DVDVR Message Board

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre (11/4/2017) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_217_Bisping_vs._St._Pierre_Poster.jp

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre 
November 4, 2017
New York, New York (Madison Square Garden)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Michael Bisping © (184.5) vs. Georges St-Pierre (184.5) (second defense) - St-Pierre, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:23)
UFC Bantamweight Championship: Cody Garbrandt © (135) vs. T.J. Dillashaw (135) (first defense) - Dillashaw, KO (punches), R2 (2:41)
UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Joanna Jędrzejczyk © (115) vs. Rose Namajunas (114) (sixth defense) - Namajunas, KO (punches), R1 (3:03)
Stephen Thompson (170.5) vs. Jorge Masvidal (171) - Thompson, DEC (unanimous)
Johny Hendricks (186) vs. Paulo Henrique Costa (186) - Costa, TKO (strikes), R2 (1:23)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
James Vick (155) vs. Joseph Duffy (155.5) - Vick, TKO (punches), R2 (4:59)
Walt Harris (252) vs. Mark Godbeer (244) - Godbeer, DQ (illegal kick), R1 (4:29)
Ovince St. Preux (205) vs. Corey Anderson (205.5) - St. Preux, KO (head kick), R3 (1:25)
Randy Brown (171) vs. Mickey Gall (170) - Brown, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Oleksiy Oliynyk (246) vs. Curtis Blaydes (259) - Blaydes, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (1:56)
Aiemann Zahabi (135) vs. Ricardo Ramos (135.5) - Ramos, KO (spinning back elbow), R3 (1:58)

Event Bonuses:
Performance of the Night ($25,000): Ricardo Ramos
Performance of the Night ($25,000): Ovince St. Preux
Performance of the Night ($50,000): Rose Namajunas
Performance of the Night ($50,000): T.J. Dillashaw
Performance of the Night ($50,000): Georges St-Pierre

Attendance: 18,201
Gate: $6.2 million
Buyrate: 875,000

Cancelled Fights:
Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Ion Cutelaba - Injury to Antigulov
Patrick Cummins vs. Corey Anderson - Injury to Cummins (Staph)
Ion Cutelaba vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk - Cutelaba Removed Due to Possible USADA Medical Issue

That card couldn't be more stacked.   Super excited for all of the title fights!

OSP goes from headlining the free show in Japan to jerking the curtain at MSG. 

Matchmakers were not impressed by the choke out of Otami.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

That card couldn't be more stacked.   Super excited for all of the title fights!

OSP goes from headlining the free show in Japan to jerking the curtain at MSG. 

Matchmakers were not impressed by the choke out of Otami.

I don't think it's anything against OSP. He's a late replacement for Patrick Cummins and they already formatted the TV prelims beforehand.

Fun note: I was searching how I usually put down staph infections (on whether or not I put it as Injury to XYZ under "Cancelled Fights") and during my search, the first name that popped up as having that was Patrick Cummins, who had to be pulled from the Albany card after suffering a staph infection. So yeah, this is a recurring thing with him.

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fun note: I was searching how I usually put down staph infections (on whether or not I put it as Injury to XYZ under "Cancelled Fights") and during my search, the first name that popped up as having that was Patrick Cummins, who had to be pulled from the Albany card after suffering a staph infection. So yeah, this is a recurring thing with him.

I usually hold the belief that "I am suffering from a staph infection," is actually code for "I hate that match-up so I'm out," especially since a staph infection did not stop Kevin Lee from trying to win a fucking championship.

I am just dumb that way, I guess.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I usually hold the belief that "I am suffering from a staph infection," is actually code for "I hate that match-up so I'm out," especially since a staph infection did not stop Kevin Lee from trying to win a fucking championship.

I am just dumb that way, I guess.

Staph is a touchy one because I don't think Nevada wanted to pull a main event moments before it was suppose to happen even though it's not a money fight. However, Ferguson would have been well within his rights to pull out of that fight. In many other cases, if the commission finds out something is definitively wrong with you, they will pull you ASAP. The UFC will try to get folks to seek a 2nd opinion if it's a notable fight, but with staph infections, it's kinda obvious. With Cummins having a wrestling background and being a rotating sparring partner for other guys across several gyms around the country, there is a good chance he either picked some stuff up rolling on some mats or he's probably the one who could spread it. Cummins also talked about his financial troubles in the past so I don't think he is the guy to just pull out of fights randomly.

41 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Staph is a touchy one because I don't think Nevada wanted to pull a main event moments before it was suppose to happen even though it's not a money fight. However, Ferguson would have been well within his rights to pull out of that fight. In many other cases, if the commission finds out something is definitively wrong with you, they will pull you ASAP. The UFC will try to get folks to seek a 2nd opinion if it's a notable fight, but with staph infections, it's kinda obvious. With Cummins having a wrestling background and being a rotating sparring partner for other guys across several gyms around the country, there is a good chance he either picked some stuff up rolling on some mats or he's probably the one who could spread it. Cummins also talked about his financial troubles in the past so I don't think he is the guy to just pull out of fights randomly.

Like I said, I am an idiot.

Prelim guys don't usually get paid well enough to have the luxury of picking and choosing when, where, and who to fight. 

If Cummins pulled out of the fight due to staph, it is a serious situation..

I think the problem with staph is most dudes only say after the fact. Hell, if DC and Rogan didn't scream it from the top of their lungs as he was entering the cage, the production truck might not have told Rogan to ask about it during the post fight interviews. Cummins, on the other hand, is at different gym in Southern California and Florida every other month. If anyone in the UFC gets staph, he would be one of my top choices. In addition, that might end up hurting his ability to make money as a sparring partner. For guys in boxing like a Dashon Johnson, who also moonlights as a MMA fighter and had a cup of tea in the UFC even, they can make money strictly on the basis of mimicking people and giving people several rounds of good sparring. In MMA, with the element of grappling, the last reputation you want as a probably a career sparring partner is the rep of being the dirty guy. Most of the big teams like Jackson/Wink, ATT, AKA, Team Alpha Male, and Combat Club (fka the Blackzilians) have moved into new facilities recently in the last year or so. They got too many fighters for you to come in with ringworm and staph and roll with everyone. Too big of a risk.

• Like 1

Excited for this one. I dig Bisping and was a big fan of GSP before he left. No idea what'll happen and no idea who I'd be happier to see win.

Also really looking forward to see Joanna do her thing. Her last fight was one of the most enjoyable performances I've seen all year. I like Rose too, but like just about everyone else, don't think she's ready for this challenge yet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Excited for this one. I dig Bisping and was a big fan of GSP before he left. No idea what'll happen and no idea who I'd be happier to see win.

Also really looking forward to see Joanna do her thing. Her last fight was one of the most enjoyable performances I've seen all year. I like Rose too, but like just about everyone else, don't think she's ready for this challenge yet.

No one in Joanna's division is ready for her.

Unless Rose is kissed by an angel right before the fight,  Joanna should rumble with Jessica Andrade after she's done kicking Thug in the ribs a hundred times.

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Hard to believe Rose Namajunas is on her second UFC title shot already, even though she is really good.

She probably would've gotten her shot sooner if she hadn't lost by split dec to Karolina Kowalkiewicz.

I find it harder to believe that Carla Esparza has yet to climb back into the title picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

She probably would've gotten her shot sooner if she hadn't lost by split dec to Karolina Kowalkiewicz.

I find it harder to believe that Carla Esparza has yet to climb back into the title picture.

Since that loss against Joanna, she only has three fights. Obviously, TUF takes a month and half to film and you spend time waiting for it to air so you can fight. However, if she makes it to the Cynthia Calvillo fight at 219, this will be the first year in her career she has had three fights in one calendar year since 2011.

Also, I think the UFC feels they have more entertaining options as far strawweight title challengers. You best believe they want Calvillo to win that fight so Cynthia would be a fight or two away from challenging for that strawweight title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

After watching the Vlogs I guess I have to root for Bisping now. Either he wins or his child will have to live with the guilt of jinxing his old man.

GSP is going to either surprise a bunch of people or we're going to get the MMA version of Terry Norris vs. Sugar Ray Leonard (except Bisping is two years older than GSP and on the verge of retirement himself), which also took place at MSG. 

Rockhold getting KTFOed reminds me what Angry Bisping is like when he wants to make a statement and we already know from the Serra fight that GSP's chin is somewhat suspect and he hasn't been in the octagon in about four years.

The conspiracy theorist in me is beginning to suspect that the eye injury that kept GSP from fighting at UFC 213 was a work since now they are marketing that GSP's fight this weekend will be exactly 50 PPV's since his last fight. 

Sports loves meaningless stats.

Also:

Garry Tonon believes Georges St-Pierre can become the second man to submit Michael Bisping.

:rolleyes:

GSP's last submission victory was scored nearly a decade ago.  After this big of a layoff, GSP will most likely stick to what has worked since then and be all about the takedowns and Ground / Pound.

• Like 1

Thing is before that Rockhold knockout, Bisping had a reputation of being pillowfists.  His lack of knockout power was probably one of the bigger marks against his skillset.  But he is fighting a smaller opponent this time.  

This is the Bisping and Masvidal confrontation from this week.  Warning, language is NSFW.  I think Masvidal is still angry at Bisping over the Yoel Romero/Cuban flag incident.

• Like 1

From what Meltzer said Observer Radio, I'm a bit skeptical about new muscular GSP being able to replicate what he was doing 4 or 5 years and that was when some of beginning not to be as easy to do. Kristof Midoux, who basically has served as like a spirtual cheerleader for GSP in the same way Buboy Fernandez is for Pacquiao and Bryan Perez for Miguel Cotto have done, wasn't even involved in Georges' camp for Bisping and was basically disappointed with how GSP looked when he was attempting this comeback. When dedicated people like that who follow superstar fighters around like a lapdog part ways with a fighter, I'm somewhat worried about what might happen. I'm not saying this is equivalent to Ferdie Pacheco leaving Ali's camp and GSP is about to get severe brain damage, but what are really expecting out of 36 year old Georges St-Pierre really? Maybe this Roach bit is a red herring and he is going to try to apply the same strategy Tim Kennedy executed against Bisping a few years back, and basically secure rounds through top position. However, Bisping is far from a pushover even for all his faults. When he wasn't leaving his chin out there for Anderson and in that second Hendo fight, he was executing a smart gameplan. A very flawed one yes and he's lucky to be resilient in his current run at the top, but they were smart strategies relative what his opponents were doing that ultimately helped him get those decisions. When he isn't running against giant, athletic middleweights like Rockhold, Bisping has a chance to win even though the path to victory might not be clear. Even against those freak athletes, he might still pull a rabbit out of his ass. Out of the current crop of top middleweights, you can pull a giant flaw out for any of them (and that's probably why I can't totally count out GSP fwiw). I don't think it's completely insurmountable for GSP, but tempering those expectations would be best until the first round happens.

I have no clue whatsoever what is going to happen in this fight, and that is why I'm so intrigued by it.  GSP has been able to take down ever single fighter he's been in the cage with, but he's also older, presumably less explosive, and fighting someone who is significantly larger.  If he can take Bisping down consistently, he'll be the new middleweight champion, but Bisping's take down defense has always been pretty good.  Bisping is probably the better striker, and  hits harder, but he isn't exactly elusive.  He is there to be hit by anyone who is even a decent striker.  He's just tougher than a 2 day old turd.  The one thing he seems to have a real problem with is guys with good jabs, and GSP's best strike is his jab.  If GSP can land his jab consistently and get takedowns, he wins right?  Bisping is a huge middleweight, he's a better striker, a harder hitter, and is really good at defending take downs and getting up on the occasion that he is taken down.  The funny thing is we talk about GSP like he is old, when he's the younger and should be fresher fighter.  Bisping is shop worn to the point that he essentially only has one eye.  I'm really looking forward to this one, just to see how it goes.  

32 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have no clue whatsoever what is going to happen in this fight, and that is why I'm so intrigued by it.  GSP has been able to take down ever single fighter he's been in the cage with, but he's also older, presumably less explosive, and fighting someone who is significantly larger.  If he can take Bisping down consistently, he'll be the new middleweight champion, but Bisping's take down defense has always been pretty good.  Bisping is probably the better striker, and  hits harder, but he isn't exactly elusive.  He is there to be hit by anyone who is even a decent striker.  He's just tougher than a 2 day old turd.  The one thing he seems to have a real problem with is guys with good jabs, and GSP's best strike is his jab.  If GSP can land his jab consistently and get takedowns, he wins right?  Bisping is a huge middleweight, he's a better striker, a harder hitter, and is really good at defending take downs and getting up on the occasion that he is taken down.  The funny thing is we talk about GSP like he is old, when he's the younger and should be fresher fighter.  Bisping is shop worn to the point that he essentially only has one eye.  I'm really looking forward to this one, just to see how it goes.  

Except we've seen the Condit and Hendricks fights though. Bisping was a kickboxer prior to jumping to MMA, but on the highest level, GSP is a bit older. Bisping has had tough fights, but you never saw a Bisping fight and went "Damn, Bisping got old." I've seen Bisping fights and wondered why he isn't listening to Anthony McGann (when he was still training at Wolfslair) or Jason Parillo. That's happened plenty of times. It may be naturally getting old, but those brutal workouts Jonathan Chaimberg put GSP  through may have taken their toll on Georges and accelerated that process. King Mo told our old moderator sprewellrimz that he ain't ever seen anything like the workouts that Chaimberg put together and this dude trained at the goddamn Olympic Training Center with some of the best athletes in the entire nation.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Except we've seen the Condit and Hendricks fights though. Bisping was a kickboxer prior to jumping to MMA, but on the highest level, GSP is a bit older. Bisping has had tough fights, but you never saw a Bisping fight and went "Damn, Bisping got old." I've seen Bisping fights and wondered why he isn't listening to Anthony McGann (when he was still training at Wolfslair) or Jason Parillo. That's happened plenty of times. It may be naturally getting old, but those brutal workouts Jonathan Chaimberg put GSP  through may have taken their toll on Georges and accelerated that process. King Mo told our old moderator sprewellrimz that he ain't ever seen anything like the workouts that Chaimberg put together and this dude trained at the goddamn Olympic Training Center with some of the best athletes in the entire nation.

I feel you, but Georges has been knocked out once in his entire career (he never went unconscious), and avoided damage for most of his career.  Bisping getting knocked out cold by Henderson, getting thumped by Rockhold before getting tapped their first fight, getting knocked out but somehow still winning against Anderson Silva, and the spin kick from TRTitor has to slow you down a bit.  GSP didn't look good his last two fights, but as far as I know he can see out of both eyes and his chin should still be pretty solid.  Bisping is a guy who has peaked late, but other than Rockhold, he hasn't been fighting the best and the brightest.  No one with any knowledge of MMA would pick him to ever beat Rockhold again, not to mention Jacare, Romero, or Bobby Knuckles.  He came pretty close to getting stopped early in the second Henderson fight.  He also hasn't fought in over a year which means a lot at his age (not that a 4 year layoff is good).  He could step into the cage and be completely depleted.  There is a chance both of these dudes are completely washed, but I don't think GSP getting shop worn by his workout regiment is worse than Bisping getting shop worn from brain trauma.