DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, iowanole said:

Has no clue who Uti was, so watched his match with Gallows...  Right up there with Flair/Steamboat

Read the first Foley book for some fun stories about Uti when he did a tour of Africa.

Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned anywhere.  Anyway on Friday or Saturday Chris Jericho was trying to promote his cruise and tweeted something like "Hey guys there are going to be a lot of 18-35 year old women in their bikinis".  For a 40 some year old guy who thinks he is in living in the 80's he probably didn't think anything about it.   Well that didn't get the best reaction from twitter especially Ryan Satin.  Which of course brought the usual response to this on twitter.  SNOWFLAKES, PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA, PC CULTURE yada yada yada .    

Yeah this seems pretty tone def to me.  I am sure some women already signed up probably don't like to be promoted that way.  And I am sure if there was a woman who was interesting in this nautical sausage party this isn't helping.   Again I don't think anything will happen.  The idea that you can re-create one of those WCW cruises in 2017 is quite laughable.  but was interesting to see the reactions given the real shit going on now.

The Omega/Jericho news got me thinking about something that's been bugging me since the NJPW shows in Long Beach. 

The IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship was created for Kenny Omega, a Canadian. Of the ten people who have competed for it, either in the Long Beach tournament or in subsequent title challenges, only four have been from the U.S. And now its highest-profile challenger by far will be Chris Jericho, another Canadian.

In light of all this, I really wish they'd called it the IWGP American Heavyweight Championship. That would fix the problem: The initial tournament field was over half North American, and three of four subsequent challengers, including Jericho, are North American.

And it would be better in other ways too. Calling it the American Championship would also bring Mexico within the nominal purview of the title, which fits with the CMLL affiliation. In fact, "American" technically covers all of North, Central, and South America, which makes the title seem more prestigious (I know it's all made, up, but "world" sounds more prestigious than "intercontinental", doesn't it?). And since "American" as a term is still most strongly associated the U.S., it wouldn't interfere with the sense that they're creating a title to accompany an increased focus on the U.S. market. 

Plus the name is more unique: no major promotion has an American title, whereas WWE already has a United States title, with a similar red-white-and-blue color scheme. Having both Intercontinental and United States titles at the height of New Japan's stateside visibility makes them seem like they're ripping off WWE (which they are), at precisely the moment when they should be setting themselves apart.

It's not too late to change it. Omega could, in storyline, demand that the IWGP change the name and create a new belt as befits the stature of the title and its champion. Gedo plz respond.

• Like 1

Speaking of the NJPW US push, they really should try to get a real English language NJPW World app on Android/iOS/Roku/Fire/consoles/etc before Wrestle Kingdom. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned anywhere.  Anyway on Friday or Saturday Chris Jericho was trying to promote his cruise and tweeted something like "Hey guys there are going to be a lot of 18-35 year old women in their bikinis".  For a 40 some year old guy who thinks he is in living in the 80's he probably didn't think anything about it.   Well that didn't get the best reaction from twitter especially Ryan Satin.  Which of course brought the usual response to this on twitter.  SNOWFLAKES, PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA, PC CULTURE yada yada yada .    

Yeah this seems pretty tone def to me.  I am sure some women already signed up probably don't like to be promoted that way.  And I am sure if there was a woman who was interesting in this nautical sausage party this isn't helping.   Again I don't think anything will happen.  The idea that you can re-create one of those WCW cruises in 2017 is quite laughable.  but was interesting to see the reactions given the real shit going on now.

Not excusing Jericho, although I thought the reaction to his tweet was overblown - but excuse me if I don't take Ryan Satin all that seriously about this. Between working at a sleeze company like TMZ, being pissed at Flair's management when he was in the hospital for them not telling him so he could have the scoop on the details, and apparently some old tweets of his that don't paint him as the pillar of feminism that he claims to be... Yeah, not a big fan of Satin the person.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of the NJPW US push, they really should try to get a real English language NJPW World app on Android/iOS/Roku/Fire/consoles/etc before Wrestle Kingdom. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.

100% agree. I just signed up for the first time yesterday and I can't help but wonder how many more people might sign up if they had an actual functioning app. I can't watch anything on my iPad (apprantly it's fine if you have Chromecast). I'll be curious to see how long I keep it once Wrestle Kingdom is over. 

8 hours ago, Critts said:

100% agree. I just signed up for the first time yesterday and I can't help but wonder how many more people might sign up if they had an actual functioning app. I can't watch anything on my iPad (apprantly it's fine if you have Chromecast). I'll be curious to see how long I keep it once Wrestle Kingdom is over. 

You can watch NJPW world on the iPad with the Puffin browser 

• Like 1

12 years since Eddie Guerrero passed away. Time flies huh? I'll be honest I was never much of a fan until the Los Guerreros team with Chavo. From there he seemed to go to another level of charisma and performance leading to that great ascent to heavyweight champion