DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

On the one hand, ignorance of the law is no excuse. On the other hand, hypothetically if a girl tells you she's 18 before you shag her, and then she says she's actually 15 afterwards (especially if it's decades afterwards) are you really guilty of anything besides taking somebody at their word? Not saying that's what happened, but Mass Transit got to work a show by lying about his age. The Wrestling business is very much in the mold of 'anyone who's backstage and not being a total mark about it is probably supposed to be there'. 

That was the crux of the defense Errol Flynn used in his trial. He said the girl had presented herself as in her early twenties. At the Trial they actually had her dressed like a bobby socker. Flynn had pictures of them together and she looked rather mature. He was acquitted with the idea anyone could have mistook her for someone who was 21. 

Its not a legal defense, but can help in the public eye which would be the only issue here since with how much time has passed and with her credibility I don't see it ever going to court even if she pursued it. Which it seems so far like she just wants attention, not a court case. I am not a famous athlete but I assume they aren't great about carding so I am sure there are many sports players and wrestlers that inadvertently had sex with 15 to 17 year olds.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I loved how TNA would do things like run AJ vs Sting and compare it to the the 88 Flair/Sting match with Sting now being in the veteran role and it being a chance for AJ to establish himself like Sting did. Except AJ was already their defending world champion.

Like he must have had ten different "he just established himself as a top guy" moments in TNA.

Like when Hogan came in and referred to him as a young up and comer...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

After his work with RAIN I just can't fathom Mick Foley having committed statutory rape. Some of what she is saying is very likely true but I just can't believe that part. 

Would it be that surprising?  He's a little pervy.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

The same Mick Foley that spent most of a book lusting over Melina, and even implemented her into an angle where it made absolutely no sense, just because he wanted to get close to her?

16 hours ago, Victator said:

That was the crux of the defense Errol Flynn used in his trial. He said the girl had presented herself as in her early twenties. At the Trial they actually had her dressed like a bobby socker. Flynn had pictures of them together and she looked rather mature. He was acquitted with the idea anyone could have mistook her for someone who was 21. 

Real quick, the Errol Flynn episode of the Dollop podcast from a month ago was really hilarious. 

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Devil's advocate: person donates to charity/cause as overcompensation for something that happened in their past, either as victim or perp. 

Ockham's Razor for me here is just him being a creep/wanting to get close to Tori Amos in the same line as the Melina argument above, and that he's also his own biggest fan. Can't drop on social media how much he donated/his latest charitable act enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

You have to assume that much like Rock’n’roll groupies the “ring rats” element to territorial wrestling is a bottomless Pandora’s Box, right?

More or less. When I heard about the story I went down a Angel Amoroso rabbit hole . She was in an adult world at a very young age. Doing apartment wrestling in lingerie while just a kid. Flashing the ecw crowd in a match at 18. Not that it's a defense but she did look old for her age and why in the world would some 14 year old be on the road. Don't know if the allegations against Foley are true but it's hard to look at the facts and not conclude that she was used and abused by the boys. What a sad sad tale.

Sometime in the near future, a congressional intern is going to be reading the archive of the DVDVR sleaze thread. 

"The chair calls Mr Morton,  Mr Gibson and Mr Valiant to the microphone."

"Mr Valiant..."

"Call me the Boogie Woogie Man, your honor..." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Devil's advocate: person donates to charity/cause as overcompensation for something that happened in their past, either as victim or perp. 

In defense, we know for a fact- because Foley's said it- that Foley's reason for going so hard for RAINN.

He's got selfish reasons for his RAINN work- but he actually admits flat-out his selfish reasons (namely that "He supports RAINN so much because Foley really, really wanted to be friends with Tori Amos." 

EDIT: Already said, but yeah- Foley's not likely doing it for the overcompensating.

Was there ever an "official" explaining of the recent WWE mumps/meningitis/lumbago/plague  event? The rumors started with Bo, and then Bray - but Reigns was the one out the longest? Health records are (and should be) private, but what actually happened? A minor point of curiosity to be sure, but watching Survivor Series I realized that the time off has done wonders for the audience's positive reaction to RR and his return to the Shield; overall it appears that the outbreak improved a PPV and boosted the iffy popularity of the most pushed performer while no one got severely diseased. I am a paranoid, but it appears to have been a positive event overall for WWE but certainly too convenient to have been orchestrated...

- RAF

2 hours ago, Victator said:

What is that? My late mother loved Flynn, so I read a lot of bios on him. He was an interesting character. 

The Dollop is a very funny American history podcast, but they were doing a live recording in Australia and so the topic was Errol Flynn.

Basically, Errol Flynn was gigantic scumbag who carried multiple, probably 5 to 10, STDs and passed them along to 100s of women. As a child he murdered defenseless animals, like literally drowning cats, he was a drunk, was friends with a Nazi, etc.

He was an interesting character alright.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Dollop is a very funny American history podcast, but they were doing a live recording in Australia and so the topic was Errol Flynn.

Basically, Errol Flynn was gigantic scumbag who carried multiple, probably 5 to 10, STDs and passed them along to 100s of women. As a child he murdered defenseless animals, like literally drowning cats, he was a drunk, was friends with a Nazi, etc.

He was an interesting character alright.

Some of that stuff came from a discredited book Charles Higam. 

The Nazi shit is definitely made up. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Higham_(biographer)#Errol_Flynn_controversy

What’s the general opinion on Jimmy Garvin? I always thought he sucked, but the majority of my opinion on him is based on his run as a WCW Freebird with Hayes which was awful.

I am currently watching Starrcade 86 and saw his match with Brad Armstrong and it was awful imo. He did get a ton of heat after the time limit expired, so I’ll give him that.

Also Héctor Guerrero and Baron von Raschke vs. Shaska Whatley and the Barbarian? Those are some bizarre pairings.