kids on the roster there.

Yo, Jim Carrey pretending to be Andy Kaufman on the set of Man in the Moon and trolling Jerry Lawler is LIFE. I can't tell who is working whom anymore at one point. 

This Netflix doc about Carrey on the set of Man on the Moon is great, but that stuff is especially a treat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1