DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Grabbed the Weekly Puroresu wrestler guide issue yesterday for the first time in who knows how many years. I love that the WWE actually did a photo shoot of their talent specifically for the magazine... smart bit of business on their part. I also like that it's full color and that they include the gaijin in the guide now... it was almost always native-only except for guys like Taiyo Kea. 

The freelance section includes guys like Mitsuo Momota, Gran Hamada and Masahiro Chono. Are they actually working seedy little indies somewhere, or is it lip service and I don't get the point of that section? 

Kudos to James Ellsworth- he made the guide 2 years in a row. He needs to send Braun Stromam a nice fruit basket every holiday for the rest of his life. 

Hamada wrestled this year in Dotonbori Pro which is that offshoot fed that is basically Osaka Pro after Osaka Pro died

Momota wrestled two matches THIS week (One in Freedoms and one in Tokyo Gurentai)

AJ Styles seems like the new Bret Hart. The company runs back to him whenever a champion fails. Which really goes all the way back to his time in TNA. No matter if you dress him like a little prince or a turkey, if you need a credible champion he is your guy. 

I loved how TNA would do things like run AJ vs Sting and compare it to the the 88 Flair/Sting match with Sting now being in the veteran role and it being a chance for AJ to establish himself like Sting did. Except AJ was already their defending world champion.

Like he must have had ten different "he just established himself as a top guy" moments in TNA.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Casey said:

She was a manager on early 90s ECW shows.

Is that what they call it?

Not to make light of this at all, as where there's smoke, as we've seen, there's often some fire. However, introducing yourself as  a "wrestling groupie" or "ringrat" is probably not the best way to establish sympathetic credibility to a mainstream audience.

I dunno. I didn't stop watching movies after Weinstein or Netflix after Spacey. I might say "fuck Mick Foley", which is something I hoped I would never have to do. But if they're guilty, drag 'em. It's the only way things will get better.

• Like 3

After his work with RAIN I just can't fathom Mick Foley having committed statutory rape. Some of what she is saying is very likely true but I just can't believe that part. 

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

If this is legit, how many of you feel like this being another "yeah, fuck this business" moment?

How many were surprised this hasn’t already happened. When you beat wrestling to the punch in the sleaze department that’s the shocker. 

24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

After his work with RAIN I just can't fathom Mick Foley having committed statutory rape. Some of what she is saying is very likely true but I just can't believe that part. 

Very naive. Wait for the facts. I’m sure a guy like Mick, that at least one guy(the king of sleaze Vince) thought looked like a hobo for a long time was above something like this. 

46 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Isn't this how they get you, though? The public face which people share often runs counter to the shit they also do when no one is looking. I wouldn't be surprised if Mick Foley did some vile shit to an underage girl because I'm never surprised when anyone does some vile shit that they think that they can get away with. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Isn't this how they get you, though? The public face which people share often runs counter to the shit they also do when no one is looking. I wouldn't be surprised if Mick Foley did some vile shit to an underage girl because I'm never surprised when anyone does some vile shit that they think that they can get away with. 

That's certainly happened before but it just seems like such a cynical view of the world to have (and yes, I know we are talking about Wrestling here).

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

That's certainly happened before but it just seems like such a cynical view of the world to have (and yes, I know we are talking about Wrestling here).

I suppose that it's cynical, but when I say it, I'm not trying to represent some sort of affected cynical persona. It's just a realistic way to look at things. Most of the guys (like nine out of ten according to a WaPo article I read, though I don't have the link right now) who get accused actually did whatever shit they were accused of when it comes to rape/sexual assault. 

Yeah, I hope Foley's in the ten percent of men being falsely accused, but the numbers aren't cynical. They're just numbers. 

To quote noted modern sociologists Run DMC: It's like that, and that's the way it is. 

On the one hand, ignorance of the law is no excuse. On the other hand, hypothetically if a girl tells you she's 18 before you shag her, and then she says she's actually 15 afterwards (especially if it's decades afterwards) are you really guilty of anything besides taking somebody at their word? Not saying that's what happened, but Mass Transit got to work a show by lying about his age. The Wrestling business is very much in the mold of 'anyone who's backstage and not being a total mark about it is probably supposed to be there'. 

17 hours ago, Omega said:

She also claims she was abused by Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Dave Meltzer, Stan Lane, Bobby Eaton Bobby Fulton, Mike Awesome, Road Dogg Jesse James, Eddie Gilbert, Brian Pillman, Mike Enos, Ultimate Warrior, Brutus beefcake, Marty Jannetty, Sid, Arn Anderson Tully Blanchard & Ric Flair

The list also includes "von erich's"