DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It is a little bit of a dick move to release him right before one of their Big 4 shows - which in theory he might have been able to get a little more money from.

But this is also the WWE we are talking about

I just find it really weird, Carmella and Ellsworth were great together and I can't see why you'd break them up.

He's gonna be just fine as long as he's smart, but doesn't seem to be a smart move from WWE in all sorts of ways.

If Jericho is smart, he books him for that cruise gimmck right away.

I don't understand why they never plan these ahead enough to give the guy a nice storyline exit given how likely it is he will be back for a short run at some point...like everyone is....again and again. Let him find his dignity, stand up to Carmella, have her get someone to beat him up, have him take the beating but stand up for himself, gather himself up and walk out with some dignity so you have something like a complete story and something you can replay when he inevitably returns for a short run or a backstage sketch in a year.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, България завинаги said:

I just find it really weird, Carmella and Ellsworth were great together and I can't see why you'd break them up.

He's gonna be just fine as long as he's smart, but doesn't seem to be a smart move from WWE in all sorts of ways.

If Jericho is smart, he books him for that cruise gimmck right away.

They broke up Cass and Enzo who were one of their biggest merch sellers.  The average age of everyone in the Main Event of Survivor Series is over 40 at a time when they need new stars.

I guess they figured there was nothing left to emasculate since he got beat up by all of the women.  

He should do fairly well on the indy circuit.  The WWE is not the be all/end all that it once was.  You look at guys like Kenny Omega, Cody, Young Bucks, etc.  They were either on the main roster or within WWE developmental at some point and were released because the WWE decided they could not get over.  I was listening to a Meltzer rant on Youtube about this.  For whatever reason, they decide that they do not fit the mold.  So they go off and become successful while the WWE keeps trying to push the mold on their audience.  Great 3 minute rant that completely changed my thinking on NXT and WWE.  If he plays his cards right, he can do well.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Before the WWE he was probably working shows in Hagerstown Maryland for $100 a night.  Now he will be getting at least 5 times that all the country in autograph signings alone.  So I would say he did well for himself.

He actually owns a fed in Maryland. He will do A-OK for himself and he lived a dream that everyone would have said was impossible two years ago

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

You look at guys like Kenny Omega, Cody, Young Bucks, etc.  They were either on the main roster or within WWE developmental at some point and were released because the WWE decided they could not get over.

Kenny quit Deep South because of the shitty working conditions and to go to Japan. Cody asked for his release after nearly 9 years on the main roster and the Bucks have never worked for WWE.

The best part is, Ellsworth got signed by WWE because #nochin  was trending number one in September 2016, and they assumed it was for him. BUT it actually was trending because of some 'drama' between two youtubers* and had nothing at all to do with Wrestling.

* IdubbzzTV and leafyishere. Look for Content Cop, if you're interested. It's funny.

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

The best part is, Ellsworth got signed by WWE because #nochin  was trending number one in September 2016, and they assumed it was for him. BUT it actually was trending because of some 'drama' between two youtubers* and had nothing at all to do with Wrestling.

* IdubbzzTV and leafyishere. Look for Content Cop, if you're interested. It's funny.

Thanks, bro! I'm afraid that I'm too old and jaded to be interested in any sort of Youtube drama. I figure if it really merits my attention, your countryman, Grade A Under A will make a vid about it. ;-)

43 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Kenny quit Deep South because of the shitty working conditions and to go to Japan. Cody asked for his release after nearly 9 years on the main roster and the Bucks have never worked for WWE.

Not to be pedantic (but hey - it's the internet) but  Matt did a few jobs on Smackdown back in 2008 and then there was this 

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Ellsworth said on Jericho's podcast that Gillberg is a family friend and he has tagged with him before, so hopefully we get a Gillberg and Ellsworth team on the east coast indies.

According to an episode of Ride Along, Gillberg was actually Ellsworth's school's maintenance man. He saw him wrestle on WWF syndicated TV and asked him why he was working at the school instead of making the big bucks as a wrestler. That's when Gillberg taught him about what a jobber is.

Yeah, Young Bucks were never under WWE contract, probably because they did some of their usual bullshit during their tryout. I guess if you're getting all your talking points from Meltzer the little things don't really matter though.

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Yeah, Young Bucks were never under WWE contract, probably because they did some of their usual bullshit during their tryout. 

The story at the time was, if I remember right, that they didn’t shake Booker T’s hand, which created a little heat between them that has long since been defused. (They claim the tryout itself went well, fwiw, and that they worked both their typical style and a more fundamental match.) Regarding bullshit, I’m not their biggest fan, but the few people I know who’ve worked with/around them have nothing but nice things to say. 

Anyway, Ellsworth for #30 in the rumble, let’s go!

Re: Ellsworth - him losing to Becky Lynch WAS the sendoff.  It was the natural conclusion to a feud they've built for MONTHS, and had nowhere to go after that.  The character had a shelf life and it came.  He got more out of that than pretty much anyone else would have and he should be commended for it - as should WWE, for recognizing they had something special and running as far as they could with it.

• Like 2