DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It was actually Keith reviewing a Schneider comp that helped me discover this site in the first place, so that's at least one positive thing his writing did for me.

I think when you first get on line, and there's this guy who has basically reviewed every big three PPV, and other stuff besides, he does end up being your go-to for finding out about shows you've not got round to watching. Even at the time, I disagreed with his opinion on wrestlers (he was always down on Regal, calling every match a style clash, and even early on I knew Regal was terrific), but he was a useful resource

49 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

Got online in eArly 97. Discovered RSPW around that time. Got all my news from sabu242.

bobholly138sabu242...? These all sound like bad license plates.

I've been around this place for about 15 or so years when it was peaking in the green and yellow font. I think my favorite memory of this place was the famous Teddy Hart thread from his failed attempt a promoting an event with Misawa and Ogawa where they got the graphics wrong.

Strangely enough I don't know who Scott Keith is or at least I don't remember him which seems like a beneficial thing.

As a small part of the 90s wrestling blog glut, waiting for someone to mention rick and mike and CRZ.

The only columns I remember doing for OO were:

A march madness tournament using tnm7

A parody of Citizen Kane using the McMahons

Referring to Russo as Copernicus.

What a dope I was. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As a small part of the 90s wrestling blog glut, waiting for someone to mention rick and mike and CRZ.

Actually read all three until Mike apparently lost his smile and Rick started referring to himself as "The Rick". CRZ wasn't a great writer, but  really nice guy who deserved far better than RSPW. What a cesspool... It remains a personal regret that Gancarski, Snowden and I didn't successfully burn the place to the ground and salt the fucking earth around it. (We came close, but the regulars there seem to have done it all on their own. When Chad Bryant is your most lucid regular poster, it's time to just pull the plug.)

One thing this conversation has made abundantly clear, I've been doing this a long-ass time...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Snowden? Is that the MMA Encyclopedia dude? lmao that guy is the worse.

Yes, yes it is. More years ago than would be kind to me to enumerate, he, Tony Gancarski and I terrorized RSPW and other sites as "The Workrate Cru" mocking the markish and mawkish at every turn. SNowden got way into MMA early on and Ganc became an Ann Coulter fanboy. I'm still here, older, maybe a bit wiser, and still talking about rasslin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think it's interesting to look at how the DVDVR guys (DEAN, Phil S, Phil R, Pete specifically) ended up diverging, but that's another story (and a little close to home).

It always seemed like the first moment that DVDVR really diverged was 2006 when DVDVR were really early Mark Henry adopters. That was not just early on "getting into Mark Henry before he became known as being awesome", but more specifically the first time any boards really went all in on one of the "hosses", the group of wrestlers that was anathema to any IWC fan for most of the early 2000s due to that IWC influence.

And now, in this time hosses have become some of the best thing about wrestling to the point a lot of people would be over the moon if WWE's next tournament miniseries was a hoss tournament, so it's clear DVDVR won.

• Like 1

I had an email conversation with Scott Keith once. I asked him what the Gordon Solie quote was about the figure four leglock attacking multiple parts of the body. He responded with the exact quote, obviously, about it targeting seven different points on the lower anatomy or whatever. So I asked him how it was in any way possible to apply a Figure Four to the 'wrong leg' when it clearly affects both legs. And I'm still waiting to hear back from him on that.

I've been on this board since the early 2000s, too.

I think a lot of the mentality of this board changed after the spate of wrestler deaths in the 2000s. There definitely seemed to be a coalescing around safer, slower-paced WWE-style being the best version of pro wrestling. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I miss DEAN's daughter drawing comics. Don't make me feel old and say she is an adult now please.

I can't remember which daughter drew them without looking but if it was his eldest... yeah... she is in college now

18 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I used to check out micasa, online onslaught, puroresupower and herb kunze for my wrestling info back in the day. And then found this place (in the green/yellow version) and thesmartmarks.com while it was around. 

Thesmartmarks, was like a Kurt Angle fanboy site. Just Terrible.

I know their was some drama behind it’s closing but wth actually happened to czwfans board? 

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember what other news sites/message boards I frequented regularly and I'm drawing a blank.  I've been on here for.... years? I probably found DVD by the mid-2000's, but I honestly have no idea how long it's been.  Before DVDVR, I got almost all my news from Meltzer.  Other than that, the only two boards I can remember using regularly was Stu's Strong Style Symphony/Puroresufans site and a stint at Kayfabe Memories after most of the traffic had died off.