DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Jerich isn't what he once was but people are basically treating him like he's gonna be present-day Dory Funk JR tripping and falling over himself. 

With the exception of the Ambrose Asylum has Jericho had an actual terrible match in his last run?

5 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Jerich isn't what he once was but people are basically treating him like he's gonna be present-day Dory Funk JR tripping and falling over himself. 

With the exception of the Ambrose Asylum has Jericho had an actual terrible match in his last run?

8q0O6j.gif

Preeeeettty sure Reigns didn't call that spot.

I'm also pretty sure that Jericho is going to Japan to avenge Omega beating him March Madness, so at least he's got the best intentions.

3 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Terrible? No. But underwhelming would probably fit. I think a lot of people are disappointed he doesn't move like he's in his 20s anymore, but let's be honest, he was never exactly the smoothest guy in the ring. It's his character work that makes him fun. Plus I can only imagine the angle he'll be able to bend Omega with the Liontamer.

• Like 1

I just think that given the opponent and the setting, he's much more likely to give into his worst tendencies than his best. If this match was at the SCI or something, and he worked it in a way where he was self-aware and constantly cutting Omega off from doing big athletic things with the sort of dickish heel mannerisms he used in his monotone 09 run and they built to it and built to it and finally paid it off with Omega cutting loose and giving the crowd what it wanted, they could have a legitimately great match. I think it's much more likely Jericho goes for a workrate special and it doesn't work out.

• Like 1

Jericho knows how to layout a match, but he occasionally tries to do spots that don't take into account that he's got lead in his ass. 

I expect the culture in New Japan and the expectations surrounding a big Kenny Omega match to bring out his worst tendencies at least once during that bout. 

Meltzer said that HHH was working the SDL shows the rest of the Europe tour and so because of that they moved New Day to work the Raw shows

I wonder if that means it will be Shield/Angle vs. New Day the rest of the tour

Jericho's second to last match in WWE was against Balor at a house show in Japan, and I recall him working well with Neville (I think on the Beast in the East special). So I'm not too concerned that he'll try to keep pace with a younger, more athletic guy--though yeah, it would be a bit of a disaster if he did. I think there are other physical limitations to worry about, though. When's the last time he went 25+ minutes in a singles match? Because this won't be 12. And Omega's offense isn't exactly comfortable to take. His finishing run features reverse ranas, dragon suplexes, and about a dozen v-triggers (some of which are delivered with pretty reckless velocity).

All that said? It's a match that can succeed without being great. Maybe you could argue it already has. And they'll have plenty of time to lay it out (and even practice, if they want) since Omega isn't doing anything of consequence until then.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said that HHH was working the SDL shows the rest of the Europe tour and so because of that they moved New Day to work the Raw shows

I wonder if that means it will be Shield/Angle vs. New Day the rest of the tour

Oh man, my friend is going to be gutted. We're going to the SDL show in Nottingham on Thursday, and the only acts he was really excited about were Tyler Bate, Becky and the New Day. HHH will not be seen as a worthy substitute

Re: Jericho at WK.

KInda surprised to hear Meltzer say that Jericho had talked to other companies before, but not committed to a match.  I'm really curious what the WWE's view of this is.  I can't imagine Vince gave Jericho his blessing to work for NJPW, but I also can't quite wrap my head around Jericho burning the bridge at this stage in his career.  He's said a few times (including his most recent book) that he'd never work elsewhere.  I feel like there must be some sort of backstage fallout that changed his thinking.  Maybe lack of support for his cruise or just realizing he had a couple things he wanted to do before he retired.

KInda wondering if he's worked his last WWE match.  He recently said he didn't care if he ever worked another match and he turns 47 tomorrow.  Can see Vince holding a grudge for at least a couple years.

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Re: Jericho at WK.

KInda surprised to hear Meltzer say that Jericho had talked to other companies before, but not committed to a match.  I'm really curious what the WWE's view of this is.  I can't imagine Vince gave Jericho his blessing to work for NJPW, but I also can't quite wrap my head around Jericho burning the bridge at this stage in his career.  He's said a few times (including his most recent book) that he'd never work elsewhere.  I feel like there must be some sort of backstage fallout that changed his thinking.  Maybe lack of support for his cruise or just realizing he had a couple things he wanted to do before he retired.

KInda wondering if he's worked his last WWE match.  He recently said he didn't care if he ever worked another match and he turns 47 tomorrow.  Can see Vince holding a grudge for at least a couple years.

Why would Jericho need Vince's blessing?  His contract ran out and he saw an opportunity to work a match in New Japan.  Unless he said otherwise I see little reason for him to burn a bridge because of the cruise issue.  And I think without NXT it led him to put on a better lineup outside of WWE so he wins anyway.

• Like 2

By Mike Johnson on 2017-11-08 10:23:00
PWInsider.com has confirmed that Rockstar Spud will be signing with WWE and will start with the company once all the proper visa paperwork has been completed.  The plan is for Spud to be part of the 205 Live brand.

Spud, the first-ever winner of the company's British reality competition series British Bootcamp, had been used as a wrestler, personality and even ring announcer over the course of his run with the company from 2012 through 2017.  He's an excellent, versatile performer.

The recent photo Dixie Carter put out on her social media with a number of current and former Impact company wrestlers and staff was actually from a farewell dinner for Spud, who we are told is heading back to Great Britain while his visa is finalized.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Why would Jericho need Vince's blessing?  His contract ran out and he saw an opportunity to work a match in New Japan.  Unless he said otherwise I see little reason for him to burn a bridge because of the cruise issue.  And I think without NXT it led him to put on a better lineup outside of WWE so he wins anyway.

He doesn't need Vince's blessing.  He's not under contract to the WWE.  But Jericho has always given the impression he wouldn't work anywhere else but the WWE.  I'm guessing Vince may not have expected him to work a high profile match on "the second biggest show of the year" (Meltzer's words, though I agree).  Meltzer thinks Jericho is (will) politic to become the face of a NJ-USA expansion.  

Honestly, under contract or no, I probably wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of one of my top guys helping selling tickets for a show the scale of Wrestle Kingdom.  And I'm a reasonable human being, not a marginally crazy person who generally seems vindictive and prone to burying his opposition.  Jericho doesn't need Vince's approval unless he wants to work the Rumble or get one last run on Smackdown.

Then again, Jericho did say he didn't care if he wrestled again.   Maybe he thinks he's thru with the WWE.

• Like 2

Just a thought that popped up in my head, Big Show is in the best shape of his life and looks to be leaving the WWE in february and possibly retiring but does anyone think there's any possibility of him signing to New Japan and being a part of the US expansion alongside Jericho? 

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Just a thought that popped up in my head, Big Show is in the best shape of his life and looks to be leaving the WWE in february and possibly retiring but does anyone think there's any possibility of him signing to New Japan and being a part of the US expansion alongside Jericho? 

I know a lot of guys that would lose their shit if he joined Bullet Club or had a whose the better big man feud with Bad Luck Fale.

• Like 1