DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

NJPW also announced a return show in Long Beach on 03-25-2018, which is the Sunday before Wrestlemania. It is going to be held at a bigger venue this time around.

At the Pyramid, which is a beautiful venue.  It's going to look sweet set up for wrestling.

111008%20LBSU%20W%20Vball%2069%20SJG-L.j

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CSC said:

Yea - I don't believe for a second that a one off with New Japan is going to keep Jericho out of working the WrestleMania season.

He's salty bout not getting any WWE support for his cruise gimmick.  Cruise doesn't happen until October 2018.

Full disclosure: My only real exposure to Ibushi is in New Japan over the past year.  But I don't understand why everyone's so insanely high on him.  I think it's like how I always felt about Chris Benoit - he's obviously insanely good in the ring, but he doesn't have that special "it" factor that grabs my attention.  To me, he's just another guy.  So it doesn't bother me that we're "losing" Ibushi-Omega in favor of Omega-Jericho.  Omega-Jericho, as far as attractions, is a far more interesting match to me.

33 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Full disclosure: My only real exposure to Ibushi is in New Japan over the past year.  But I don't understand why everyone's so insanely high on him.  I think it's like how I always felt about Chris Benoit - he's obviously insanely good in the ring, but he doesn't have that special "it" factor that grabs my attention.  To me, he's just another guy.  So it doesn't bother me that we're "losing" Ibushi-Omega in favor of Omega-Jericho.  Omega-Jericho, as far as attractions, is a far more interesting match to me.

Putting aside match quality, Omega and Ibushi have a lot of history—as partners, “partners”, and opponents. So, there’s years worth of subtweets and subliminal angst to mine, plus the athletic spectacle. Hence the appeal to many. 

You could check out Lariato’s “must watch” New Japan list in order to find more of Ibushi’s previous work; but he’s an odd guy, an odd wrestler, and certainly I can see why he’d seem a hard guy to invest in. (Though I’m a big fan.)

7 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Putting aside match quality, Omega and Ibushi have a lot of history—as partners, “partners”, and opponents. So, there’s years worth of subtweets and subliminal angst to mine, plus the athletic spectacle. Hence the appeal to many. 

You could check out Lariato’s “must watch” New Japan list in order to find more of Ibushi’s previous work; but he’s an odd guy, an odd wrestler, and certainly I can see why he’d seem a hard guy to invest in. (Though I’m a big fan.)

I've seen some of it, but it's why I was comparing him to Benoit.  Back in the mid-90s, Benoit was obviously one of the best in-ring workers on the planet, that much was obvious, but he just didn't grab me.  I was far more interested in Eddie Guerrero.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer noted on the radio show this morning that the WWE is cutting down on PPVs at least through Mania

From now until at least April (and possibly through May) will only have one PPV a month

So the schedule is

• Nov: Survivor Series
  • Dec: Smackdown
  • Jan: Royal Rumble
  • Feb: RAW
  • March: Smackdown (Dave said it is possible they don't have a PPV in March at all)
  • April 8: Mania

Oh man, 2-ish months of Raw with no PPVs sounds DREADFUL.  There's gonna be so many half-assed mini-feuds that won't get resolved and main event "moments" of guys having a tug-of-war over the belt and SO MUCH Wrestlemania sign-pointing.  I mean, say what you will about the insane amount of PPVs, but at least it keeps the booking rolling.  If you're not a big fan of a feud, you know there's a decent match it will end within the month with a PPV.  Without PPVs there's going to be a lot of wheel-spinning.

A few years ago, I basically stopped watching WWE through Feb/Mar and came back after WM.  Maybe a good idea again this year...

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I had a completely different take watching the CWC.  I felt Ibushi made everyone look like a star.  Cedric and TJP looked like the next coming.  Ibushi gave the whole event a big match feel to me.  

Also,  someone saying "now Jericho won't take time from others at WrestleMania".    It's not Jericho taking time from anyone.  Whether Jericho is on the card or not,  Puddle of Mud or whoever the band is will still take up 15 minutes of time.  There will still be a half hour long segment of The Rock and all his catchphrases.  There will still be a 30+ minute Roman Reigns and/or Triple H epic with an additional 20 minutes of entrance time. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

He's salty bout not getting any WWE support for his cruise gimmick.  Cruise doesn't happen until October 2018.

And this New Japan match has been in the works since August, at least that's what Ryan Satin is saying. I'll be really shocked if he isn't on the Long Beach show. That seems like a no-brainer, especially if you're trying to expand into the United States.

3 hours ago, BEN! said:

I hope that this is the case and the combination of this and the bullet club stuff leads to Vince outright going to war with New Japan. That'll be enjoyable at least.

4 hours ago, CSC said:

At the Pyramid, which is a beautiful venue.  It's going to look sweet set up for wrestling.

111008%20LBSU%20W%20Vball%2069%20SJG-L.j

I’m seeing the attendance record for the venue is an NCAA men’s basketball game from 2012 which is listed at 6,912. Just from this photo it looks like the stage can be placed at that end not taking up many seats, with plenty more added to the floor. Will be interesting to see how quickly it sells out, if it does. 

I already booked my flight and hotel. :)

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer noted on the radio show this morning that the WWE is cutting down on PPVs at least through Mania

From now until at least April (and possibly through May) will only have one PPV a month

So the schedule is

• Nov: Survivor Series
  • Dec: Smackdown
  • Jan: Royal Rumble
  • Feb: RAW
  • March: Smackdown (Dave said it is possible they don't have a PPV in March at all)
  • April 8: Mania

It's so weird that he frames that as "cutting down" since, at the beginning of November last year, the schedule through Mania was:

• Nov 20: Survivor Series
  • Dec 4: TLC
  • Dec 18: Roadblock (does this count?)
  • Jan 29: Rumble
  • Feb 12: Elimination Chamber
  • March 5: Fastlane
  • April 2: Mania

So, they cut a grand total of one show, and that's only if you consider Roadblock a dyed in the wool PPV.