DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK NINE

Dolfan in NYC

But isn't he a free agent after this year? San Fran is basically giving Garoppolo a try out for free agency so he can try to raise his stock, while giving up a second round pick in the process. I guess their hope is that if he is good he loves San Fan enough to stay, but It may be hard to convince someone of that in just two months.

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Presumably, they didn't give up a really high second rounder without planning to tag him if necessary.

True, but the counter to that is will they really have time to assess him in just two months? He has to learn a new offense, new teammates, etc, I don't think they will know enough to give him a guaranteed 17 million or so. I mean we've seen stranger things in football, but the sample size really will be too small to know if he is worth that much money.

It's true, but they gave up a pretty valuable pick. And there's no guarantee he gets on the field any time soon. So tagging him, paying him a lot next year with no long term commitment, and being able to re-evaluate after might be the best road forward now.

What are you guys talking about? Jacoby Brissett came into a game like six days after being traded. And he's started ever since. Jimmy G will be the starting QB in three games max. Even knowing 1/4 of the offense he couldn't be worse than Hoyer/Beathard.

36 minutes ago, pipGofern said:

What are you guys talking about? Jacoby Brissett came into a game like six days after being traded. And he's started ever since. Jimmy G will be the starting QB in three games max. Even knowing 1/4 of the offense he couldn't be worse than Hoyer/Beathard.

That hasn't exactly worked out well for Indy though

So the Pats 2nd string quarterback is Edelman?   Not that I am supporting this but if there was ever a need for a defensive player to cheap shot Brady it would be now.

This trade also means that the Skins are either going to have Cousins at around $34 million next year or a long term deal which still think is unlikely.   That was the 3rd most interested team in this trade

• Like 1

Steelers have a bye this week.  I will probably be sleeping on the couch on Sunday night after the Rams kick the shit out of the Giants.

I imagine she'll use the old "YOU FORGOT TO PUT DOWN SOME MORE GRASS SEED~!!!" excuse to yell at me when she's actually upset with the Giants's pass protection and shitty record.

• Haha 1

All I'll say is this.

If Eli Manning gets traded to Jacksonville... 

Today will become an extra-special surprise DVDVR NO STRIKE DAY.  

9336957dbd99e3884212d53939d9ad4a.gif

Happy Halloween. Thank you drive through.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pipGofern said:

Brissett also has the 25th best passer rating among starters, implying that maybe it takes time to get into an offense. The argument wasn't whether Jimmy could start, of course he can, it was if he would learn their offense and players quick enough to make San Fran want to slap 17 mil on him. They gave up a 2nd for him, their goal isn't "be better than Hoyer," it is "be good enough we want to keep you forever."

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If Eli gets traded to Jacksonville, I guess will have to hit the ban button with my erection

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

All I'll say is this.

Today will become an extra-special surprise DVDVR NO STRIKE DAY.  

9336957dbd99e3884212d53939d9ad4a.gif

Happy Halloween. Thank you drive through.

Don't tease like that, man.

If the G's traded Eli, my boo would be so happy that I could be excused from having to watch the Y&R / B&B replay on Pop Network with her for the rest of my natural life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Brissett also has the 25th best passer rating among starters, implying that maybe it takes time to get into an offense. The argument wasn't whether Jimmy could start, of course he can, it was if he would learn their offense and players quick enough to make San Fran want to slap 17 mil on him. They gave up a 2nd for him, their goal isn't "be better than Hoyer," it is "be good enough we want to keep you forever."

I think we give too much credit to the complexities of football offenses.  Seriously though, the terminology isn't really that different from team to team.  There really aren't that many routes, and NFL play calls are generally coded wording that means, "hey receiver one, run over there.  Receiver two run this route.  I'm going to fake to the running back before he runs in the flat.  tight end stay in and block."  I know they like to run a lot of misdirection stuff, but once he gets the basic concepts down it isn't something a quarterback at this level can't pick up quickly.

The coaches like Adam Gase, who throw their players under the bus for not understanding the offense, are the issue here.  If your offense is so hard to understand that it takes 2-3 years to learn it, the problem is the offense not the players.  

• Like 2

Does the Eagles really have a running back situation that they would go after Ajayi?   Blount is having his usual productive but not overly spectacular year. The other guys like Smallwood are good fill ins.  

If you really want to punish him sending him to the Browns where no matter how productive he is they will still be lucky to win 2 games.  Or the Giants who could use a running back and also suck.   Never understood why bad teams think trading away guys to good teams is a punishment even if they will be nobodies on that good team.