DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

49 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

So, let's say they do "co-brand" MitB next year. Will that mean FOUR MitB matches on the show? One for each men's and one for each women's titles? Or will they actually be co-branded MitB matches with 4 RAW guys/gals and 4 SD guys/gals in the same match?

Also, with the new women being called up, that brings our total women on the main roster to 21. Time for a women's Royal Rumble match? 

I figured that they have to be mixed brand MITB matches because yeah - 4 matches is crazy

It's either that or one brand's men a match and the other brand's women get the other match

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think most of us said that she could have drawn as a touring act in NXT for years, maybe, but that she'd die of overexposure and them not being and good at booking babyfaces  in he 10s at the very least on the main roster.

I was not one of those people, but at least I got to watch Lawler/Bock out of it. 

Finally got back into the Wrestling Gold set:

Spoiler

- Hadn't seen the famous "first table piledriver ever" match between Rock'n'Rolls and Savage/Poffo in awhile but wow, all four were moving a zillion miles an hour. And they had to have precut that table, there's no way I can see the two of them going through it otherwise. Memphis seems to have the wildest matches on here with a great Lawler/Idol vs. Roadies match too where, of course, King has... you fill in the blank

- Speaking of a zillion miles an hour, WHOA, Bockwinkle vs. Fernandez! That was like watching Flair and Steamboat. I hope Naylor has seen that even though it's short because of his love for the Bull.

- Then another one that popped out of nowhere is Fabs vs. the Pretty Young Things (Koko Ware and Norvell Austin). Great speed, great selling, great crowd reactions. 

- Getting to see Sheik vs. Lewin in Detroit was a rare treat though they didn't bleed enough. Getting to see Brody against Bock was... well, Brody sold for a change, at least. 

- Raw young Von Erichs shows how physical they were. Gary Hart was right when he said they would bust you up, they certainly looked wild and barely trained. 

- Commentary is still great. Corny has his well-placed barbs towards horrible people and great territory stories. Meltz is holding his own. 

Now I'm pausing this before I get into Savage/Lawler in the cage because that is going to need my undivided attention. 

• Like 1

I started following Meltzer on Twitter.

it's been one day and I have an urge to set my phone on fire.  This ongoing debate between Dave and some fans over whether Cena is more of a star than Conor MacGregor is tedious.  I tend to side with Dave, but his arguments for MacGregor are kinda flawed and when pressed, he recites the same line over and over.

For comic value, I'm kinda sorry I missed the "WrestleMania is bigger than the Super Bowl" debate ('cause only Americans care about the World Series)

• Like 1

Can we just agree if Vince thinks a guy like Balor is "bland", that maybe the old coot has finally legit started to lose a step? I think it comes back to size. Vince's picture of what a superstar is someone who looks like Roman. But the new generation of wrestlers of guys being Roman's size are going to be few and far between. When Triple H eventually takes over, I don't think he would see a guy like Finn as "bland".

Personally, I don't care if Vince is dead set on giving Roman the world at WM 34. Just don't screw over other guys in the process. I want to see Brock and Finn.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Wait, do people here really think Finn is better than Roman? Really? Here?

I wouldn’t argue for better. But as good? Yeah. I think so. And actually, remarkably similar. 

They’re both more merchandisable brands than fully realized characters at this point, cobbled together from a fondly remembered stint as heel/tweener stable aces. Roman is closer to embracing that now, and he’s benefitting from it, whereas the Balor Club stuff looks dollar store when the Bullet Club—like them or not—are a hotter act than ever. They’re both better promos in that role—confident, astringent shit talkers, who are awful at WWE Babyface 101 monologues. Which is perhaps a little odd, because they both seem pretty easily charming and likeable when not delivering such speeches. But hey, looks help likability—except when they’re used to do the opposite—and the camera clearly loves both of them. Just depends on your type, I guess.

Beyond presentation, they’re both athletic, with explosive offense, but they’re prone to move spamming, struggle a bit with keeping control segments interesting, and contrived in how they deploy their offense. Too often, opponents have to do dumb stuff or end up in positions that strain credulity, so they can hit their spots. But hey, those spots get reactions, and it’s pro wrestling. So, fine. They can both have very good matches with these ingredients, and have. Roman has probably had more—if we’re only counting WWE/NXT—but he’s had a better spot, with more opportunities. Finn didn’t hit quite the same heights with Styles—but then, he didn’t get a program and a series to do so. He also doesn’t have one of the biggest main event duds I’ve ever seen on his resume, which—his fault or not—Roman does. (WM against Triple H, just to be totally clear.)

Preferences are what they are, and there is no way to evaluate this stuff totally objectively, but I don’t see a lot of space between them. And again, having thought about it a bit, I think it’s actually a bit odd—and kinda cool—how many parralels you can quite easily draw.

(FWIW, I like both guys quite a bit.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I started following Meltzer on Twitter.

it's been one day and I have an urge to set my phone on fire.  This ongoing debate between Dave and some fans over whether Cena is more of a star than Conor MacGregor is tedious.  I tend to side with Dave, but his arguments for MacGregor are kinda flawed and when pressed, he recites the same line over and over.

For comic value, I'm kinda sorry I missed the "WrestleMania is bigger than the Super Bowl" debate ('cause only Americans care about the World Series)

Twitter has just decimated Meltzer's reputation. He really can't argue for shit. He just spams some variation of "reading is your friend." If he can't do a troll answer he just ignores it. But he is a guy Ole Anderson just destroyed on Dave's own radio show. With Ole being full of shit, but he was just that much better at arguing his point. 

I unfollowed him because there is nothing of value there. At this point I try to get any news from him confirmed by two other news sources. Which I suppose is good advice in general. 

• Like 1