DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's big, exciting news, but I'm a bit let down we're not getting Ibushi-Omega.

Yeah, I'd be down for this for almost any other show, but Ibushi-Omega would have been the better match.  I dug Jericho's last run (and he's probably a top 10 favorite for me, in general), but I'm not sure "Dad Bod" Jericho can keep up with Omega and pull out a mega-snowflake match.

Still it will sell tickets and I'm legit curious what the match will be like.

NJPW also announced a return show in Long Beach on 03-25-2018, which is the Sunday before Wrestlemania. It is going to be held at a bigger venue this time around.

The timing makes sense and is also curious. A lot of their talent will be in the States for Supercard of Honor the following week, but it also hurts people who would most likely travel cross-country to see the show. I don’t know many wrestling fans who can afford excursions to both Los Angeles and New Orleans. 

1 hour ago, alstein said:

It doesn't have to be Okada-Omega to be good, and Jericho's diminished but he's not 2006 Flair out there.

Ibushi-Omega can still happen later.  

Jericho's biggest problem is that his eyes are too big for his stomach; he's never had a good perspective on what he's capable of physically. That was true when he broke himself trying a shooting star press twenty years ago and that was true this last year when he was botching unnecessarily complicated things against Reigns. In the WWE, that's never that big a deal because they've got constraints. Against Omega, however, I bet it'll make for a trainwreck. It'll be a trainwreck I'll probably never see though, so I don't really care.

• Like 1

I don't want to read too much into this. I doubt this will be more than a one off. I'm excited Omega vs Jericho should be a lot of fun. I'm more interested to see if Jericho in New Japan becomes a thing or not. If Jericho shows up to the Long Beach show then it's safe to say Jericho and WWE are done for awhile. Pipedream is he shows up to Supercard of Honor for Jericho vs Omega 2, so I can see it live.

2 hours ago, alstein said:

It doesn't have to be Okada-Omega to be good, and Jericho's diminished but he's not 2006 Flair out there.

Ibushi-Omega can still happen later.  

Plans change but Omega said that he and Ibushi would only wrestle at the Dome or maybe the G1 final, as they needed the stage to be special to fit the match. I completely understand why they went this direction instead but I am definitely disappointed in a sense. It'll be interesting how they book Omega over the next year because if he's jumping to WWE, it'll be when the Bucks' deal is up after 2018. Do they continue to book him like they have or do they go all in? 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 8:44 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Sure, he said that after the match to further his character. Not questioning whether he said it, questioning whether or not it is true ;) He was very very different in the trial for the Mass Transit Incident, he went from crazy to thoughtful and normal very quickly. Not doubting he has a temper, but doubting that everything he says in shoot interviews is true. He also claimed to have justified homicides but provided no proof of it.

Well he wasn't called "The next Denzel"just because he is black!

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

NJPW also announced a return show in Long Beach on 03-25-2018, which is the Sunday before Wrestlemania. It is going to be held at a bigger venue this time around.

The timing makes sense and is also curious. A lot of their talent will be in the States for Supercard of Honor the following week, but it also hurts people who would most likely travel cross-country to see the show. I don’t know many wrestling fans who can afford excursions to both Los Angeles and New Orleans. 

Just for the sake of clarity - the Long Beach show is TWO weeks before Mania

Mania is April 8th

Easter is April 1st so most folks will avoid running that day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Plans change but Omega said that he and Ibushi would only wrestle at the Dome or maybe the G1 final, as they needed the stage to be special to fit the match. I completely understand why they went this direction instead but I am definitely disappointed in a sense. It'll be interesting how they book Omega over the next year because if he's jumping to WWE, it'll be when the Bucks' deal is up after 2018. Do they continue to book him like they have or do they go all in? 

If I was New Japan, and I'm not but I would go all in with Omega and Have him be the one to beat Okada for the IWGP Championship and just run with him as champ until his contract expires and have him do the favors to someone one his way out.

I agree but I'm very biased. I'd let Okada break the IWGP records and then have Kenny take the title off of Okada once and for all, have his big match with Ibushi, and see where he's at next December. Maybe keep the Bucks around and move them to the heavyweight division if you are trying to placate Omega.

It'll be interesting to see what Gedo does with Okada/Naito. Naito is hot right now with the native audience and is popular in North America/Britain. Okada, in my mind, is the far superior wrestler though and is on such a white hot run in terms of match quality, but would Naito be better for business?

12 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

It's all a work bruthas. 

This reminds me that Jericho, JR and Chris Cruise are all yelling at each other Twitter because Cruise was unhappy that Jericho hid he was going to work Omega

Giving Naito another run probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Okada has already surpassed Hashimoto's 489 day reign and is now the longest reigning IWGP Champion. Okada beat Naito for this current reign. So it'd make sense for Naito to get some redemption. I also think that Omega should beat Okada for the Championship when he finally gets his own as Champion. It would just make sense to me and to others if Omega finally beat Okada and won the big one. Naito could win the IWGP Championship at the Dome Show, and defend the Championship over in the US when he tours the indies here in February. They could do Naito vs Okada for the Championship at Long Beach and Okada could go over. Be something special, the first time the IWGP World Championship changed hands on American soil. And then in June run Okada vs Omega and Omega finally goes over and come December they can figure out what they are going to do. If Omega is going to drop the title at Wrestle Kingdom on the 4th and leave New Japan or if he's going to continue the run and stay in New Japan. IDK if thats too many World title changes in a year of not for  New Japan but hey i think it'd be cool.

4 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

I got two texts about this from my casual wrestling fan friends before 8 am. That's all you need to know.

If your buddies are big Kenny Omega fans, it's probably time to stop referring to them as "casual" fans.

• Like 1

Meltzer noted on the radio show this morning that the WWE is cutting down on PPVs at least through Mania

From now until at least April (and possibly through May) will only have one PPV a month

So the schedule is

• Nov: Survivor Series
  • Dec: Smackdown
  • Jan: Royal Rumble
  • Feb: RAW
  • March: Smackdown (Dave said it is possible they don't have a PPV in March at all)
  • April 8: Mania
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Lots of Latin? 

That and I was thinking more of like certain indies under the umbrella in some sort of working relationship with the WWE. You're allowed to stay doing the same thing that you are doing for the most part but at the end of the day the WWE is in charge and what they say goes.

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

That and I was thinking more of like certain indies under the umbrella in some sort of working relationship with the WWE. You're allowed to stay doing the same thing that you are doing for the most part but at the end of the day the WWE is in charge and what they say goes.

The NWA under Crockett?

• Like 1